follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Evasive Motorsports

Drives: 2012 FR-S and BR-Z
Thanked 1,892 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Evasive Motorsports
VOLTEX GT-Wing / Aero Thread

Voltex GT-Wing / Aero Thread

Evasive Motorsports is the official US Voltex Distributor.

Many enthusiasts wonder what’s involved with aero design. Does it just look cool and is a design really functional? Voltex of Japan takes it pretty seriously. If they don’t believe a aero piece performs correctly, they’ll revise a design until they achieve the desired results. Voltex’s methods may seem meticulous, but it’s put them at the top of the list when anyone thinks of aero design in the tuning world. Also Voltex is one of the only companies that still uses wind tunnel testing.

Some of the product for the FR-S/BRZ

Voltex Type 2
The Voltex Type 2 is the basic model for Voltex GT Wings and recommended for usage on vehicles with rounded rear ends such as the FR-S/BRZ and S2000. Known for the great balance, it is best for FR vehicles like the FR-S/BRZ. From street to track, this wing can be made from 1,500mm to 1,700mm.

Voltex Type 1V

The Voltex Type 1V, originally offered only for the Honda S2000, is now available for the Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ. Comes in a 1300mm width and 225mm V mount brackets. The 1V retains the “V-mount” look and gives it the illusion that the wing looks longer. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Voltex Type 1S

Voltex has developed a street style wing for daily driven vehicles. The Type 1S wing meaures 1460mm wide and is aimed for the enthusiast who wants a little more downforce and style but doesn't need the full race functionality of a GT wing. The wing also sports an authentic Voltex metal badge on both ends of the wing.

Voltex Type 7 GT Wing (Swan Neck)
Voltex Swan Neck mount GT Wings are now available for purchase! Two styles are offered in Type 10 and Type 7. The biggest difference between the two is the depth of the airfoil. Type 10 uses a 270mm and the Type 7 uses a 355mm, which also includes a different shape.

Last edited by Evasive Motorsports; 07-15-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Evasive Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
double posted, just making sure you're aware
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Andrew360

Drives: Whiteout FRS, 07 Stg 2 Vw GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's mine. The wing looks great.
Attached Images

Andrew360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew360 For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (01-27-2014), Evasive Motorsports (01-21-2014), fx35s (08-10-2014), Koj (11-02-2016), mrk1 (01-18-2014), Wolfking (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'm curious to know more about the aerodynamic performance of this car and how effective various bits of aero are.

Is a rear wing alone a good idea? Otherwise, what about options for front aero to balance the rear and/or increase front traction? Would the front lip kits from APR, Seibon, Rexpeed etc. be effective, or would a full front splitter be more effective?

What about rear diffusers - (Clieb, Driveway Labs) etc.? Would they work well enough to replace a rear wing entirely or would they complement it, and to what extent?

What aero setups are track proven?

etc.

Don't mean to crap on the thread. Those Voltex wings look great and I'm sure they work but I'd like to know more about overall function.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)

Last edited by ultra; 01-19-2014 at 12:56 PM.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
I'm curious to know more about the aerodynamic performance of this car and how effective various bits of aero are.

Is a rear wing alone a good idea? Otherwise, what about options for front aero to balance the rear and/or increase front traction? Would the front lip kits from APR, Seibon, Rexpeed etc. be effective, or would a full front splitter be more effective?

What about rear diffusers - Clieb, Driveway Labs) etc.? Would they work well enough to replace a rear wing entirely or would they complement it, and to what extent?

What aero setups are track proven?

etc.

Don't mean to crap on the thread. Those Voltex wings look great and I'm sure they work but I'd like to know more about overall function.
Voltex is one the more efficient wings on the market these days with proven design and high quality manufacturing processes. Aero aids need to be balanced. It first starts with understanding what the current car needs before adding stuff on.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Icanfaptothis86 (08-06-2015), ultra (01-19-2014), wparsons (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
ultra
Curious cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Voltex is one the more efficient wings on the market these days with proven design and high quality manufacturing processes. Aero aids need to be balanced. It first starts with understanding what the current car needs before adding stuff on.
That's what I'm after - what does the current car need?
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's what I'm after - what does the current car need?
Everyone's needs are different. We'd need to know exactly what your setup is, and what your end goal is.

As a general rule, ANY voltex wing should be balanced out with front aero. If you have a serious wing in the rear, you need to have a serious lip/splitter in the front.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Everyone's needs are different. We'd need to know exactly what your setup is, and what your end goal is.

As a general rule, ANY voltex wing should be balanced out with front aero. If you have a serious wing in the rear, you need to have a serious lip/splitter in the front.
Does the voltex wing and front aero actually generate net downforce, or does it just reduce lift?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

What's an example of a serious lip/splitter versus some plastic tat you nail to your bumper?

For example, would something like this actually do anything?

campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
CSG Mike

Quote:
Question is - what front aero solutions can create downforce in the first place? I've found the APR front splitter to be noticeably effective in the past on my EVO.

As far as my set up goes, it's very well balanced at this point, thanks in part to some good advice I've gotten on here (corner balanced car last week, minor camber tweaks to -3f, -2.3r; shaved almost a second).

For example here's a quick screen cap of my best lap so far (done this past weekend) via Harry's Lap Timer (best I can do. Red zones are where I'm above 1G lateral, on street tires. Semi slicks are not an option.

I'm looking to improve after Turn 13, which is flat out over a hill, off camber. Would also like to improve through turns 1 and 15, even though the cornering speeds through there are only around 50mph or so. Improving through turns 2 and 3 would be a nice win too since I'm flat through turn 3 after exiting turn 2. I'm wondering if aero might be a possible advantage.

I've seen a number of very fast track cars on this forum running the Voltex rear wing with just lip kits (not splitters). Could just copy those setups but real data would be better, so we can all learn.

Hope I don't come off as knocking on Evasive's thread at all - I'm aware of Voltex and Evasive's work and I know they sell Voltex, APR and pretty much everything out there for these cars.

Actually not a big fan of big wings aesthetically - I like the understated 'just a stock GT86' look - but I am curious about functional benefits.

Knowledge skeeking here as always.
If you're flat in a turn, the aero probably won't do anything to help, unless it increases your entry speed

If you're not already flat or are giong through with some slip angle, then it'll make a noticeable improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Does the voltex wing and front aero actually generate net downforce, or does it just reduce lift?
They generate downforce. Whether it's net or not depends on the car, but the wing element itself makes downforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
What's an example of a serious lip/splitter versus some plastic tat you nail to your bumper?

For example, would something like this actually do anything?

Yup that would be functional.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ultra (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
ultra
Curious cat.

Really wish Voltex had a front aero kit to match that wing!
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)

Last edited by ultra; 01-19-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
IMO a wing is probably the final items to get.

Putting it on a stock car I think is rather pointless.

The way Id do aero, is front spilter (adj if possible) skirts and rear difuser. If then, you feel like you need more rear downforce, get a wing.

I don't doubt the wing works, quite the opposite in fact. I just don't like the thought of dumping it on without anything else.

I'm mostly talking about aero in the corners. Running just the wing would give better rear end stability under braking. If you're having to run some toe in at the back, for rear end stability under braking, this wing will allow you to run less toe in, as the rear won't unload as much.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
IMO a wing is probably the final items to get.

Putting it on a stock car I think is rather pointless.

The way Id do aero, is front spilter (adj if possible) skirts and rear difuser. If then, you feel like you need more rear downforce, get a wing.

I don't doubt the wing works, quite the opposite in fact. I just don't like the thought of dumping it on without anything else.

I'm mostly talking about aero in the corners. Running just the wing would give better rear end stability under braking. If you're having to run some toe in at the back, for rear end stability under braking, this wing will allow you to run less toe in, as the rear won't unload as much.
The wing will increase rear grip, period. Even a NA car will benefit from a wing. However, you need to balance the front and rear ends to maximize gains.

If you do just the front splitter, then you'll end up with a loose car at speed.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
The wing will increase rear grip, period. Even a NA car will benefit from a wing. However, you need to balance the front and rear ends to maximize gains.

If you do just the front splitter, then you'll end up with a loose car at speed.
Sort of think you're having your cake and eating it too there, (by arguing both ways)

The rear wing will increase rear grip, no arguement there. I was implying that it isn't needed. It will make the car understeer more at the limit. (Which may or may not be what you want)

All I'm saying, is that do your aero to suit your application. Do you want more front or rear grip, or both.

I stand by my comment, that it would be better to focus on ground affect type aero, to increase downforce over both axles. Then get a wing if you want more rear downforce.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote