follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I actually like the DGM in the pics you took, but not sure if it's just the lighting.
I originally saw the DGM on a friend's STI 5-door and fell in love. I was concerned after seeing some pics on various sites of the BRZ that it was not the same DGM because it seemed so dark but it is - and it's a beautiful color. As others have mentioned it's extremely metallic (in a good way) and can definitely appear... royal... (read: deep purple) in some lighting.

The most difficult color to see on the web is red though. I have yet to see an accurate representation of Lightning Red through photos, but another friend's STI is that color and it looks great in person. It's almost like they used flat red and then glossed it, unlike most of the other colors that look completely glossy/metallic throughout.
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
Oriental Life

Drives: Forester 2007, BRZ Limited '13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thank you, great pictures! DGM is beautiful!

DGM looks darker in the sunlight and ligher when its cloudy. Thats what I like about it, it is almost black in the night, but you don't get to notice scratches like you do on the black cars. Also, I think front fascia looks the best on BRZ with this color. Very flush and elegant.

Add 40% tint, and its going to look even better.
Oriental Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
With dark grey paint I'm always worried it will look like primer, but it looks really nice in those pics.
-- Niki Lauda
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #32
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
I originally saw the DGM on a friend's STI 5-door and fell in love. I was concerned after seeing some pics on various sites of the BRZ that it was not the same DGM because it seemed so dark but it is - and it's a beautiful color. As others have mentioned it's extremely metallic (in a good way) and can definitely appear... royal... (read: deep purple) in some lighting.

The most difficult color to see on the web is red though. I have yet to see an accurate representation of Lightning Red through photos, but another friend's STI is that color and it looks great in person. It's almost like they used flat red and then glossed it, unlike most of the other colors that look completely glossy/metallic throughout.
I saw the Red FRS in natural lighting and it is a good red but I'm still going with DGM/Asphalt. When get mine June 1, I let you know if their is a Purple Haze.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
ucmecheng

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I actually like the DGM in the pics you took, but not sure if it's just the lighting.
It's not the lighting, it really does look awesome. Maybe its just the car in general that looks amazing in person, but pictures really dont do it justice - the color or the car.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
I'm still dying to listen to the audio system with an I-pod hook up to Aux input... 300W and 8 speakers, god I cannot wait! (prolly leave it stock too)
Only the FR-S comes with a 300W system. The BRZ is 196W.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmecheng View Post
I preordered a black MT premium 2 weeks ago from a Beechmont Subaru in Cincinnati, OH. This week they had a dark grey metallic 6MT limited at a different nearby dealership, Joseph Subaru in Florence, KY. Up until now I had never laid my eyes on the beast. They wouldn't let me test drive it, but I got to sit in it, start it, rev it, etc. Pictures simply do not to the car justice. You have to see it in person.

Humble first impressions:

Exterior: Sex
Interior: Sex
Exhaust note: Sex
Shifter: Sex
Audio System: Sex

Seriously though, I had my doubts about the car after reading the negative reviews. Overall size of the car, quality of interior, sound system, fit and finish, etc. After being in the car myself, these concerns are all gone. At first impression, the car is small - but not too small. Think Civic coupe, only it sits much lower. The car is very spacious on the inside. There is plenty of headroom and you don't feel cramped at all (as long as you're not in the back seat). The interior quality is very nice. For those reviewers upset with it, or those that think it is not up to snuff, you must be comparing it to BMWs and the like. I was just in a 2012 SI and the interior build quality was very similar. For the price of the car the interior is very well matched. The steering wheel felt fantastic - the thickness was great and I could tell that while driving it would offer great control.

I briefly tried the audio and it sounded very good as well. The shifter moves soundly and has a short throw. It felt very well made. The trunk was smaller, but I expected that. Maybe a little smaller than I imagined, but its not terrible. All of the doors/hood/trunk felt solid upon opening and closing. It's no luxury car, but you're not paying for one. The hood was incredibly light.

The exhaust.... oh, the exhaust. It sounded amazing. I had the door open while i was reving it, and the warble of the exhaust sounded great. I liken the exhaust note/engine growl to a crowd of pissed off demons eager to eat the bones of unsuspecting toddlers. It's hungry.

Only thing left now is to take delivery of mine and drive it for real! I can't wait.
Black, Blue, and the DGM is the way to go on the BRZ! SEX, SEX, and more SEX!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
arkybrz

Drives: '11 WRX DGM Ltd., '13 BRZ SSM Ltd.
I have a DGM WRX which should be the exact same color as on the BRZ. You can definitely see the metal flake in the paint and the car looks lighter or darker depending on lighting.

Overall, I love it and think it's the best looking color on the current gen WRX, but I prefer a lighter paint on the BRZ. IMO, I feel the DGM hides the lines of the BRZ too much, which is why I went with SSM. The WRX has much more aggressive and exaggerated lines, so they stick out regardless of color. Either way, I think you guys that ordered DGM will love it and it's incredibly easy to keep clean and hides scratches really well.
arkybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #37
Oriental Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post

I don't care! I have sealed 800W Kenwood amp sitting in the garage, and I'll replace BRZ speakers as soon as I confirm measurements. No sub, just clean sound all around for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oriental Life For This Useful Post:
carbonBLUE (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental Life View Post
I don't care! I have sealed 800W Kenwood amp sitting in the garage, and I'll replace BRZ speakers as soon as I confirm measurements. No sub, just clean sound all around for me.
thats what i did the day i bought my celica, went with sony components all around, no crackle on the highest volume setting :P good bass too

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #39
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
Wait really? How did I miss that? The higher end Subaru has a crappier sound system?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #40
Oriental Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Wait really? How did I miss that? The higher end Subaru has a crappier sound system?
Relax. Those 300W are 120W from the head unit + 180W from an amp. What a joke.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #41
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
It's not all about power you know. The Subaru head unit appears vastly superior to the base Scion unit.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #42
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm not concerned so much about the head unit as I am the actual speaker components. I'm not very knowledgeable about stereo stuff, so someone will have to enlighten me. Do the cars both have the same speakers? Will the Subaru sound as good as the Scion?