follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you need hubcentric rings on aftermarket wheels?

Hubcentric rings allow the bore of the aftermarket wheel to be the same exact size as the hub bore. This makes it completely idiot-proof to mount the wheels incorrectly. It appears that getting hubcentric rings is a no-brainer, right?

I did a little research and this is what I've found.

There's argument stating that not only do the rings help straighten the wheel when mounting them, but it also helps support the wheel, such as, absorbing road vibrations. Due to the wheel bore and the hub bore sizes being exactly the same, there's no play for the wheel to move around. However, this is false. The majority of the rings are thin and made out of plastic or aluminum. Under extreme g-forces, does it really seem reasonable that these rings can help support the wheel? This begs the question: do hubcentric rings provide any benefit besides aiding in the mounting of the wheel?

Many say that hubcentric rings aren't needed to properly mount and center a wheel. If one properly mounts a wheel by using the correct aftermarket lug nuts, hand tightening in a star pattern, and torquing to the proper specification, then a wheel will be centered.

For the track enthusiasts, it's actually recommended not to install these rings because they can potentially melt under extreme conditions. Here are just a few quotes from S2000 members.

Quote:
A BIG word of caution to anyone who uses them, plastic or Al.

They have a tendancy to get stuck inside the wheel or on the hub. If a wheel with one stuck inside it is mounted to a hub with one stuck on it the wheel will not mount flush. Instead there will be a very small gap between the wheel and hub.

If you are lucky the wheel will wobble when you first start out after mounting it and you will quickly realize there is something very wrong.

If you are unlucky the wheel wont wobble and at some point later the lug nuts will work themselves loose with the loss of the wheel while moving a very likely outcome.

Ask me how i know.
Quote:
My plastic rings melted after a half-day session at the track. After reading this thread, I won't be using the rings again.
Quote:
I have Volk wheels and have absolutely melted the plastic hub centric rings that came with the wheels. This was from 2 track days - looked like a shrinky dink. Only the front melted.
You can find more information about melting rings by visiting this thread.
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/2959...bcentric+rings

Based on these facts, we can conclude a couple of things. For your average driver, hubcentric rings can aid in properly centering your wheel. For track enthusiasts, it is not recommended to install the rings because they can potentially overheat and melt. However, one can can properly center their wheel without the hubcentric rings as long as it's mounted properly.

What are your thoughts on this topic?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My thoughts are that you'd be an idiot to think thin plastic rings would hold up being sandwiched between your wheel and hub. As for the aluminum ones, they may malform, but only after so much abuse that other components of your car are likely to be failing as well. And I certainly don't see the aluminum ones melting.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
dem00n (12-10-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
No, not needed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miniata For This Useful Post:
Travisty75 (05-06-2015), wparsons (05-06-2015)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Aznsky

Drives: Nissan 350Z (sold) 13' Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I never used it on my 350z, especially because I was tracking the car.

However I was really careful each time I installed my track wheels. Star pattern, correct lugnuts, and kept on jiggling the wheel as I tightened to make sure it's centered.

But honestly I did get some minor vibrations on the highway (resonance was like 70mph) so maybe my way wasn't perfect either.
Aznsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wouldnt, but thats me
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
The plastic rings that came with my Enkeis survived a track day but they feel brittle so I'll probably leave them off from now on if I can't find some aluminum ones.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
So I grabbed one of the plastic rings from my Enkeis and checked the specs

Am I reading this correctly?
72.62mm Outer Diameter (wheel bore size)
56.15mm Diameter (vehicle hub size)

If so, these are the ONLY metal rings I can find, and this ebay page keeps making Chrome crash and it's freaking me out...
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

If so, these are the ONLY metal rings I can find, and this ebay page keeps making Chrome crash and it's freaking me out...
i don't think aluminum is that much more durable than plastic. if you're going to track the car, the consenus is to mount the wheels without the rings.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-10-2012), wparsons (05-06-2015)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
lugs are designed to hold the wheel to the hub not support the weight of the wheels. the hub supports the weight of the wheels thats why hubcentric rings are a must for aftermarket wheels.

I have used plastic ones for years without any problems.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Proper Aluminum rings should survive even the toughest beatings. My SSR's came with hardened aluminum CNC machined centering rings. I wouldn't run without them, they give me piece of mind and even under heavy track use they shouldn't warp. While I can see plastic rings melting, I cannot see aluminum rings melting. Soft aluminum may warp and deform...but proper hardened 6061 or better (dare I say it, 7075) aluminum rings shouldn't. Proper rings can only help, I track with my rings in and haven't had a single problem yet. I also have one of the higher mileage BRZ's on this forum at 12,000 miles. I've had these wheels on the car since about 2,000 miles and I live in an area that is notorious for potholes and crappy roads.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Not needed for this car. There are other cars that do need them though (BMWs come to mind...)
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Mad_Mike (09-12-2014), Travisty75 (05-06-2015), Xiijuwa (12-04-2015)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

1010tires will make you any size you want IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
For the track enthusiasts, it's actually recommended not to install these rings because they can potentially melt under extreme conditions. Here are just a few quotes from S2000 members.
They bought $35000 Hondas...why would you listen to them?

OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
1010tires will make you any size you want IIRC.

They bought $35000 Hondas...why would you listen to them?

1010tires has 72.62 to 56.15 on their list in both Aluminum and Plastic. Get the aluminum ones if you do. It may also be worth it to call and ask them what grade of aluminum they manufacture their rings out of. If it's a 2000-series aluminum then it will be pretty soft and may deform. If it's 6000-series or 7000-series then you should be fine!

In all honesty you could probably go to a local machine shop and ask them to make you a set out of high performance aluminum. Drawing up a hubcentric ring in CAD and transfering it to a CNC milling machine shouldn't take more than half an hour....it's not like these are complex forms to create in CAD, it's two circles. Could be easily cut out on a WaterJet from some aluminum plate and then refined on a CNC Mill super easily.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-02-2013)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I also have one of the higher mileage BRZ's on this forum at 12,000 miles.
I am around 12,500. PWND!

I have not had any issues with my aluminum hubcentric rings on two sets of wheels (no tracking, plenty of spirited driving). A couple of them stick to the wheels a bit, but still come off easily. They don't stick to the hub at all. I find it simply makes it a lot easier to mount, as I can get the studs centered before even putting the first nut on, and it can be held with one hand while the other grabs a nut (get your mind out of the gutter).

I have no idea what grade Al they are. I see the plastic ones as cheap insurance for crappy tire shop techs. And there are lots of those.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote