follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #99
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Often times cruise control can be safer on smaller rural roads as well, IMHO. I find it allows me to keep my eyes on the road, rather than constantly glancing at the speedometer. It also allows me to cover the brake with my foot, allowing for a quicker reaction time if something happens.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 03:04 AM   #100
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antuono View Post
But what happens when your blowing through stop signs? And running over kids?
Stop signs are for pu55ies and the damn kids shouldn't have been playing in the road. I blame the parents.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #101
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Often times cruise control can be safer on smaller rural roads as well, IMHO. I find it allows me to keep my eyes on the road, rather than constantly glancing at the speedometer. It also allows me to cover the brake with my foot, allowing for a quicker reaction time if something happens.
3rd gear, 25 MPH, happy neighbors.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #102
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Stop signs are for pu55ies and the damn kids shouldn't have been playing in the road. I blame the parents.
I see kids as moving cones; perfect time to get in some practice before auto-x season actually starts.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #103
Antuono

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
I see kids as moving cones; perfect time to get in some practice before auto-x season actually starts.
I couldn't agree more. When I see kids in the street and I actually speed up this is a great life lesson for them(stay the hell out of the street) and helps me test out my ABS and see how much body roll i have/suspension travel.
Antuono is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antuono For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #104
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
33.6 for me.
That is with 99% highway driving with cruise set at 75. There are trips I don't touch a pedal for almost 2 hours.
I don't get to play in city traffic much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Is it really so bad to not use cruise control? I'm asking because I've never used it. I dont feel comfortable unless I'm alert and in control the whole drive. Even for five hour long drives, I've never used cruise control.

I do keep a pretty consistent speed using my foot though. Although highway traffic around here isnt real consistent anyway, I feel like cruise control would be useless.
Cruise control is my friend. Spending 14 hours a week on open highway I could not get along without it anymore.
Besides it isn't like I just suddenly fall asleep while doing thi ZZZZZ ZZZZZ ZZZZZ
Dadhawk (01-11-2016), stevesnj (01-12-2016), Ultramaroon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #105
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah i call BS i drive 4 hours once a month all highway and i only see 28mph.
i have yet to see even 30 mpg like the sticker said.
Do you have mods that would impact it, or is your highway driving in heavy traffic?

I ask because the lowest I've seen on a full tank is a little over 27MPG and that was with about a little less than 50% of what I consider "city" driving. (again, I have the AT).

On the highway, I've never gotten below 30 for a full tank, usually driving about 9 miles an hour over the posted speed limit, on cruise control. In the areas I drive that usually means I'm driving between 75 and 80.

Like @Tcoat says, I use cruise control heavily. Most of my 45 minute commute is on roads that have a 55MPH speed limit and little traffic. No reason not to use it. The Cruise in my car does "hunt" a little bit more than ones in previous cars (loses/gains some speed on hills, etc) but overall it's not bad.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #106
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Don't forget the impact of tire pressure and tire diameter (for those who have aftermarket wheels) in addition to compound and width which have already been mentioned. There are to many variables to compare overall mileage but I would think nearly everyone should be between 30 and 35 steady highway cruising between 60 and 75 mph.

Note the difference between stock and 225 RS3:
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2016), Ultramaroon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #107
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah i call BS i drive 4 hours once a month all highway and i only see 28mph.
i have yet to see even 30 mpg like the sticker said.

Nope..that is how its been since day one. That is the computers readings and when I do the calculation myself I get 1 MPG less.

I don't floor it / keep tires inflated at 34-35/ and always use 93 octane. The highway miles in the low 40 MPG only happens on flat roads (up and down hills reduce it to ~38 MPG) and I have to be on the road for over 5 hrs at a steady pace (no traffic).
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #108
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Sorry, but what you just described is how to be a really, REALLY annoying asshole on the highway. I absolutely HATE people who drive like that. You should maintain a constant speed on the highway, ideally by using cruise control. Otherwise you're just that **** that passes me going downhill, only for me to have to pass them again for the umpteenth time on the next incline. I don't give two hoots about your need to get that extra 1 or 2 MPG. The world doesn't revolve around you, so maintain a constant speed instead of becoming an annoying obstacle for all of the other drivers on the road.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but people who can't maintain a constant speed on the highway are some of the most infuriating drivers on the road.

Also, I don't know why you think you have to avoid cruise control to get good mileage. I set my cruise control to 78 MPH and I average 33 MPG.
Um, I don't think you understand what i'm talking about - the absolute slowest speed I want to be going in the desolate west on a long gradual incline is 80mph at the top...and on long straights I'm holding a constant 85mph +/- 1mph, all depending on traffic conditions of course. Most of my passing is done on the UPHILL sections. If you are maintaining a cruise speed of 78mph I would pass you on the uphill and be out of your sight in a matter of minutes. On 1,500mile trips you'll be spending many, many extra hours on the road using cruise set to 78mph.

Cruise control won't allow the method to be used...which is why I don't use cruise control. I'm constantly evaluating the pedal pressure to keep engine load as low as possible for the target speed and micro-managing it along with reading all traffic within sight and calculating passes to keep from minimizing the need to ever slow down. The passes are a moving slot where speed needs to constantly be adjusted depending on traffic, especially when it involves multiple semi-trailers closing at different rates. This is for long distance interstate travel where the car needs to be filled up many times a day...daily driving is totally different (because lower speeds, much denser traffic, and on interstates most all slower drivers keep right like they should, including myself while off the interstate and in town traffic is a constant flux of slow and fast drivers in any and every lane.)

Honestly, I don't think I've ever used cruise control more than a few times in 20+ years driving.

Last edited by Vracer111; 01-11-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #109
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...RZ&srchtyp=ymm
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote