follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #323
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Even though the 270x has slightly better hash/$, you'll end up building more rigs just get to the same hash rate as a rig with 280x/290/290x. Each rig means you'll need to buy RAM, CPU, and motherboard at a minimum. Haven't done the exact math, but it could end up being a wash, in which case, I'd rather have less physical rigs.
I can build the rig chassis in about a half hour at a cost of $0 since all the materials are here in my work room.

An i3, ram, 1000w gold psu, good mobo and some pcie extenders costs about $500. Amd would be cheaper, but i'm thinking i3 would resell better if needed down the road, and power consumption should be slightly better.

I can't find a 280x @retail, I've gotten one, and will buy every local one that pops up @ that.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #324
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
In some ways, I feel like it's safer than stocks. If the value of bitcoins drops to $0 USD, you still have the hardware that you could sell for probably 70% of what you paid for. If the stock price drops to $0 USD, you have nothing.

On the other hand, bitcoins seem pretty volatile than stocks. Either way, you should be willing to lose all of it if you want to get into this.
As i've stated many times here, everything was bought locally for a reason, 30 day return policies.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #325
Gaiseric

Drives: 2012 Scion TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1 last question and then ill stop bothering you guys, at least for the night lol.

It looks like the prices of these coins fluctuate, can I buy them with cash and then sell when the prices rise like regular stocks or is that not something thats recommended.

Can you trade coins like regular stocks? If so from the 2 hours of reading that ive done it looks like with a sizeable investment and a sizeable jump in prices which it looks like these coins are capable of doing short and long term, as well as tanking like you guys mentioned, one could stand to make a good profit.

Please correct me if this isnt possible.
Gaiseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #326
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
1 last question and then ill stop bothering you guys, at least for the night lol.

It looks like the prices of these coins fluctuate, can I buy them with cash and then sell when the prices rise like regular stocks or is that not something thats recommended.

Can you trade coins like regular stocks? If so from the 2 hours of reading that ive done it looks like with a sizeable investment and a sizeable jump in prices which it looks like these coins are capable of doing short and long term, as well as tanking like you guys mentioned, one could stand to make a good profit.

mcxnow.com is one of several market type exchanges, there are a number of them some even larger

right now coins are the wild west, think day trading with 0 restrictions on round trips, money clearing to an account, etc, etc

thats where i'm torn right now, letting my returns add up and play it straight, or play the market and hope to hit payoff sooner.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #327
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post

You can buy Bitcoins (BTC) with cash and wait for the prices to jump. Too risky IMO unless you know A LOT about the valuation of the coins, otherwise it's just blind luck.

With stocks, you do research and assess whether or not the stock is overpriced/underpriced. With BTC, I'm not exactly sure where to even begin to perform valuations.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
cactus (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #328
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
You can buy Bitcoins (BTC) with cash and wait for the prices to jump. Too risky IMO unless you know A LOT about the valuation of the coins, otherwise it's just blind luck.

With stocks, you do research and assess whether or not the stock is overpriced/underpriced. With BTC, I'm not exactly sure where to even begin to perform valuations.
atleast on mcx you can see basically a level ii quote equivalent compared to stocks.

so basically if you are comfortable playing the order tables and momentum potential is there, the law of price elasticity is constantly demonstrated

fees are relatively small, and unlike stocks there is no restriction on round trips and money is returned to your account instantly rather than waiting for it to clear or working off margin while waiting

you also have no fdic, no protection from someone like gox walking off with your cash, lost password, hacked account, etc.

basically its a bareback market... i was ready to get my feet wet before the explosion last year, then found out my father had terminal cancer and missed the boom
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #329
Gaiseric

Drives: 2012 Scion TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hmmm looks like I have some homework to do and figure out if it would be a risk worth taking.
Gaiseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #330
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Quote:
In some ways, I feel like it's safer than stocks. If the value of bitcoins drops to $0 USD, you still have the hardware that you could sell for probably 70% of what you paid for. If the stock price drops to $0 USD, you have nothing.

On the other hand, bitcoins seem pretty volatile than stocks. Either way, you should be willing to lose all of it if you want to get into this.
This assumes the market holds when you and the rest of the mining community floods the used market with old AMD GPUs. Stocks are relatively safe compared to anything coin related, but the majority of the time, the return is less. Now, I dont see BTC going to $0, there is a lot of money invested into ASIC mining and now infrastructure.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #331
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
My bad, guys, I totally fudged the numbers. I'm still making more on Doge, but not by much. That being said, I'm going off of my mining of each for a week, so not exactly a scientific investigation.

That being said, like I asked before, do you need to point the multipools to any particular server to get them working at their highest efficiency?
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
ayau (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #332
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
My bad, guys, I totally fudged the numbers. I'm still making more on Doge, but not by much. That being said, I'm going off of my mining of each for a week, so not exactly a scientific investigation.

That being said, like I asked before, do you need to point the multipools to any particular server to get them working at their highest efficiency?
I set wafflepool to the closest server, don't think it'll make much difference though...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #333
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Finally, back from RMA

Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #334
ayau

Anyone ever bought/sold bitcoins on localbitcoins.com? It's like the Craigslist of Bitcoins. The exchange rates are usually better, but there's the risk of the seller/buyer not paying.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #335
ayau

Received my USB riser cables. Ordered 2 more 280x. Have an asrock h81 btc just sitting there. Not enough graphic cards. Lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #336
utekineir
blowhard

any aurora coin pools that aren't overloaded and useless?