follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #15
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
So in other words, no matter how I buy them, the LED's will sh!t on me eventually compared to oem ones?
If you're talking about LED lights in general, the answer is no. Not all LEDs crap out. Some of them last a really long time. It depends on the quality of the components used and how they're installed. With the Valentis, I don't know if it's their design or that they're using really cheap boards. They're not the only one with this problem. I've seen pics of Buddy Club tails with rows of lamps out also.

However, the Tom's tails are also LED. They don't seem to be losing boards the way others are. Depot may be using better components, or it may just be that they're not trying to cram 50 LEDs into a single housing.

Tom's do have a problem, though. The heat from the drivers melts the black plastic along the top of the light inside the outer housing, opening a gap for light to escape. Mine have this problem. Eventually I'm going to open them up and fix it, but a $480 set of lights shouldn't do this.

Here's a pic (not my car) of the problem:

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (01-15-2016), Tcoat (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #16
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If you're talking about LED lights in general, the answer is no. Not all LEDs crap out. Some of them last a really long time. It depends on the quality of the components used and how they're installed. With the Valentis, I don't know if it's their design or that they're using really cheap boards. They're not the only one with this problem. I've seen pics of Buddy Club tails with rows of lamps out also.

However, the Tom's tails are also LED. They don't seem to be losing boards the way others are. Depot may be using better components, or it may just be that they're not trying to cram 50 LEDs into a single housing.

Tom's do have a problem, though. The heat from the drivers melts the black plastic along the top of the light inside the outer housing, opening a gap for light to escape. Mine have this problem. Eventually I'm going to open them up and fix it, but a $480 set of lights shouldn't do this.

Here's a pic (not my car) of the problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
So in other words, no matter how I buy them, the LED's will sh!t on me eventually compared to oem ones?

If they only lasted me 3yrs w/o issues id consider them.... Guess maybe TOM's are in my future?
Quote:
It's probably the driver. LEDs are powered by a little circuit board. The LEDs themselves don't throw off a lot of IR heat, but the driver boards do produce heat. If you seal them up in an enclosure with nowhere for that heat to go, the driver boards will cook themselves. If you leave a chimney for the heat to escape, water gets in them. There's no really good solution other than to use high quality drivers and fewer LEDs rather than trying to light the car up like a Christmas tree. The Valentis probably go out in groups like they do because a single driver is running multiple LEDs.

A bunch of builders in Florida jumped on the LED bandwagon and installed LED street lamps and parking lot lights, which promptly failed. Since they were off during the day, they were cool enough for seagulls to perch on. The seagulls shit all over the heat sinks on top so that they overheated at night and cooked the boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post
The thing about LED is that they are best not used in an enclosure, because heat shortens their life.
Recent electrical engineer graduate here with a fun fact:

The term @extrashaky is referring to is called thermal runaway, the driver is supposed to lower voltage as temperature increases to the average of the LEDs preventing damage and then when temp decreases far enough go back up in voltage. But what that ends up happening as a byproduct of lower voltage, is an increase in the current running to the LED when you lower the volts. When the driver fails, is of bad quality, over stressed (i.e. one driver for way too many LEDs on a strip) or in the case of taillights constant heat cycling in an enclosed space, you end up with the set of the LEDS (can be 1 or even 5 or 10) getting too much current and burning themselves out. The OEM brake lights don't have this problem because its about 15 super bright LEDs spaced apart with a really high quality probably DENSO driver
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 01-16-2016 at 12:18 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-16-2016), Tcoat (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I learned more about LED lights in the last 5 minutes then I did in the last 10 years! All very good to know as we are going all LED in the new plant we are building (not the same I know but the principals still apply).
chaoskaze (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I learned more about LED lights in the last 5 minutes then I did in the last 10 years! All very good to know as we are going all LED in the new plant we are building (not the same I know but the principals still apply).

Those are probably even more hardcore, they probably have dedicated heat sinks and stuff if they are industrial spotlight setups and such.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
shhh...I thought we were keeping the new building a secret?
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
shhh...I thought we were keeping the new building a secret?
Not THAT one the OTHER one.
continuecrushing (01-16-2016), Ultramaroon (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
My first gen.'s both failed with 2 weeks of each other. Luckily they were still just less than a year old and were replaced by the vendor. The replacements have been failure free since then. If I remember correctly, there was a date stamped on the new ones on the outer housing. Don't remember if the first gens. had a date on them or not.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Those are probably even more hardcore, they probably have dedicated heat sinks and stuff if they are industrial spotlight setups and such.
Those large lamps do in fact have heat sinks on them. As long as they have air circulating around them to take away the heat, they're fine.

Problem comes in when you put them in a drop ceiling or other enclosed space and don't allow for the heat. You have architects who used to allow for the heat from fluorescent ballasts who now think the LEDs don't produce any heat, so they don't provide for air circulation. They raise the drop ceiling too high or call for the fixtures to be mounted flush against surfaces, where the heat has nowhere to go. Then you get fixtures cooking themselves and failing, and everyone wants to blame the PE who told them all along that they can't do that.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-16-2016), Ultramaroon (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Those large lamps do in fact have heat sinks on them. As long as they have air circulating around them to take away the heat, they're fine.

Problem comes in when you put them in a drop ceiling or other enclosed space and don't allow for the heat. You have architects who used to allow for the heat from fluorescent ballasts who now think the LEDs don't produce any heat, so they don't provide for air circulation. They raise the drop ceiling too high or call for the fixtures to be mounted flush against surfaces, where the heat has nowhere to go. Then you get fixtures cooking themselves and failing, and everyone wants to blame the PE who told them all along that they can't do that.

Yup here's a good example:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBASHBvrMC0"]LED Lighting System - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #24
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
My first gen.'s both failed with 2 weeks of each other. Luckily they were still just less than a year old and were replaced by the vendor. The replacements have been failure free since then. If I remember correctly, there was a date stamped on the new ones on the outer housing. Don't remember if the first gens. had a date on them or not.

I have heard they've revised there designs and production stuff though, as in no more condensation as well