follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
LSD! no not the drug!

So i'm wondering if I can get help from the community with this topic. Not too knowledgable with this stuff, but I'm looking to get more grip and I was TOLD that a different LSD would definitely help me. Of course with the right one. I would like some help in making a decision which one would help achieve more grip. I'm not interested in drifting. Again, my knowledge is close to none of differentials. Any help would be great!

currently, I have kw v3, full cusco bracing front to rear minus the trans components and minus the rear bumper cross bar.

thanks in advance!
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The solution to this problem is a wide body kit...or just cut your fenders and run wider wheels and tires.

On a serious note, this is a really cool topic and I look forward to hearing/reading responses from knowledgeable individuals.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The solution to this problem is a wide body kit...or just cut your fenders and run wider wheels and tires.

On a serious note, this is a really cool topic and I look forward to hearing/reading responses from knowledgeable individuals.
Lolol oh gawd no hahahahhah
Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Your looking for more grip where? What tires, alignment settings, damper settings, and cross weights did you settle on?

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk now Free
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yea... I do not think changing the LSD will give you more grip. Want more grip, get stickier tires and modify the suspension.

Just my $0.02.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eurasianman For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Garage
Where are you losing grip? Are you plowing through corners or are you looking for a better launch?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
Yea... I do not think changing the LSD will give you more grip. Want more grip, get stickier tires and modify the suspension.

Just my $0.02.
Ty I have nitto nt05 with suspension that is set up
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
Where are you losing grip? Are you plowing through corners or are you looking for a better launch?
Cornering to be exact. I mean it's amazing now but I'm looking for that extra grip or amount of control I guess you could say
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Your looking for more grip where? What tires, alignment settings, damper settings, and cross weights did you settle on?

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk now Free
Have nt05s Camber at -1.8 around to try and keep tire life alive and have good amount of cornering. Damper is a little softer in the rear while front is a little stiffer than factory kw settings which are amazing and corner balanced
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Books

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Cornering to be exact. I mean it's amazing now but I'm looking for that extra grip or amount of control I guess you could say
I'm still a bit confused, but I think that maybe what you're trying to fix is understeer/oversteer? Adjusting some sway bars and camber would be able to do the trick. But what it really comes down to is tires, both compound and size, because that is the what touches the ground. Beyond that, you are pushing physics.

Also: With tires, the more grip they have the less life they will have too.

Last edited by Books; 10-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
ft86me

Quote:
I'm still a bit confused, but I think that maybe what you're trying to fix is understeer/oversteer? Adjusting some sway bars and camber would be able to do the trick. But what it really comes down to is tires, both compound and size, because that is the what touches the ground. Beyond that, you are pushing physics.
Well my main thing is to see which LSD would help me. Not drifting. Going for grip. That's all the info I'm really lookin for just a extra little grip. My suspension setup now is amazing w tires and all that just lookin into an upgraded LSD would help me. I see things about 1.5 2.0 helical and all that
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Books

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Well my main thing is to see which LSD would help me. Not drifting. Going for grip. That's all the info I'm really lookin for just a extra little grip. My suspension setup now is amazing w tires and all that just lookin into an upgraded LSD would help me. I see things about 1.5 2.0 helical and all that
You're looking for extra grip, so where are you losing grip? Front tires giving out? Rear tires giving out? One side has to give up.

An LSD doesn't increase grip, it allows you to put power down in the right spots. (IE take advantage of grip)

What you're probably looking for is to see how to improve your lateral acceleration (or lateral Gs, or skidpad). I think you should start your research there before deciding on a new LSD.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
ft86me

Quote:
You're looking for extra grip, so where are you losing grip? Front tires giving out? Rear tires giving out? One side has to give up.

An LSD doesn't increase grip, it allows you to put power down in the right spots.

What you're probably looking for is to see how to improve your lateral acceleration (or lateral Gs, or skidpad). I think you should start your research there before deciding on a new LSD.
Hmmm I'll just go back to my tuner shop that has some track frs and go with what they say. Thank you for the input
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Lol.... If you are not losing grip.... Why do you need more? If you are losing grip, where and when is it happening? Corner exit? Entry? Throttle on? Is it from the front tires or the rear? If you don't know then you don't need parts you need seat time. We have some very serious racers on this forum. Guys that are setting track records. I have yet to see an upgraded LSD on any of their builds.

Grip comes from the tires and it mediated by the suspension. The diff is involved with getting the power to the ground. If you walk in to a shop asking about buying a new differential guess what they are going to tell you...
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote