follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Renegade21
Ray

Drives: '15 WRB STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks man! I'm hoping to hear back from some places soon.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
BRZChix

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade21 View Post
I'm still getting my feet wet with coding. all i have under my belt is intro to C. not even C++. I'm planning to retake the course here because it includes C++. I plan to come out to the next meet. I may just find a part time job at a retail store to kill time while I get more. I have LinkedIn but not enough, in my opinion to get an entry level computer job. I was going to apply at Best Buy, but there wasn't any openings at Geek Squad.

also i'm no vet, but my family is. Gotta show my love and respect for them.
if you are getting started and want to stay around here, try Java, C#, Javascript, HTML, and some SQL. those are more popular to land you a job at start-ups.

also, if you know some computer stuff, looking for some IT support positions. we can chat more in next meet.

Welcome to bay area, and hope u find something soon
BRZChix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZChix For This Useful Post:
Renegade21 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
Renegade21
Ray

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZChix View Post
if you are getting started and want to stay around here, try Java, C#, Javascript, HTML, and some SQL. those are more popular to land you a job at start-ups.

also, if you know some computer stuff, looking for some IT support positions. we can chat more in next meet.

Welcome to bay area, and hope u find something soon
I was actually looking for some IT Support positions, but i don't know the actual requirements. I do know some computer stuff. I'm close to my A+ Certification if that helps. and of course! I'm lurking to see when the next meet is so i can come out and meet everyone! I need friends, not to sound desperate, but i don't know anyone out here. haha
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was actually looking for some IT Support positions, but i don't know the actual requirements. I do know some computer stuff. I'm close to my A+ Certification if that helps.
How much experience do you have in IT? We just hired a part time tech for our helpdesk last week so I can't get you anything here but I can at least give you some advice.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #19
Renegade21
Ray

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwolf View Post
How much experience do you have in IT? We just hired a part time tech for our helpdesk last week so I can't get you anything here but I can at least give you some advice.
What kind of experience are you looking for? as in actually work experience? None, my fault there though. I've taken some courses toward it back in florida.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
B2FiNiTY
JDM JUNKY

Drives: NSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
killing time is actually killing yourself.

invest in a job that will be a stepping stone to your future.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #21
Pwolf

Quote:
What kind of experience are you looking for? as in actually work experience? None, my fault there though. I've taken some courses toward it back in florida.
Since you have no work experience and if I was hiring for an intern I'd want to see at least some basic knowledge about windows servers, disk imaging, enterprise level e-mail (outlook/exchange or groupwise), enterprise level networking, and maybe some idea about ticketing systems (trackit or spiceworks). On top of that and more importantly, enterprise level troubleshooting. I've interviewed far too many people, most with home pc-type support experience, who can't walk me through more than one troubleshooting step. Most of the time when asked to walk me though troubleshooting a network issue, they stop at check the cable and/or call the ISP. Or, even worse, assume the issue is only related to Wifi or wired networks. Understanding that the enterprise network is much more involved than a home network goes a long way to impress.

So, if you can show on your resume that you know enterprise level concepts and technologies, I'll call you in for an interview. If you can prove to me that you can think about troubleshooting a problem in more than one way and learn new programs, technology, and concepts quickly and independently, I'd hire you in a heartbeat... unfortunately, I'm not hiring at the moment but I'll assume anyone else that's hiring for an entry level enterprise support job will look for the same stuff.

Since we just hired someone for a part time Tech I position, I don't think we are going to hire any interns. If that changes, I'll let you know. We may be hiring for a full time Tech I position sometime this year so if you get some experience between now and then I'll be sure to let you know.

Edit: Forgot to add that I don't bother looking at certs like A+ or the basic Microsoft stuff when hiring people... Unless it's something specific like Cisco or VMware, I think they're useless.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I was actually looking for some IT Support positions, but i don't know the actual requirements. I do know some computer stuff. I'm close to my A+ Certification if that helps. and of course! I'm lurking to see when the next meet is so i can come out and meet everyone! I need friends, not to sound desperate, but i don't know anyone out here. haha
From what I hear, A+ isn't as great as it used to be. I've met with Coalfire and they said that A+ to them means you can build a computer.

If you haven't already, join ISACA and get a few certificates there. In the IT Field, certifications are more important than a degree apparently. I've met a guy that works for Oracle and he doesn't have a degree but he has the CISCO CCNA certificate.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-12-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #23
Pwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
From what I hear, A+ isn't as great as it used to be. I've met with Coalfire and they said that A+ to them means you can build a computer.
Yea, I think most enterprise shops don't even look at A+ anymore. Places like Geek Squad or other home support stuff will probably be more happy to see them. It's probably not a bad idea to get it but don't rely on it to get you a job.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Khalis

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine 86
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was actually in the same boat as you about a year ago. Scratching the surface of learning C++, with no computer-related work experience under my belt. Close to a degree/certificate (which I have now) and wanting to find a job in IT to get myself in the door. Just gotta throw your resume at a bunch of openings. I applied to 4 openings(would have been more but openings for Tier 1 IT gets filled up pretty quick) when a friend of mine told me that I should stop doing retail/customer service and start looking for a real job. Got 3 interviews, 2 second interviews, and got hired for a paid internship even though I had no real experience. Still working there now and best job I've ever had, all while trying to finish school.

TL;DR: Apply to a lot of positions. Even the ones that you think you are under qualified for. Unless the requirements are super high of course.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #25
Khalis

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine 86
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BTW, Found this on Facebook. You might be interested.

WheelDude.com
Looking for a warehouse employee to work from our Location in Fremont, CA 5 days a week from 1-5pm. Please email any questions you may have and / or your resume to Zoeb@WheelDude.com
Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Good luck, friend!
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #27
Renegade21
Ray

Garage
thanks guys! appreciate the help! i was thinking of getting my CISCO CCNA cert. should i just study for that instead of the A+ test?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
Renegade21
Ray

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MObrz5 View Post
Put in a resume to tesla online bro!
little late, but i just submitted it!

hoping i get it.