follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
MyRx

Drives: Flight 86 is now boarding.
Thanked 1,502 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NorCal (Bay Area) DRIVE Chat Thread

Hello NorCal,

Just thought I'd start this thread, to not take anything else from our current threads, but to just specify chats about driving our back roads. We are privileged to live in a land with bountiful back roads that should be used a lot. I look forward to the meets (but I've only been to 3 since Nov '12) because every time I turn the key to the FR-S, I'm looking forward to drive, drive, and drive again.

Can we used this thread to discuss, schedule, arrange 'drive meets'? So instead of filling my iphone with new numbers, I (WE) can just post here.
MyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyRx For This Useful Post:
PMok (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
MyRx

I'll start.

Anyone up for a drive thru Redwood/Skyline tomorrow Saturday? I've got a coaching gig until 1pm but after that, I'm taking the kids to Castro Valley. Free ~2p. If my brother is free, we're taking out his 135i he's so meticulously preparing for his first track day. I'm the test driver and I'm going to see if his new rotors/pads/rims/tires remotely matches his engine-tune.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I might be able to join you in CV around 2 or 3pm. Depends because I probably have to go into work in the morning... But post up a firm time and place and I'll try and meet you!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
MyRx

Nice. Thinking 2pm at Peets on corner of Redwood and CV Blvd, Safeway lot. I'll wait if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyRx For This Useful Post:
PMok (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Great idea! I'm kinda surprised its only Pmok and I here so far. Funny enough, I just did this loop during my lunch break (golflinks to skyline to redwood rd. and back via lake chabot). I've found that I can do the loop at a slightly faster than leisurely pace and have just enough time to stop for a taco truck burrito at E14th for my lunch hour.

Sadly, this one is a little too short notice for me, since I've already made plans to visit family over the weekend.

Since we're on the topic of driving, I just so happened to be at san jose on Monday and decided to head up Mt. Hamilton to the Lick observatory. Great road, but very tricky and I actually didn't push very hard since the road get quite tight with sharp drop-offs, plus it got really foggy since we had very low clouds that afternoon. Any body interested in doing a drive there in the future when the weather get better? I prefer going super early in the morning to avoid all the cyclists.

(I meant to take a pic by the telescope but it was so foggy/cloudy you can't see it, so next best thing was taking it by the sign )
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
PMok (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
PMok

You know I'm down... I go up Mt. Hamilton all the time. I actually prefer the back side which is Mines Rd. and San Antonio Valley Rd.

Here's what your pic would look like if it was clear

Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
You know I'm down... I go up Mt. Hamilton all the time. I actually prefer the back side which is Mines Rd. and San Antonio Valley Rd.

Here's what your pic would look like if it was clear
Nice pic, although looking a little lonely (We'll take care of that ) Noticed the cyclists taking a breather too, exactly what I try to avoid (most of them are cool, but you sometimes get the over zealous "share the road" nazi who won't get over).

Yeah, I was actually planning on doing the loop (up Mines to Livermore then taking the freeway back to the East bay) but ended up chickening out and turning around because of all the fog. It was way to sketchy and would have taken way longer if I kept going I think. Plus I ended up helping a guy in an E30 who broke down on one of the turn outs and needed some pliers on my way back down.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
hellyvin

Drives: WRB Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Great idea! I'm kinda surprised its only Pmok and I here so far. Funny enough, I just did this loop during my lunch break (golflinks to skyline to redwood rd. and back via lake chabot). I've found that I can do the loop at a slightly faster than leisurely pace and have just enough time to stop for a taco truck burrito at E14th for my lunch hour.

Sadly, this one is a little too short notice for me, since I've already made plans to visit family over the weekend.

Since we're on the topic of driving, I just so happened to be at san jose on Monday and decided to head up Mt. Hamilton to the Lick observatory. Great road, but very tricky and I actually didn't push very hard since the road get quite tight with sharp drop-offs, plus it got really foggy since we had very low clouds that afternoon. Any body interested in doing a drive there in the future when the weather get better? I prefer going super early in the morning to avoid all the cyclists.

(I meant to take a pic by the telescope but it was so foggy/cloudy you can't see it, so next best thing was taking it by the sign )

hey flip what rims are those? looks nice!
hellyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
PMok

Quote:
Yeah, I was actually planning on doing the loop (up Mines to Livermore then taking the freeway back to the East bay) but ended up chickening out and turning around because of all the fog. It was way to sketchy and would have taken way longer if I kept going I think.
Yeah, the full route from San Jose up to Livermore by way of Mt Hamilton is over 100 miles... it's a good 3 hours of driving nirvana when the conditions are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRx View Post
Nice. Thinking 2pm at Peets on corner of Redwood and CV Blvd, Safeway lot. I'll wait if needed.
Looks like I'm off the hook for work, so I will see you at 2!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyvin View Post
hey flip what rims are those? looks nice!
Lol, stock wheels I painted gold, I'm hella broke son!
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (08-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
MyRx

I'll see you PMok.

As for Hamilton, total agree. Early starts r better - ahead of the bicyclists and finish early enough to do other things. I'm up early enough to get time to myself so definitely post if you have a drive in mind. The kids love spending nights at grandparents anyways lol. My thing about Hamilton is that a group of bicyclists from work are always there on the weekends - running into them is somewhat unappealing. Going from Mines, no issue.

I don't mind a crowd, especially in these cars - enuf attention from onlookers. I'm sure some people are wanting to drive but may be a bit reserved due to the nature of driving. No worries, we keep to our individual pace, speed, and space and enjoy it. In the end, we collectively put our thoughts and observations together, fast or slow - just like a meet. To me, it's like any other new toy, take it out of the box and learn it.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
MyRx

Quote:
Lol, stock wheels I painted gold, I'm hella broke son!
Looks great in gold OMG! Gold looks OG!

I wish I had patience sitting in front of photoshop to see what black ones will look like on my mine.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
eklipz98

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000 (RIP to my BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27497
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
MyRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklipz98 View Post
Someday, when my Saturday AM is free. Been a while since I've seen that place in the dark. And there is something about driving dark - your senses are more awake. Solo or in a convoy, driving in the dark does heightened your awareness.