follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm glad to see poeple jumping on this.. at last we can get some tuning discussions going up in ft86club
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
This looks really, really promising. Not to mention the interface is awesome.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #31
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Good post and info! Below is some feedback from Shiv@vishnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
W00T!

Finally I'm not the only one posting a tuning thread

Big thanks to the openflash guys and Shiv for the brain dump I really enjoyed chatting this past week about the findings and comparing notes on the base maps.

I have a few questions and comments after seeing the digest version...

Cam Timing
On stock exhaust, I found a good bit of power on the low rpm and higher rpm sides of the dip by advancing the exhaust cam. I assume you found the same thing? I did not find any difference in the 3,750 range though... I assume the back pressure is just so high there for whatever reason that you can't close the exhaust valve soon enough to avoid reversion??
Yes, the dip was reduced in both duration and severity by advancing the exhaust came. Running 40deg of advance down there. Looks like the factory mapping makes some concessions in that respect. Perhaps for fuel economy or emissions.

Quote:
Which way did you go with the exhaust cam on the header car to get those gains? My long tube should be hear late this week and I will be hitting the dyno to retune on pump before I move on to E85 again. So I would love to hear what you found. My assumption is less Ex advance with a better flowing header?? I may just roll your cam timing into my starting point tune to save some dyno time.
I'll be tuning some stock header/stock exhaust cars tonight this week on the dyno. So then I'll be able to quantify the differences in mapping requirements between a stock and fully modified set-up. I agree that the first tuning step would be advancing the exhaust timing (and intake). Seems to pick up great power with no real downsides that we care about.

Quote:
AFR
After chatting earlier this week, it really hit home that with 12.5:1 compression (even with DI) you need to treat this a bit like a turbo car and use some extra fuel for cooling so you can get more timing in to get closer to MBT.

I have lots of logs of my car, when stock, running 13.2:1 WOT through the midrange with zero long and short term trims. I struggled for a while with trying to tune it at 12.8 – 13.0. It would make great power for one pull, but the minute you tried to do back to back runs it would start pulling timing. My last pump gas tune I did before going to E85 (The tune I switched back to for base map testing this week) I tuned at 12.5 – 12.6 with a dip towards the rich side of 12 up top... this was by far the most repeatable and knock free tune I have done.
I'm glad you found the same thing. My first tune attempt was also met with marginal success when I tuned for AFR that was clearly too lean for this engine. It really needs to be rich in the low end/midrange. Especially with the VVT changes. Without enough fuel, the engine will sound hollow and not make max torque.

Quote:
GDI Injection Timing
I found a little bit of power around 6,000 on E85 by moving the SOI (Start of Injection) earlier a little lower in the rpm range. I haven't had time to play with it on pump gas. Love to hear more about what you found as I think there can certainly be a sweet-spot where you get the best in cylinder cooling combined with the best charge mixture etc.

Really looking forward to seeing the E85 results soon too. I found that we are not able to get even close to MBT on pump gas above 5,000.... down low we are only off a few degrees once tuned. This is using the same method for timing tuning posted above. Keeping the advance where it makes power, removing it where it does not.
I'm looking forward to calibrating the E85 map. Thank you for sending me good starting points for injection calibration. It should save a lot of time!

Cheers,
shiv
Rombinhood@OpenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rombinhood@OpenFlash For This Useful Post:
bakerr6 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #32
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm looking forward to your e85 maps, in particular how your FI maps are. I'm planning on going with the fa20club turbo and would like to see others take the dive first with this product.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #33
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
I'm looking forward to your e85 maps, in particular how your FI maps are. I'm planning on going with the fa20club turbo and would like to see others take the dive first with this product.
I'm sure we will have FI maps in the future. And I'm sure there will be other proficient tuners using OpenFlash Tablet that have already tuned FI cars so it really shouldn't be much of a transition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rombinhood@OpenFlash For This Useful Post:
rusty959 (09-12-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can we get a sample XDF and .bin to look thru while we wait?
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
Can we get a sample XDF and .bin to look thru while we wait?
I was planning on finishing them up this weekend so that they would be available for download by the time he units are delivered next week.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #36
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombinhood@OpenFlash View Post
I was planning on finishing them up this weekend so that they would be available for download by the time he units are delivered next week.
I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to look up orders on Vishnu's site, and the confirmation email said nothing about the shipping method or about providing a tracking number or confirmation when it ships. Will we be getting any of that?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #37
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to look up orders on Vishnu's site, and the confirmation email said nothing about the shipping method or about providing a tracking number or confirmation when it ships. Will we be getting any of that?
Probably the best thing to do is email Vishnu at sales@vishnutuning.com. I believe the Tablets will start shipping out on Friday but it's best to get any other info directly from them.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone doing E85 also needs to swap out their fuel filters. I believe Sportsguy or someone else posted a thread about them disintegrating/gumming up with E85.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #39
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Anyone doing E85 also needs to swap out their fuel filters. I believe Sportsguy or someone else posted a thread about them disintegrating/gumming up with E85.
There was only one car that was effected. E85 was blamed initially. But I don't think anyone else has had that issue since...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Rombinhood@OpenFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
This post, and really everything that's happening with the OpenFlash tablet, is really what I had in mind when I first started working on RomRaider ... what, 8 years ago? Very good information and great to see it coming from a old school Subaru tuner.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but what other kinds of maps can we expect? I've heard e85, what about fuel economy maps or FI?
Great job on RomRaider... seriously. I was recently introduced to it when one of our FA20 beta testers told me about. Hope to people us it in the near future with our Tablet!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Awesome stuff. I Have ECUTEK currently, but I am planning on picking up one of these down the road....
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #42
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
yeah, no.

it happened to one person, on one car. That car probably receives more beatings than the rest of the cars on this forum combined.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-11-2013), mad_sb (09-12-2013), Mr. (09-27-2013), pmccut (09-11-2013)

Tags
cat overtemp