follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #43
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Or its the OFT tune as mentioned above. bad timing table detonation and crappy fuel
Meh, all it is at this point pure speculation and conjecture.

I've done plenty of logging with OTS Stage 1 91oct tune on my car and Stg 2 E85 tune and there aren't problems.

But my car is stock except the cat-back.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #44
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
"I have a tune and aftermarket parts, so I'm going to blame my engine failure on my oil."

EL OH EL.

Post Hoc ergo Properter Hoc indeed.

I'm not a gambling man.. would still put all my chips on the tune. Bad gas is a probability but statistically improbable, even in the event of "bad gas" most cars don't lunch their engines, they just run very poorly. So, throwing a rod, even if bad gas was involved is still a fault of tune that was incapable of adjusting for the knock from said gas, not mention you would have noticed a poorly running engine well before you lost it (with gas bad enough to cause a failure). Sounds like a meeting of 2 flame fronts before TDC, and over a period of time it lead to a ping ping ping ping... BOOM.

Probably only happened within a small window of the RPM range so that's probably why it lasted as long as it did. Had this car been tracked or was a track only car it would probably would have failed much earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Or its the OFT tune as mentioned above. bad timing table detonation and crappy fuel
Ok by far the worst knock and lowest IAM ignition advance multipliers i ever see are cars on STOCK tune.

The tune tables are the same for all stock roms regardless of country or fuel.

America has some of the best fuel on the planet especially 93 aki and above
even usa91 is superior or at least equlivant to australia\europe 98 ron fuel.

worst place in world i know is South Africa those poor soul only have 95 ron fuel best available and its crap way worse than usa 91.

below is a log from a 86 on STOCK tune running the best fuel they have available 95 ron

the IAM is 0.2 (getting towards the limit of correction) it will generally be 1 for cars on good fuel and even with the IAM reduced to 0.2 already reducing timing 3or4 degrees he is still getting another 3 degrees of FLKC knock corrections the ecu limit is -6 degrees.

this was on road, and this guy and his mates take their cars to the track regularly in summer in south africa, and none of them have blown up.

http://datazap.me/u/steve99/south-af...28&zoom=0-1713

he now has tune and runs heaps smoother IAM is 1 almost no knock more power.

The ecu is extremly good at managing knock.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #45
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
Better question, when he was monitoring afr, was it the stock o2 sensor using torque or some similar android app? Unless he has a better o2 and possibly map sensor, torque is a pretty useless measuring tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
Pssshh... ain't the oil, unless he has logged data to back up more of his story. ^^ Also curious if he's using a proper and accurate wideband afr meter tool... plus you could be dumping mass fuel from an ots tune and run a sub 10 afr and still throw a rod
Lets not start the wideband debate again...

The stock sensor is "good enough" for 90% of the shit people are doing. Hell I use mine in closed loop fueling compensations! I have never actually tuned my own FRS with a "real" wideband. I used the factory o2 sensor on every flash I ever did on my own car because its "good enough". And I am fairly confident I run more boost than just about everyone in this thread... lol

AFR should bee seen more as a "fuzzy suggestion" when it comes to tuning. But that is a WHOLE different topic. There are many reasons that we don't use the exact same AFR on every car under every condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I'll just place this here... Mind you my LM2 has an extra latency over AFR which has latency over equivalence ratio...

It is not always this consistent but it is more often than people seem to be suggesting.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #46
Hector

Drives: Toyota GT86 Satin-White-Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some engines simply blow because of mechanical issues or they were abused or someone could not read the dip stick correctly or........ My Subaru dealer puts Motul 0w40 into the FA20 and after endless miles on race tracks they never had a single failure. 0w20 is there for economical reasons not for reliability. It also soaks a lot water which prevents proper lubrication and expands a lot under heat. A vented catch can may also help to keep combustion clean.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0w-20, blown engine, frs, oil, oil change