follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #85
Skeneypoo

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
If you wanted an LS, then why didn’t you buy a Corvette?
You should walk around an FD event asking drivers that
Skeneypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeneypoo For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (12-23-2017), Jaden (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #86
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeneypoo View Post
You should walk around an FD event asking drivers that
Hahaha!

I know how much Rick likes that question and it’s been a while since someone has said it so I figured I’d throw it out there.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (01-05-2018), DustinS (12-26-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #87
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hahaha!

I know how much Rick likes that question and it’s been a while since someone has said it so I figured I’d throw it out there.
Yes I love that question....people either get it or don't....Better yet ask me why my trade in for my FRS was a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang....and not just an ordinary Boss but the more track orientated Laguna Seca model....which I had already put a half roll cage in btw.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #88
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
Yes I love that question....people either get it or don't....Better yet ask me why my trade in for my FRS was a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang....and not just an ordinary Boss but the more track orientated Laguna Seca model....which I had already put a half roll cage in btw.
Probably because you didn’t want to deal with the door panel fabric/leather peeling off after two years of ownership.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #89
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry I don't agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No it is not.
A cage is intended for a dedicated race car and is to be used in conjunction with other safety devices.
There are different types of cages designed for different things and mostly a roll cage is for exactly that, rolling over and it will always be safer to roll in a car with a cage than one without it.

If your intent is to increase chassis rigidity, then that will affect side impact crash safety only. Crumple zones are typically the engine bay and the trunk area, so it is highly unlikely to do anything to safety in a front or rear end crash.

Again, that is depending also on what type of roll cage you have. Some will extend into the rear crumple zone and could affect rear end safety; however, it is absolutely absurd to say that a cage without a helmet will DECREASE your safety.

In an impact you have, glass, steel and road and other cars steel and glass coming at you, so having a frame that encases you in NO WAY increases your risk.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (01-05-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 12:25 AM   #90
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Hate to burst your bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
Not irrelevant...It was clearly said that the chassis felt tight when you drove it stock implying that it will retain this same "tightness" afterwards. I was merely explaining why that is not correct.

I was actually hoping you'd respond with.. "Putting a Porsche flat 6 in there so jokes on you!" But I guess not.

Just because you don't like the information doesn't make it false but don't mind me, I am just one ricer in a slow and uncomfortable car among thousands passing through here.
Rigidity of the chassis will not change with the drivetrain. Handling characteristics likely will, but the general rigidity and feel of said rigidity shouldn't change at all. That is unless you are changing things with the frame in order to accommodate the new drivetrain.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (01-05-2018), ILLSMOQ (12-24-2017), TorontoNat (01-24-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #91
JMon85

Drives: 2019 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
ITT: a bunch of people who haven't played with actually floppy chassis from early 90s japanese cars.
I chuckled..
JMon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMon85 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-16-2018), e1_griego (01-16-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #92
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I'd be curious to know if they're steel or aluminum as well...that seems like a pretty comprehensive kit, but a fair amount of weight to add. Not an issue with you swap guys, but for those of us who are counting every ounce with stock motors, it'd be a bigger deal.
Went to order the agency power kit because it seemed like it would allow for the most clearance of the other modifications best but I found it was discontinued. Did a little digging and discovered there are a few knockoff kits available like the one T-coat posted and they looked identical in the pics. I usually wouldn’t order cheap stuff but this isn’t a super techie part...so I ordered up the eBay obx kit (said aluminum in the description and it’s the right color) Anyway the price was right for a gamble.

1000hp axles are close but there is a good bit of clearance.

It seems like good stuff. Feels pretty solid. Fit and finish is pretty good. Hardware it came with isn’t all that great though We’ll see how it works out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
venturaII (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #93
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Went to order the agency power kit because it seemed like it would allow for the most clearance of the other modifications best but I found it was discontinued. Did a little digging and discovered there are a few knockoff kits available like the one T-coat posted and they looked identical in the pics.
For the record, what is a "knockoff" to you may be the actual original product. Hard to tell what is made in-house these days... brands that see a little bit of everything often buy from multiple sources.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #94
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
For the record, what is a "knockoff" to you may be the actual original product. Hard to tell what is made in-house these days... brands that see a little bit of everything often buy from multiple sources.
From what I read obx copies everything.

As far as these braces, what I found was the agency kit came out a long time ago. Reading their instructions online (they have legit instructions https://www.agency-power.com/install...hassis-braces/ ). they seemed to come with a much more complete hardware kit.

This obx kit didn’t come with instructions. The hardware isn’t quite right.

Anyway, the actual braces look identical so maybe they are knock offs or maybe they were all made in the same place. Who knows, I’ve seen a few different brands of this kit and the actual parts look identical.

I’m happy with these and the price was great, so thumbs up from me.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #95
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
The more I look at the other “brands” of this kit the more they they look the same including the agency powerkit, just with a different name haha.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #96
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The more I look at the other “brands” of this kit the more they they look the same just with a different name haha.
Even more fun is when an established brand has the same product with a new part number.

Nothing different, right? Except perhaps they changed suppliers. But hard to say without burning bridges.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #97
ILLSMOQ

Quote:
Even more fun is when an established brand has the same product with a new part number.

Nothing different, right? Except perhaps they changed suppliers. But hard to say without burning bridges.
Price was way different....half
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #98
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
so I ordered up the eBay obx kit (said aluminum in the description and it’s the right color) Anyway the price was right for a gamble.

It seems like good stuff. Feels pretty solid. Fit and finish is pretty good. Hardware it came with isn’t all that great though We’ll see how it works out.

Ahh - I've used OBX stuff once in the past, and had no complaints. Their prices are dirt cheap, and the products tend to work since they copy a lot of other product design. I bought a set of stainless headers for another car that were pretty clearly a copy of a FAR more expensive brand ($300 shipped versus $1500 + shipping). The only complaint was that the collector flange welds were pretty rough inside, but little time with a burr took care of that. Body bracing is far less difficult to produce, so I bet these end up working nicely. Very tempting...thanks for the link.