follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #113
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge View Post
Why'd you choose Wilwood over Essex? I'm looking now, too, and would love some insight.
I have Wilwood front and rear, I honestly chose them because of price, and prior experience with Wilwood. I’ve had great luck with them. With both front and rear kits, braking is exceptional. More brake power gives you finer control before lockup ensues. People always say that the tires are the limiting factor with how hard your car will stop- and it is true. But, these brakes don’t rush into lockup like the stock ones, causing ABS to engage. These let you find that still remaining adhesion with a much finer level of control. My brake bias feels great. I autocross regularly, and track occasionally, am at a high horsepower level, and needed more braking power.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #114
ShibusaTouge

Drives: 2300LB FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I have Wilwood front and rear, I honestly chose them because of price, and prior experience with Wilwood. I’ve had great luck with them. With both front and rear kits, braking is exceptional. More brake power gives you finer control before lockup ensues. People always say that the tires are the limiting factor with how hard your car will stop- and it is true. But, these brakes don’t rush into lockup like the stock ones, causing ABS to engage. These let you find that still remaining adhesion with a much finer level of control. My brake bias feels great. I autocross regularly, and track occasionally, am at a high horsepower level, and needed more braking power.
What tires and pads do you run?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #115
twag4

I run continentals on the street, Bridgestone RE71 autocross, and also have Hoosier R7 for a super grippy concrete autocross location and track. I only have wilwood’s BP10 and BP20 compounds for the brakes. I want to look into some of their poly matrix compounds and BP40 too.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #116
ShibusaTouge

Quote:
I run continentals on the street, Bridgestone RE71 autocross, and also have Hoosier R7 for a super grippy concrete autocross location and track. I only have wilwood’s BP10 and BP20 compounds for the brakes. I want to look into some of their poly matrix compounds and BP40 too.
I've been doing some reading and may do a 4 wheel kit from RR Racing. Seems to use similar material as Wilwood, with better brake bias.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #117
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge View Post
I've been doing some reading and may do a 4 wheel kit from RR Racing. Seems to use similar material as Wilwood, with better brake bias.
I wanted bespoke two piece rotors instead of Subaru rotors. Purely a personal choice. I was originally going to go with RR. I have a sponsor that sold me Wilwood at a very deep discount. I got them new for silly cheap! I also feel like the brake bias is perfect in my limited experience. Btw, I turn 49 on Wednesday, so my experience is mostly with non ABS cars.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #118
ShibusaTouge

Quote:
I wanted bespoke two piece rotors instead of Subaru rotors. Purely a personal choice. I was originally going to go with RR. I have a sponsor that sold me Wilwood at a very deep discount. I got them new for silly cheap! I also feel like the brake bias is perfect in my limited experience. Btw, I turn 49 on Wednesday, so my experience is mostly with non ABS cars.
Nice to see people of all ages enjoying these cars! I took my dad (58) for a night run once and he wasn't the biggest fan
Old 12-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #119
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
im running the BP20 pads, the brake pedal feel is really good with the front and rear wilwoods. it feels quite factory (or like a factory M4) i have tortured the brakes and the paint hasn't gone brown, the pedal never dropped etc.
im really happy with them
the main reason i chose wilwood is that having driven an essex sprint kit car, i didnt want to have to deal with the limitations of wheel choices.

Closed Thread