follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes. There are many factors that go into what the car will cost for insurance and the actual car is only a very small part of that. My insurance went up a staggering $6 a year when I got mine.
That's because you're old .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (10-13-2015), Tcoat (10-13-2015), Ultramaroon (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's because you're old .......

humfrz
With no tickets (unlike sooooome people here)
Tectoniic (10-13-2015), Ultramaroon (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #31
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
With no tickets (unlike sooooome people here)
Well, yes ..... you got me there.......

UPDATE: My request for a Washington state deferral of that ticket, was approved by a judge, so, all I have to do is be a good boy for the next 6 months and it won't go on my record.

Ya know, the speed limits down here, are set for all vehicles, including lumbering motor homes, ...... driving through the mountain twisties, in a FR-S, along with the motor homes ...... is not much fun ......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-13-2015), Ultramaroon (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
mike7792

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
As my late grandfather once told me when I wanted to buy a brand new 1981 Toyota SR5 Corolla Liftback, "Eh, the car will always be there, go work and buy it on your own".....I did but bought a used one.
Best advice in this whole thread.
mike7792 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike7792 For This Useful Post:
86geek (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I agree with other members on this thread that your best route is to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Scion FR-S, not the modded FR-S you linked to. Do a search for one here: http://www.scioncertified.com/frs.html

I purchased mine this way in early 2014 with 4k miles on it.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #34
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeoen View Post
Hi I'm looking to purchase a used frs off this forum and i've tried to use the search function but can't find the answers. My parents don't really know much about what i'm asking either so since it seems like i'm pretty bad at using the search function i'll straight up ask them here.

Some of these questions may seem basic, but i really have no clue of what i'm doing this will be the first car I've owned (currently drive parents car).
1. I should get the car checked out by a shop (third party) or something before purchasing right?

Always. Even better do a engine compression test and smog if you're new to vehicles.

2. Is there a list of optimal things to do after buying the car? I mean like clear bra or something not mods.

Just like hooker, depends on the size of your wallet and how cheap you want it. It rocks stock. If something get new tires, springs and cusco front strut. Bam! feels like a new car!

3. How do mods affect warranty, the one i'm looking at doesn't seem to have anything too serious done to it like a turbo or supercharged.

If you new to cars, get a 100% or as close as you can stock. Toyota certified preowned may be your friend. Seen 2013 models go for 16k clean title with 80k miles.

BTW, dont worry about mods before you have the car. You might not even like it in the end. Go drive one for 15+ min and check it out. It's slow but i like it slow. /wink

4. Also how does dealership warranty or something work when i get it from another user from this forum?

If warranty, its through the private seller. You and him fill out a paper transferring the warranty if applicable.

@Bjeoen

Personally, i dont recomend this car as a first. IB4tF

What I mean is that although it is a great first car, if you dont have any experience in driving anything, this might get you in trouble or attract unwanted attention...etc etc Plus, its a cheapo $25k car but for me the $25k is my $100k.

Would I recommend this car personally? I'd send you towards a Focus or a Civic first. Even a Mustang. Not trying to make this sound mean, but a first car is a big step. Especially if you still rely on others or are just brand new to the game. That's not bad either. We all move in different paces.

Here's the link to the cars on this site.

Dealer here

Private seller here

Certified preowned FRS's here

Where you live? If local to someone, maybe we can help you test drive it out.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
@Bjeoen

Personally, i dont recomend this car as a first. IB4tF

What I mean is that although it is a great first car, if you dont have any experience in driving anything, this might get you in trouble or attract unwanted attention...etc etc Plus, its a cheapo $25k car but for me the $25k is my $100k.

Would I recommend this car personally? I'd send you towards a Focus or a Civic first. Even a Mustang. Not trying to make this sound mean, but a first car is a big step. Especially if you still rely on others or are just brand new to the game. That's not bad either. We all move in different paces.

This. He has very little driving experience as well with a rwd sports car as well, I can imagine him showing off to his friends in a parking lot and slamming a pole especially since he has no car knowledge.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #36
Alex0827a
This Is A Custom Title

Drives: Not an 86 :(
Something to also consider is that if you get in a wreck, the insurance company won't cover the mods unless you report them when you first get the car insured. If you do though, it'll be about 100-250 more a month (roughly) depending on where you're at.

Realistically, I'm planning on getting a new FRS and just modding it as I see fit. I wouldn't buy one with work already done to it, just because then I can't get the experience of doing said work, and also because it may not be exactly to my taste. For example, given how awful last winter was in PA, I wouldn't want to lower the car more than maybe an inch, which pretty much rules out voiceovers. Stuff like that. Figure out your needs and mod to fit them. That is the whole point of personalization, after all.

Last edited by Alex0827a; 10-14-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Alex0827a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #37
MarcFr-s

Drives: mtFirestormFr-s
It's been awhile for me, but here in California, you have to pass smog when buying used, but maybe that doesn't apply to newer cars? Not sure. You will have trouble passing with the aftermarket header. You also risk any warranty that may transfer. But maybe you don't live here?
MarcFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #38
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
This. He has very little driving experience as well with a rwd sports car as well, I can imagine him showing off to his friends in a parking lot and slamming a pole especially since he has no car knowledge.
Don't get why everyone gets up in arms about RWD.

When I started learning to drive, I learned how in my dad's RWD truck that didn't have traction control or ABS. Do you know how many times I crashed it? Zero. You know how much power it had? Way more than the Twins. RWD is nothing special, it's just different and has its own quirks.

And if you ask guys like @Tcoat or @humfrz, they learned in probably the same way, except they had a three in the tree, instead of a 4 in the floor
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #39
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Don't get why everyone gets up in arms about RWD.

When I started learning to drive, I learned how in my dad's RWD truck that didn't have traction control or ABS. Do you know how many times I crashed it? Zero. You know how much power it had? Way more than the Twins. RWD is nothing special, it's just different and has its own quirks.

And if you ask guys like @Tcoat or @humfrz, they learned in probably the same way, except they had a three in the tree, instead of a 4 in the floor
He's not us, he's a kid who's literally looking to show off to his friends.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-14-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #40
Bjeoen

Drives: None yet
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
He's not us, he's a kid who's literally looking to show off to his friends.....
I really don't know where you're getting these assumptions from within my replies but thanks for the information everyone. You guys answered my questions and even went a bit further.

Sorry if I offended anyone by considering this car but it does have a lot of mods that i wanted to do myself. I appreciate the concerns a lot. It is great that you all find joy in personalizing your own cars but honestly that isn't something I'm that into. I will be making a few personal changes once i have more money saved up from my job but other than that I'm pretty content. I may not have done what you consider sufficient research but i've attempted to the best of my ability to find answers.

I've been aware from the start its a fairly low power car.

Thanks again.

I hope to make some trades in the future with some of you in my area!
Bjeoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #41
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post

hmmmmm.........don't know about @Tcoat ..... he was probably one of the rich city boys, that had a fancy car with "three on the tree".......

I was just a poor farm boy that learned how to shift (excluding tractors) vehicles with a three speed floorboard shift on ma 1937 Chevrolet PU (not mine pictured).

Yep, only three forward gears to transfer all that power from that screaming 85 HP engine ......

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 AM   #42
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeoen View Post
I really don't know where you're getting these assumptions from within my replies but thanks for the information everyone. You guys answered my questions and even went a bit further.

Sorry if I offended anyone by considering this car but it does have a lot of mods that i wanted to do myself. I appreciate the concerns a lot. It is great that you all find joy in personalizing your own cars but honestly that isn't something I'm that into. I will be making a few personal changes once i have more money saved up from my job but other than that I'm pretty content. I may not have done what you consider sufficient research but i've attempted to the best of my ability to find answers.

I've been aware from the start its a fairly low power car.

Thanks again.

I hope to make some trades in the future with some of you in my area!
One question, are you going to keep the car for a long time (5+ years) or going to get something else in the near future?

This is me personally and rehashing my above post, if you are going to keep it for a long time, buy certified pre-owned or new.

I simply cannot stomach that little thought in the back of my head "what has the owner done to this car while they owned it??"

Wish you all the best of luck with whatever route you decide to take.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote