follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #995
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
I havent dyno'd yet. I have GT 2860r on a 7 psi spring but tuned by James on 10 psi. Im looking to remain on pump gas. My OEM clutch hasnt slipped once but I smell clutch randomly everytime I drive now and that thing aint built for that much power anyways.

Heard good things from South bend and clutch masters.

Did you only install the exedy clutch or did you add flywheel or other things around that? and does it have a light pedal feel?
Exedy makes a LW flywheel, but I'm not a fan of them. Car revs quick enough as it is, and LWFWs tend to decrease load on the motor, which does not help turbo spool. I purchased an OEM flywheel when I did mine. The pedal feel is pretty light yes, it is noticeably stiffer than factory but not by much. It feels maybe 10 percent heavier. A lot of people get hung up on the number, and tend to overlook this clutch because it's "just stage 1".
ShadowReaper (01-23-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #996
dirtbike250x

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems more people are running the recirculating waste gate verse the dump type is there a difference other than sound?
-TRD Catback, UEL Header and Tune, Blitz Drop in Filter, Mishimoto Silicone Intake tube, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, 17x9 w/245/40/17 PSS, RS*R Coilovers custom track alignment, Check out my YouTube for more track videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...O1T2Q3xu4m4bYQ
dirtbike250x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #997
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbike250x View Post
Seems more people are running the recirculating waste gate verse the dump type is there a difference other than sound?
Recirculating will create a tiny tiny bit more turbo lag. Only something you'd notice in data, I doubt you'd feel the difference. You'd be silly to turn down recirc at the price they're offering. If you go non recirc, it's not the end of the world, but it's more work to switch once you've got everything installed.

The sound is more intense than you hear on YouTube. You need to ride in one, or have one go WOT while you watch and inevitably cover your ears.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #998
MadArkitekt

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Recirculating will create a tiny tiny bit more turbo lag. Only something you'd notice in data, I doubt you'd feel the difference. You'd be silly to turn down recirc at the price they're offering. If you go non recirc, it's not the end of the world, but it's more work to switch once you've got everything installed.

The sound is more intense than you hear on YouTube. You need to ride in one, or have one go WOT while you watch and inevitably cover your ears.

My understanding is the opposite: Recirculating should cut down on lag. Pressure spikes as the throttle body closes, diverting gas to the recirculating valve, where said gas is redirected, bypassing the engine and entering the exhaust, keeping your turbo spooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MadArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #999
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArkitekt View Post
My understanding is the opposite: Recirculating should cut down on lag. Pressure spikes as the throttle body closes, diverting gas to the recirculating valve, where said gas is redirected, bypassing the engine and entering the exhaust, keeping your turbo spooled.

For the BOV yes; we are referring to the wastegate, since the JDL kit has an externally wastegated system. If it recirculates back into the exhaust, it's competing with that already heavy traffic. That's my theory anyway, I can't prove it with a whiteboard and Honda S2000.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
MadArkitekt (01-28-2018), Shibby (03-05-2018), tato.valverde (03-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #1000
MadArkitekt

Quote:
For the BOV yes; we are referring to the wastegate, since the JDL kit has an externally wastegated system. If it recirculates back into the exhaust, it's competing with that already heavy traffic. That's my theory anyway, I can't prove it with a whiteboard and Honda S2000.

Ahh, yes. I’m so used to big blocks and super chargers, I completely forgot how much more complicated a turbo setup is.

I opine the internal wastegate would only pose and issue if the exhaust were smaller than 2.5” ID. (I’m ball-parking that as I’ve read 3” ID accommodates much larger turbo systems.)

However, you could always rock a 3” ID exhaust system from the turbo back and likely see no issue.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #1001
MadArkitekt

Quote:

Ahh, yes. I’m so used to big blocks and super chargers, I completely forgot how much more complicated a turbo setup is.

I opine the internal wastegate would only pose and issue if the exhaust were smaller than 2.5” ID. (I’m ball-parking that as I’ve read 3” ID accommodates much larger turbo systems.)

However, you could always rock a 3” ID exhaust system from the turbo back and likely see no issue.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #1002
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArkitekt View Post

Yes, a larger exhaust would help. If you're running an internal wastegate, this issue is irrelevant, since the exhaust gas routing happens inside of the turbo exhaust housing and is automatically dumped into the exhaust.

Also, a question of my own; I just noticed they've dropped the PTE turbo in favor of another Garrett; does anyone know the specs of the base model "GT28" turbo they're offering as a replacement for the PTE? Certainly it's not Garrett's new turbo that was released at SEMA..

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 01-28-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar yo
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #1003
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, a larger exhaust would help. If you're running an internal wastegate, this issue is irrelevant, since the exhaust gas routing happens inside of the turbo exhaust housing and is automatically dumped into the exhaust.

Also, a question of my own; I just noticed they've dropped the PTE turbo in favor of another Garrett; does anyone know the specs of the base model "GT28" turbo they're offering as a replacement for the PTE? Certainly it's not Garrett's new turbo that was released at SEMA..
Alan said in the FB group that it was a journal bearing GT28, definitely not the new G series turbos.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #1004
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
Alan said in the FB group that it was a journal bearing GT28, definitely not the new G series turbos.
Ok good to know. I was going to buy a kit just for the turbo if that was the case! Haha.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #1005
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Got around 2000 miles with the kit. Has any of you owners of this kit been getting a constant smell that shows up and goes? Smells at the beginning of driving with the kit?

I've never had a turbo kit before, so I don't quite know what the smells are. The only smells I can distinguish are clutch and coolant. It smells like something is burning maybe.. I have checked for leaks DAILY. I did have a PCV valve leak that I fixed in 1 day. but the smell is still popping in and out. I originally though it was the ceramic coat but now I'm starting to steer away from that.

Anybody?

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #1006
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
Got around 2000 miles with the kit. Has any of you owners of this kit been getting a constant smell that shows up and goes? Smells at the beginning of driving with the kit?

I've never had a turbo kit before, so I don't quite know what the smells are. The only smells I can distinguish are clutch and coolant. It smells like something is burning maybe.. I have checked for leaks DAILY. I did have a PCV valve leak that I fixed in 1 day. but the smell is still popping in and out. I originally though it was the ceramic coat but now I'm starting to steer away from that.

Anybody?
Are you full catless? Or just header is missing a cat? Were you full stock before? Sometimes with new kits you'll get a burning smell from the header because of the coating and whatnot, but more often then not due to the airflow, you'll smell a lot more smells than before.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #1007
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Are you full catless? Or just header is missing a cat? Were you full stock before? Sometimes with new kits you'll get a burning smell from the header because of the coating and whatnot, but more often then not due to the airflow, you'll smell a lot more smells than before.
Not full cat less, still have stock FP/OP,. I have JDL UEL header now, but when I had the Borla UEL I did get a smell at first but then it eventually disappeared.

I figured after 2 months/ 2000miles that smell would be gone if it was the header or ceramic coat but now I'm starting to worry since it's still present,

Smell isn't permanent but sometimes while or after I accelerate and I don't have to be WOT for it to smell, I mainly stay between 2000-3000

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:31 AM   #1008
kimcheefists

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
I have a V2 kit.

Making progress, but these brackets just don't make sense to me. I can see they are angled out so it appears they would countour the curve of the oem crash beam, however the intercooler is sitting as far back as possible. You can see the charge pipe nearly touching the a/c heat exchange. I'll keep playing with it and see where it goes.

Looking back on page 24, this picture was posted. Brackets are closer together and not sticking out as far. I dunno.

Were you ever able to figure out what the issue was with your intercooler?
kimcheefists is offline   Reply With Quote