follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
This is an absurd statement. If you don't want to waste other people's time do the right thing and make speeding tickets illegal. They are not for safety, they are for revenue generation. They should not exist, and whoever wants them should be executed. You want to keep the courts free, make it illegal to issue any ticket for money. There is something very wrong with a society that thinks it is ok to randomly charge people money for doing nothing wrong.
Quote:
Neither has anything to do with what I said. I did not say people should speed, I said speeding tickets for money are evil and do absolutely nothing. This is the simple truth. They are for revenue only and the police and the counties budget ticket money, so they desperately need you to speed so they can use you as an ATM machine.

You want to eliminate speeding? Easy. For every mile an hour you go over the speed limit, you must do 40 hours of community service. I bet no one would ever speed. That is a real way to eliminate speeding. The courts, cities, etc, etc, ad naseum do not want to eliminate speeding, they want to use the citizens as ATM machines for their idiotic pet projects and bribes.
Really?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #44
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Really?
still don't see the problem. Speeding tickets are not for safety, they are for revenue enhancement. Tickets in general are for revenue enhancement and nothing else. While technically speeding is wrong, there are many many tickets and many many added fees onto tickets for money that are totally absurd and should never exist. Just because you received a ticket does not mean you did anything wrong. Their are lawyers that claim everyone commits 3 felonies a day without doing anything actually wrong or immoral.

I never said people should speed. Speeding is dumb, I usually try and go 60 on highways because I am cheap and want the best gas mileage I can get. Driving unsafe on any road is dumb and should not be done. Giving tickets for money does not discourage such behavior.

Municipalities budget ticket income into their annual budgets. Something is very very wrong with the system and it needs to be fixed.

If this stuff were real safety issues and people really wanted to fix them,they would make real punishments, like a week of community service, and yanking someone's license for a month. since they do not do that they do not want to fix the problem, they want to use citizens for atm's.

No idea why you think anything I said is contradictory.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #45
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

And you likely never will. Time to quit.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #46
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
And you likely never will. Time to quit.
that is not how discussions work. Discussions work when two people share what they think.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
still don't see the problem. Speeding tickets are not for safety, they are for revenue enhancement. Tickets in general are for revenue enhancement and nothing else. While technically speeding is wrong, there are many many tickets and many many added fees onto tickets for money that are totally absurd and should never exist. Just because you received a ticket does not mean you did anything wrong. Their are lawyers that claim everyone commits 3 felonies a day without doing anything actually wrong or immoral.

I never said people should speed. Speeding is dumb, I usually try and go 60 on highways because I am cheap and want the best gas mileage I can get. Driving unsafe on any road is dumb and should not be done. Giving tickets for money does not discourage such behavior.

Municipalities budget ticket income into their annual budgets. Something is very very wrong with the system and it needs to be fixed.

If this stuff were real safety issues and people really wanted to fix them,they would make real punishments, like a week of community service, and yanking someone's license for a month. since they do not do that they do not want to fix the problem, they want to use citizens for atm's.

The most effective deterrent to prevent people from breaking the law is to hit them in the wallet. This has been the case for at least a couple of thousand years and is not new.
No disputing that some places may use it as a fund raiser but to say everywhere does is not realistic. Fines are a punitive result of breaking a law and even if people do it 3 times a day does not make it OK and if cash will stop them then that is what will be used. If they forced community service than you would probably be screaming about bonded servitude or slave labour and anybody that agrees with it should be "executed". I understand that you are very passionate about your beliefs in government but dude, sometimes you get carried away.

I am going to stay away from these ticket threads from this point forward as they always seem to result in nothing but seething, unreasoning hatred of the law, it's enforcement and subsequent penalties.
Don't bother replying here Why as I will not be reading it and I will see ya in other threads where conversation can be grounded in reality.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #48
Elkton86er

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB AT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My problem with the way speeding is being handled is the lack of enforcement consistency. Either enforce the law or don't - pick one! If the speed limit "ought to be" 65 mph for safety reasons (or whatever) then enforce it - don't stop random people when everyone in sight is doing 75. If you're not serious about 65, then make the limit 75 (or whatever that you ARE serious about) and enforce that.

I don't mind driving 65 on a highway when all the other cars around are also doing 65 - I remember when the limit was 55! I have a problem when I'm the only one doing 65 getting my doors blown off by others doing 75 - 80 and we all drive past the cop and nothing happens...
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkton86er For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #49
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

This is the real world. People have been paying fines for centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkton86er View Post
My problem with the way speeding is being handled is the lack of enforcement consistency. Either enforce the law or don't - pick one! If the speed limit "ought to be" 65 mph for safety reasons (or whatever) then enforce it - don't stop random people when everyone in sight is doing 75. If you're not serious about 65, then make the limit 75 (or whatever that you ARE serious about) and enforce that.

I don't mind driving 65 on a highway when all the other cars around are also doing 65 - I remember when the limit was 55! I have a problem when I'm the only one doing 65 getting my doors blown off by others doing 75 - 80 and we all drive past the cop and nothing happens...
My point exactly.

I feel awkward moving at 65, I won't lie. I have no doubt that most of that is because at 65 you're getting NASCAR'd by other motorists.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote