follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch engagement issue. Possible clutch cylinders upgrade?

Lately I've been having a lot of clutch engagement issue. What ive notice was that during cold weather my clutch engages fine, however, if i were to drve for 30 in stop anf go traffic, i will envounter heavy resistance from nutral into a gear and during down shifting. this is true for 1-5 gears at any speed. i also experience heavy resistance when shifting from high gear to nutral, then nutral down shift into a gear. When I encounter heavy resistance, I can slide the gear in by rev matching. Pumping the clutch or double shifting does not help the situation. From time to time I will also experience heavier resistance shifting out of a gear when it's acting up.

I've been reading up the synchro issue, but since I have after market pressure plate (ACT HD portype), I don't know if the problem could due to my master or slave clutch cylinders. I've checked all my hydraulic leak path, they were all dry. I've also check my clutch travel, and it seems to be sufficient.

Someone suggested to me that my clutch could be sticking due to incufficent cylinder pressure because of the increase demand from the aftermarket pressure plate.

Do you guys have any suggestion?
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
did u change or check your trans fluid? that has a big impact on syncro engadment. i beat on my car all day and it never feels different shifting
The Following User Says Thank You to Grip Ronin For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (09-28-2015)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
What's double shifting ?
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Xanatos

Drives: @redline, '14 BRZ, '98 Forester
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
What's double shifting ?
Shifting from a gear to neutral and then again from neutral to another gear while engaging and releasing the clutch both times.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xanatos For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (03-14-2016)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
FT-86-

Drives: Sexy Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
Lately I've been having a lot of clutch engagement issue. What ive notice was that during cold weather my clutch engages fine, however, if i were to drve for 30 in stop anf go traffic, i will envounter heavy resistance from nutral into a gear and during down shifting. this is true for 1-5 gears at any speed. i also experience heavy resistance when shifting from high gear to nutral, then nutral down shift into a gear. When I encounter heavy resistance, I can slide the gear in by rev matching. Pumping the clutch or double shifting does not help the situation. From time to time I will also experience heavier resistance shifting out of a gear when it's acting up.

I've been reading up the synchro issue, but since I have after market pressure plate (ACT HD portype), I don't know if the problem could due to my master or slave clutch cylinders. I've checked all my hydraulic leak path, they were all dry. I've also check my clutch travel, and it seems to be sufficient.

Someone suggested to me that my clutch could be sticking due to incufficent cylinder pressure because of the increase demand from the aftermarket pressure plate.

Do you guys have any suggestion?
"Possible clutch cylinders upgrade"Wft! Dude there is no need to do that. This is a new car; nothing needs to be upgraded unless you really want to turn into race car. I think that you are not rev matching and if you are then complain with Scion/Toyota/Subaru they will fix it.
FT-86- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
wu_dot_com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
did u change or check your trans fluid? that has a big impact on syncro engadment. i beat on my car all day and it never feels different shifting
Not yet. But I will do it during the holidays. I'm looking into bleeding the clutch cylinders. If the problem didn't go away, then I'm looking into changing the trans fluid.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
wu_dot_com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86- View Post
"Possible clutch cylinders upgrade"Wft! Dude there is no need to do that. This is a new car; nothing needs to be upgraded unless you really want to turn into race car. I think that you are not rev matching and if you are then complain with Scion/Toyota/Subaru they will fix it.
My thinking was that since I've added the new aftermarket pressure plate which adds 50-70% more clamp force. It increase the clutch cylinders work load. Though nothing is leaking at the moment. From my understanding, an underpowered cluth cylinders usually leak if the clamp load of the pressure plate exceeds the max seal load of the cylinders. Since I'm not leaking, it's hard to say its te cylinders fault.

I don't want to bring it in to Subaru until I am sure of my problem is not caused by aftermarket pressure plate. Otherwise they will stick me with void warranty bill.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Sounds like you may have an issue with the engagement of the release sleeve and the clutch cover. It it gets worst when the car warms up, then I would bet that you may have a warped disk or some sort of tolerance issue with one or more of the clutch assembly components. Typically the actual engagement/disengagement has more to do with the hydraulic release mechanism than transmission fluid. Fluid can help the syncros match up easier, but the hydraulic system is what actually disconnects the transmission from the engine (via the clutch).
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
wu_dot_com (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
wu_dot_com

Thanks for the response. Let me contact ACT perhaps they would like to investigate further.

Since I have a prototype clutch assy. Perhaps they have made adjustment in their production parts.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
Not yet. But I will do it during the holidays. I'm looking into bleeding the clutch cylinders. If the problem didn't go away, then I'm looking into changing the trans fluid.
im at 1200miles and im changing all fluids. factories screw up sometimes and don't put enough oil in trannies.. theres been cases of them having no oil rarely
Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
hislargeness

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a vehicle that I changed the clutch pp and throw out.....the line from the hydraulic master cylinder couldn't Handle the extra pressure to actuate the racing clutch and the line actually bulged ever so slightly as to not allow the clutch to disengage properly.
Just a thought
hislargeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
wu_dot_com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hislargeness View Post
I had a vehicle that I changed the clutch pp and throw out.....the line from the hydraulic master cylinder couldn't Handle the extra pressure to actuate the racing clutch and the line actually bulged ever so slightly as to not allow the clutch to disengage properly.
Just a thought
okay at the moment im considering a few options.

upgrade the like to SS lines. I think SS lines for STI should work.

meanwhile, i am also looking into upgrading the clutch master cylinder to OE STI cylinders. the stock BRZ/FRS have Nabtesco 11/16. the stock STI 2013 have Nabtesco 11/14. the increase in diameter of the WRX cylinders should be enough to handle any stage 1 pressure plate upgrade.

BTW which brand of SS line did you use?

I have good experience with goodrige SS brake line for bikes. so im leaning in that direction.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
wu_dot_com

I've just finished bleeding both master and slave cylinders. The problem still exist
Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I believe there is a restriction or delay valve somewhere in the hydraulic system. Finding and removing it may help you out. I wish I had more info on this, but hopefully someone that knows the system will speak up with some advice. Many hydraulic systems have one in place to reduce shock loads to the drivetrain, and they often cause performance minded people a lot of greif.