follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #1121
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@coyote and @pheoxs version 3 of the root files from @GreenPants are here in post 1013 of this thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1013

Also see post 1019 for an alternate and possibly faster download location.

Not sure if @2forme is on the forum any more but if you are mate perhaps you could edit your first post and put the v3 files in there.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #1122
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@coyote and @pheoxs version 3 of the root files from @GreenPants are here in post 1013 of this thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1013

Also see post 1019 for an alternate and possibly faster download location.

Not sure if @2forme is on the forum any more but if you are mate perhaps you could edit your first post and put the v3 files in there.
Thanks man I was still fighting with V1
Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #1123
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
Thanks man I was still fighting with V1
A pleasure mate. Difficult when over 1,000 posts on the thread.

I'm been thinking of doing a new post with @2formes instructions amended for all the bits and bobs we have found out along this journey including links of where to buy the compatible dongles and details of the TUN21 and the T7019A with links to some of the other posts like the LED colour change etc.

That way we have a clean new thread with stuff easier to find.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #1124
mrlizard

Drives: BT50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes please would save me a heap time and paper trying to find out all the info every time I want to find something out. And also what rear view cameras are people using??
mrlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #1125
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
A pleasure mate. Difficult when over 1,000 posts on the thread.

I'm been thinking of doing a new post with @2formes instructions amended for all the bits and bobs we have found out along this journey including links of where to buy the compatible dongles and details of the TUN21 and the T7019A with links to some of the other posts like the LED colour change etc.

That way we have a clean new thread with stuff easier to find.
Try messaging a mod they may be able to do it with this thread then just do a summary in the first post.

Or just post a new one with a link here and then a summary
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1126
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlizard View Post
Yes please would save me a heap time and paper trying to find out all the info every time I want to find something out. And also what rear view cameras are people using??
This is the camera I am using. Bought from the same place as my T7019A. Required a small cut out where the rear licence plate light is to make it disappear from view. I was pleasently surprised at how well it works with music killed and flashing straight up on screen when in reverse and even flicks the screen on even when head unit is not turned on and turns screen off once you take it out of reverse. @Tech wired it in for me as it is not exactly plug and play.

http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...oduct/725.html
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #1127
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
with music killed
There's an option to kill or not kill the music in the settings. I've got it set to not interrupt Mr Hendrix while he's working.

In other great news, I went for a drive today and Ivona worked! Not sure why as there are often large gaps when it's not driven. Perhaps the soft reboots last time I was playing with it weren't enough for the new setting to take effect.

Regardless, I highly recommend Google Nav with Ivona if you drive with data services enabled. The voice quality of this TTS engine is amazing and the Aussie accent is just about spot on. No choice NZ excent yut for our frinds across the dutch, aye bro.

When I get time I'll try to downloads maps for offline use. If that's successful, I'll consider it the perfect nav solution.

Then to make it the perfect head unit, I'll just need to sort out the issue with contacts. I'm thinking one of the tablet apps for sms and dialing might work.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #1128
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
There's an option to kill or not kill the music in the settings. I've got it set to not interrupt Mr Hendrix while he's working.

In other great news, I went for a drive today and Ivona worked! Not sure why as there are often large gaps when it's not driven. Perhaps the soft reboots last time I was playing with it weren't enough for the new setting to take effect.

Regardless, I highly recommend Google Nav with Ivona if you drive with data services enabled. The voice quality of this TTS engine is amazing and the Aussie accent is just about spot on. No choice NZ excent yut for our frinds across the dutch, aye bro.

When I get time I'll try to downloads maps for offline use. If that's successful, I'll consider it the perfect nav solution.

Then to make it the perfect head unit, I'll just need to sort out the issue with contacts. I'm thinking one of the tablet apps for sms and dialing might work.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this.
Thanks for the navi info as I like Sygic but if can't get map updates then hopeless.

Excuse my ignorance but to get google Nav with Ivona is that just an app from the play store?

Keen for you to test offline maps @coyote as data plans here are a killer for mobiles.

Shame about no kiwi accent. TomTom did a nationwide search for the best kiwi accent. I like when you arrive at your destination it says something like "grab your jandals and your chilly bin. Cheers for the ride bro." And if you go the wrong way it says "turn around and let's go get a meat pie" or something like that.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #1129
coyote

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but to get google Nav with Ivona is that just an app from the play store?
Yep, Google Nav just uses whatever text to speech engine has been selected in the settings. You have to install the app for the Ivona TTS engine to be available. Note that I still can't work out how to navigate to the Voice Input and Output menus, but when you first start Ivona it brings them up for you.

Check this out:

http://www.ivona.com/us/

Ivona is just a TTS engine and you add whatever accent you prefer, basically it's a library. Instructions are on the site and the PlayStore, but it's dead easy. Note that it obviously takes a hard reboot for the settings to take effect.

I'm currently being told where to go by Nicole.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #1130
nzer

Quote:
Yep, Google Nav just uses whatever text to speech engine has been selected in the settings. You have to install the app for the Ivona TTS engine to be available. Note that I still can't work out how to navigate to the Voice Input and Output menus, but when you first start Ivona it brings them up for you.

Check this out:

http://www.ivona.com/us/

Ivona is just a TTS engine and you add whatever accent you prefer, basically it's a library. Instructions are on the site and the PlayStore, but it's dead easy. Note that it obviously takes a hard reboot for the settings to take effect.

I actually prefer no voice guidence @coyote.

So if I don't need voice guidence do I just download the google maps app and use navi in there? For offline maps how do I do that?

I can handle the root stuff but usually use apple with the car about the only place I have android so I am hopeless with it.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1131
coyote

Quote:
I actually prefer no voice guidence @coyote.

So if I don't need voice guidence do I just download the google maps app and use navi in there? For offline maps how do I do that?

I can handle the root stuff but usually use apple with the car about the only place I have android so I am hopeless with it.
Don't take this as gospel, but I think navigation is there ready to go if you have an up to date version of Google Maps. Just try it.

I have a widget on the home screen of my phone that turns on bluetooth and wifi hotspot when I get into the car, so haven't tried offline maps.

The recommended way is to just load the map and then tell the unit to save it for offline use. I may not use that as I'd hate to lose live traffic and roadworks info and of course getting Street View up on the screen. It's cool and actually really useful to see a picture of the building you need when you drive into the correct street.

I'm yet to experiment with other layers, but the amount of data available is mind boggling. The only downside is that I'm sure Google stores data on where you've been. My nopics is a stunner, so I've got no naughty behaviour I think I need to hide.

I tried Sygic, Copilot, Route66, Navigon and one or two others and wasn't happy. I'm now VERY happy with navigation.
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote For This Useful Post:
nzer (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #1132
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it wrong to be in love with your car's GPS Nav voice? I'm using Sygic with Emma, a posh English gal with a demanding streak; always telling me where to go - but that's part of her charm. (Note: I'm not referring to the 'Ivona' Emma. There's an Emma already installed in the unit by default and selectable from within Sygic)

On a different topic completely - I've sent off a request for some of the source code for the T7019a unit. As you may, or may not, know, Android uses a Linux kernel under the hood. The Linux kernel is subject to the GNU GPL - which 'which guarantees end users (individuals, organizations, companies) the freedoms to use, study, share (copy), and modify the software'.

See: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License[/ame] (Sorry about the formatting, this board seems to screw up links to Wikipedia for some reason)

So far the response hasn't been great ('... do you have a picture for this?'), but who knows?

Although a code drop wouldn't necessarily cover all the installed apps (Video, Phone etc), it would at least give some insight into how the hardware works - and could open the box up to plenty more tinkering.
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1133
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
Is it wrong to be in love with your car's GPS Nav voice?
My only problem is that my car's name is Rudy, yet he has Nicole's sexy voice.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1134
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
On a different topic completely - I've sent off a request for some of the source code for the T7019a unit. As you may, or may not, know, Android uses a Linux kernel under the hood. The Linux kernel is subject to the GNU GPL - which 'which guarantees end users (individuals, organizations, companies) the freedoms to use, study, share (copy), and modify the software'.
It's actually in their interests to supply this asap, unless they don't want to be the manufacturer of the most popular head unit for the world's most popular sports car.