follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Chad's BRZ

Hey guys !

I'm taking the plunge this week and picking up a BRZ. I'm currently deciding between a 2015 WRB and CWP limited. It depends on which dealer gives me the best price. I've got the CWP down to 28 OTD price, and if the WRB goes that low I may go with that. But I'll be picking one up by the end of this week and I'll post pics!

Put a deposit down on 3/25, picked up 3/26!

Here's the photos I've taken of the car and the first wash it had, as the dealer left all of the residue from the shipping film on the car

Just back from the dealer

After a quick wash

I love the hips on this car

I don't have many mod plans for the car at the moment. What I know I'd like to do:

Interior:
something with the audio. I hate the head unit.
JPM knee pads, speaker pads, and gauge hood
Some sort of dash trim JPM or carbon fiber

Exterior:
Tom's tail lights
rear OEM diffuser
Maybe lightweight wheels and Summer Tires when these tires are shot

Performance:
Perrin 2.5" headerback exhaust (Or something similar)
Catted UEL header for the sound and torque dip elimination
maybe a tune

Last edited by Chad11491; 04-02-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Chad11491

So since everyone here has seen a white BRZ about a million times, I figure I might lend this short impression on the car vs the others I've had.

This car feels almost identical to my 944 in every way. I feel like if the 944 got the extra 50 hp, and modern suspension and interior, this would be it. It is crazy how much they resemble each other in feel. Where the 944 has a smooth acceleration curve, this has the impressive torque down low, dies in the middle, and a push up top, with the BRZ being a much quicker car in general. The gearbox and clutch are worlds better on the BRZ, and have a much more connected feel. I don't particularly love the clutch pedal on the BRZ, as it doesn't have much feel, but I DO like that it is so light. The handling feels so comparable it is impressive. They both are so flat and nimble it is very enjoyable going around a corner at speed and just feeling it stick and turn in with almost no body roll, and just feeling in control at all times.

What I will say in the 944's favor is that it feels incredibly solid, and more substantial (it is almost identical in size and weight) in a good way. You feel like everything is just built like a bank vault, and to it's credit, my 30 year old 944 feels just as solid and quality as my BRZ. They really were extremely well built cars. You close the door, and it closes with a very solid reassuring thunk. The BRZ feels just as good , and it feels very high quality (to me), just lighter. The doors surprised me the first time I closed them how light they were.

VS my 280zx

I know a lot of people poo poo the 280zx as being the bloated luxo barge Z. Well they haven't driven a properly sorted one. The 280zx was lighter, wider, lower, more powerful, and more stable than the 280z it replaced. What sullied it's name was the super soft, squishy stock suspension and the engine strangled down with first generation smog units.

My Z was damn near 200hp after ported and polished intake, shaved head, megasquirt, headers and full exhaust, 240sx throttle body, and a new air intake (not really necessary) , and handled great on tokico shocks and springs.

To this day, it is probably my favorite car that I've ever owned. It just spoke to me the ways the 944 has failed to. It feels soulless compared to my Z and BRZ. I don't think I'll ever find a car that just makes my hair stand up like the howl of a well tuned L series straight six. My god, the sounds they make.

But the minute I stepped into an 86 I felt immediately at home. It feels exactly like how I always wanted my Z to feel. It is near perfect power levels for playing around and being able to get on it and not instantly be in very dangerous territory, and still being a great DD as well. I tried to convince myself to get into a 370z, but it just feels numb compared to the 86 twins, which feel like a playful go-kart riding around. I haven't had the BRZ for long, a week to date, but I am already in love with the car. It's just the perfect blend of handling, power, and has a lot of spirit. and I think we'll have a good time together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad11491 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Welcome!

I enjoyed the read you provided above...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Chad11491 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Chad11491

So I've already put nearly 2k miles on the car. Mostly highway driving to work and back, the first 1k being all backroads and around town. Since I've had some time to get used to the car and get a feel for what I want out of it, I would say I really want to get that torque dip tuned out, as it is what I drive in 60-70% of the time. I'm not going to cruise around town at 4500+ RPM and would like some more midrange grunt. Also, the car is damn near silent outside. A dodge neon has more exhaust note. All you hear is engine noise, and let's be honest. The FA20 doesn't have the greatest mechanical noise going on. The intake noise is cool, and in the cabin sounds nice, but I really want some UEL rumble going on. As I hear almost nothing from the actual exhaust sound.

So I think within the next month or two I'm going to order the JDL catted UEL header and have it ceramic coated by them to try to keep temps down. I also want to get the Grimmspeed CAI, as that seems to be the best one at the moment. I think that with an OFT would make me 100% happy power wise and drivability. If it had the pull that it does down bottom and up top all the way through the power band, it'd be perfect, and that's what those mods together seem to provide, with no torque dip. I'm happy with the power level, and I don't care if it's much higher (although that's a plus), but I really think a lot of people would find the car more enjoyable with zero torque dip.

I would also like some lightweight wheels. Maybe some forgestar f14 or tws Nurburgring or something of similar style and weight. The lower the better.

So anyway, I've been commuting a long way in ATL rush hour traffic for a new job, and found someone with good taste almost immediately! NCR in Duluth, if that's you stop by and say hi! I'm in Software! I really like the hot lava on this car.

Atlanta at sunrise can be pretty nice looking, despite the traffic. I've always liked the gold dome of the capital building.

Creeping along on the way home. This is the first time we've had a sunny, non rainy day in a week. Although we were herded into the halls because of a tornado warning at work today. So that was interesting, at least.

Leave at dark, get home at dark....... I will probably be relocating shortly. I spend half the time I do at work in the car getting there and back again.

Dirty after slogging through Atlanta for a while. The poor Porsche looks jealous, poking it's nose into the picture!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Chad11491

so 2 months later and I have just over 7K miles on the car already. Moving 7/8 to 5 miles from work, so that will be amazing having a ten minute round trip commute vs 4-5 hours

I've done a few, mostly cosmetic things to the car, though.

OEM Toyota clear side markers with amber bulbs to remain semi-legal

Invidia Q300 TI catback, mainly because I liked the blue tips and the quiet rumble it gives the car in anticipation of some UEL headers.

and some yellow fogs. These are a lot easier than I thought they'd be to install cleanly.

I installed a Raceseng Slammer knob, and have the red reverse lockout on order, since they were backordered. Pics when both are here. I absolutely love the shift knob. I was leery about spending so much on a shift knob, but the fit is absolutely perfect in my hand, the quality is absolutely top knotch, and best of all, it sat in 105 degree Georgia summer in my car, and when I got in it was the same warmth as a towel or something right out of the dryer. Absolutely perfect in every way, to Raceseng.

Oh yeah, and I have some JDL UEL goodness coming my way, thanks to their group buy.

I have an STi Gurney flap coming sometime from Japanparts.com. Never ordered something from Japan before, so we'll see how long shipping takes on that.

Next up is an open flash tablet, since I saw a local tuner that is very highly recommended will tune using open flash. Then some Tom's tails and a lip kit, I have a rear diffuser already, but I got backed into and the car's rear bumper is getting fixed in a week or so, so the diffuser will go on then. Then, when the tires wear out, I'm thinking Rota Titan 17x8's in Hyper black (more of a gunmetal color) with Michelin PSS 225/45r17's, and of course either RCE yellow's or some coilovers. Then my build will be complete (minus some interior goodies). I like simple, understated looks, and I think this will be the perfect low key aggressive look. I'm purposely spacing everything out so there's always something fresh on the car to change it up. I'm so tempted to get it all now, haha, but I have moving expenses and furniture to get before car parts.

Probably my favorite thing I've done with the car so far is meet up with 86Atlanta , and roll into caffeine and octane with them. Everyone seems like a great group of guys and it was a lot of fun walking around the car show with a few of them. If anyone is in the area, I highly recommend joining the facebook group and going to some meetup's, you won't regret it.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Silk8668

Drives: 2015 White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought the Satin White limited 4 months ago. Love the car and the Color, but trading it in for the Hyper Blue.

I know a lot of people don't like the color, BUT my Dealer just got one in and the Pictures DO NOT do it Justice. You have to see this thing with the Black wheels. I should be picking it up end of June or 1st week of July.
I only have 850 miles on my Car and they will have to sell it as Used so whoever gets my Car will get a killer deal.
The car is mint. I paid extra to have it detailed and Simonized so the Color just shines. They put an extra clear coat on the car..........

My last 2 cars were white which I love, but This new Hyper Blue will be RARE and they are only making about 3,000 of them. I have some killer ideas for this car from Caliper covers to Custom Graphics on the side skirt.....Anyone needs Graphics, I can make anything you need. I dida graphic just like the Porche Carrera door Graphics. The Subaru is in Black and BRS in Red. It looks sharp. I took them off bc I am trading it in, but will shoot photos. I will post it when I get it !!!
Attached Images

Silk8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk8668 View Post
I bought the Satin White limited 4 months ago. Love the car and the Color, but trading it in for the Hyper Blue.

I know a lot of people don't like the color, BUT my Dealer just got one in and the Pictures DO NOT do it Justice. You have to see this thing with the Black wheels. I should be picking it up end of June or 1st week of July.
I only have 850 miles on my Car and they will have to sell it as Used so whoever gets my Car will get a killer deal.
The car is mint. I paid extra to have it detailed and Simonized so the Color just shines. They put an extra clear coat on the car..........

My last 2 cars were white which I love, but This new Hyper Blue will be RARE and they are only making about 3,000 of them. I have some killer ideas for this car from Caliper covers to Custom Graphics on the side skirt.....Anyone needs Graphics, I can make anything you need. I dida graphic just like the Porche Carrera door Graphics. The Subaru is in Black and BRS in Red. It looks sharp. I took them off bc I am trading it in, but will shoot photos. I will post it when I get it !!!
OK, you had me up until "caliper covers".

Please, do the community a favor and don't put caliper covers on this car, or any car.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Toothless

Drives: 13 CBS
"Interior:
something with the audio. I hate the head unit.
JPM knee pads, speaker pads, and gauge hood
Some sort of dash trim JPM or carbon fiber"

Just curious the 15's came with knee pads and speaker pads didn't they?
Toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Chad11491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless View Post
Just curious the 15's came with knee pads and speaker pads didn't they?

Mine didn't. I think that may have been the series.blue's
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Silk8668

Drives: 2015 White BRZ Limited
HAHAHA

Well, I was waiting for the 1st SENIOR MEMBER to bring up the Caliper Covers.........Good Eye Brother !!!........ lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
OK, you had me up until "caliper covers".

Please, do the community a favor and don't put caliper covers on this car, or any car.
Silk8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
CarLava

Drives: 2008 Scion FR-S
car
CarLava is offline   Reply With Quote