follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #323
Sideways?

Drives: Toyota GT86 - Blue - Leather - Nav
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
This noise started for me a few weeks ago so I'm going to try the fix and see how I get on because it drives me absolutely nuts!!

Thanks for the whole thread, especially the updates to the first page, made it very easy to get the help I needed!

Current Mileage: 5900 - And I still love it to bits!!
Sideways? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways? For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (01-02-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #324
sieeegel

Drives: rsx was stolen :(
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well i thought for the longest time that it had something to do with the rear chassis. Unfortunately all of these tricks didnt solve the problem. I took today to figure out where the noise was coming from and i think i found 2 areas.

1) The rear part of the headliner, where there is an anchor point with roof the car, there constantly is a rattle at various speeds. I think it has some thing do with the actual anchor hitting the roof of the car when i go over bumps

2) This is where i think the noise is really coming from: the rear right airbag. I removed the plastic cover for the rear airbag and gently tapped the rolled up bag. When i tapped the bag, I could hear the annoying vibration noise that has been driving me mad. I put a tiny piece of cloth around one of the metal hooks that attach the airbag to the steel chassis to dampen the noise. I put everything back together and the noise seems to be gone!

If people have been having issues with this rear deck noise and the tricks in the thread do not seem to work, I would suggest looking at the rear passenger side airbag.
sieeegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sieeegel For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #325
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I will look into that. Thanks!
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #326
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieeegel View Post
Well i thought for the longest time that it had something to do with the rear chassis. Unfortunately all of these tricks didnt solve the problem. I took today to figure out where the noise was coming from and i think i found 2 areas.

1) The rear part of the headliner, where there is an anchor point with roof the car, there constantly is a rattle at various speeds. I think it has some thing do with the actual anchor hitting the roof of the car when i go over bumps

2) This is where i think the noise is really coming from: the rear right airbag. I removed the plastic cover for the rear airbag and gently tapped the rolled up bag. When i tapped the bag, I could hear the annoying vibration noise that has been driving me mad. I put a tiny piece of cloth around one of the metal hooks that attach the airbag to the steel chassis to dampen the noise. I put everything back together and the noise seems to be gone!

If people have been having issues with this rear deck noise and the tricks in the thread do not seem to work, I would suggest looking at the rear passenger side airbag.
Any chance you could do a little DIY on how to check for this?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #327
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Garage
Quote:

You may be on to something. When I first heard my noise, I also traced it to behind the rear right-hand side airbag cover. However, I assumed it was the cover itself rattling. I had just gotten the car back from the tinter, and I assumed they put the paneling back on incorrectly after completing the job. Sure enough, there were some clips that were not correctly seated. Long story short though, over a month later, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

Tonight, I went as far as removing the entire rear decklid cover, and so far the noise is gone. I'm going to leave it off and see how it does at highway speeds tomorrow before declaring victory though. If that solves it, obviously I still need to determine what part of the decklid is causing it.

If anyone decides to go this route, a tutorial can be found here for removing the rear decklid.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #328
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just got it back from the dealer. They changed the hpfp, drl right and left, and tail light.
They also did the tsb for popping sound. It's still here, louder than before. Fml.
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #329
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjac3 View Post
Just got it back from the dealer. They changed the hpfp, drl right and left, and tail light.
They also did the tsb for popping sound. It's still here, louder than before. Fml.
Let me warn you before getting hopes up. There is a good chance the crickets will be back.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #330
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Let me warn you before getting hopes up. There is a good chance the crickets will be back.
I know there is a chance. I just wanted to do it before a tune and mods. That way I can say it was happening before the mods
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #331
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Welp.... add me to the list... I hear them. More so when I run over bumps. I thought I was kicking up rocks and they were hitting the body pan of the car... but nope, must be this... thanks for the info guys. Going to ask my dealer what TSB's are out and what has been Complied With.
DriftEightSix (02-01-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #332
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Garage
Drove to work today with the declkid cover and c-pillar covers removed, and the noise is only amplified. There is a rattling noise coming from each c-pillar, which is where the rear airbags are. There was also a popping noise coming from the decklid itself, which seems to come and go. These noises are really souring my opinion of this car. I'll try some things again tonight.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #333
sieeegel

Drives: rsx was stolen :(
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Later tonight I will put together a brief DIY on how to get rid of the sound.
sieeegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sieeegel For This Useful Post:
Jayde (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #334
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Drove to work today with the declkid cover and c-pillar covers removed, and the noise is only amplified. There is a rattling noise coming from each c-pillar, which is where the rear airbags are. There was also a popping noise coming from the decklid itself, which seems to come and go. These noises are really souring my opinion of this car. I'll try some things again tonight.

Pisses me off too... I just turn the radio up... lol... but thats not the fix for it. I'm not pulling shit apart either, I'm going to go to the dealership I got it from, and take my sales guy for a ride and let him hear it... then I'm going to give him a print out of this forum and then let them fix it... I shouldn't have to do ANYTHING when I just bought the car with 6700 miles on it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #335
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Later tonight I will put together a brief DIY on how to get rid of the sound.
*Waits patiently for DIY*
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #336
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
I definately hear a popping sound coming from the back of the car. Used to it by now, lol.