follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for new car for my girl

So im looking for semi sporty and fun to drive car. So i narrowed it down to nissan juke or veloster turbo. I need auto since it will be driven mostly by my girlfriend and needs space. So no frs or brz. And under 23000.
I like the look on veloster and its got tons of options. but its very small and ride quality is very harsh, not in the sporty way.
I also like the juke as well, its got more space than veloster but less options. But drivability is so much better than veloster. And suspension is very well tuned. And optional awd is definitely a plus.

If u have experiences with these cars, please let me know how they are.
Looking for availability of aftermarket parts, performance capability, reliablilty, and just pure fun to drive car.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if its purely down to those 2, id say go with the juke. The veloster has got enough go-juice to be fun as a daily driver, but you are right, the handling and suspension leave a lot to be desired.

The juke is pretty versatile, but the concensus is that its uglier than sin. The juke has more cargo space, and awd, and the cvt transmission is better for a novice driver. The veloster turbo would have a much bigger aftermarket but it just wouldnt be worth it with an automatic transmission.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Avoiding potential train wreck here:
(1) Are you buying this car for your girlfriend? Is she a keeper? Being more descriptive: ARE YOU GOING TO MARRY HER. I've seen friends do this before for their girlies (who end up ex-girlies), and I've yet to see it turn out well.
(2) What does she want? If she's the one driving it 99% of the time, I think that's more important than you imposing what you want on her. This is more important if she's the one paying for the car. She needs to have input (you didn't mention if she did) and she needs to test drive many cars.

Not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take it as that, but these are some honest things to think about.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chimpo For This Useful Post:
Giccin (01-25-2013), M-17 (01-24-2013), whaap (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've test driven a Veloster (not the turbo) it's fun looking but I didn't find it that fun to drive.

I know alot of people like the Juke. I've never driven one, but in my opinion the styling is just too weird. To me it looks like a sports car ate to much and got fat. Hideous on an Aztek level.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
caliboy15

Drives: 1994 NA8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nissan joke.lol
caliboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
A bright red Mazda 3.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
jkonquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
Avoiding potential train wreck here:
(1) Are you buying this car for your girlfriend? Is she a keeper? Being more descriptive: ARE YOU GOING TO MARRY HER. I've seen friends do this before for their girlies (who end up ex-girlies), and I've yet to see it turn out well.
(2) What does she want? If she's the one driving it 99% of the time, I think that's more important than you imposing what you want on her. This is more important if she's the one paying for the car. She needs to have input (you didn't mention if she did) and she needs to test drive many cars.

Not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take it as that, but these are some honest things to think about.
Well the car is for both of us. And she was the one who picked the juke and veloster. She was driving my other car for while but its time to trade that car. I have been with her for over 5 years and if something to happen ill just keep the car lol
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
jkonquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
I've test driven a Veloster (not the turbo) it's fun looking but I didn't find it that fun to drive.

I know alot of people like the Juke. I've never driven one, but in my opinion the styling is just too weird. To me it looks like a sports car ate to much and got fat. Hideous on an Aztek level.
Juke is one of those car that grows on you, i hated it at first to but more i look at it i can actually stand the car. Test drove the regular veloster as well and i wasnt so impressed by it
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Ever thought of Impreza, Forrester, Legacy, MS3, or Altima?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Ever thought of Impreza, Forrester, Legacy, MS3, or Altima?

+1 Forester's good, I personally like the SF5's, but the newer ones are more SUV like.

Imprezas are good starter cars, get a civic if you want top tier bullet proof reliablity.

Though it's 23,000.. a bit more and you could get a FRS.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
jaynutter2
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Well the car is for both of us. And she was the one who picked the juke and veloster. She was driving my other car for while but its time to trade that car. I have been with her for over 5 years and if something to happen ill just keep the car lol
Why can't she get her own car? Avoid the potential disaster and let her buy her own things. If you old car isn't good enough then she should buy her own. This is just a bad setup for the future. She is going to expect expensive things from you if you do this. Since you refer to her as your girlfriend I assume you are both young. Shit only gets worse with age. Nothing worse than someone who depends on you for support. Don't forget to get a prenup, unless she has a trust fund waiting in a few years.

If this is a long term relationship make sure you have the name on the loan and title you want in case things end badly. If your name is on the loan and title you will be stuck with the bill if things end. Good luck forcing her to make payments for something you signed for.
jaynutter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For that price? Lightly used, 4-dr GTI. It's a fun/sporty car, has a surprising amount of cargo space, and the DSG transmission is great.

I enjoy mine:

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
ette (01-24-2013), M-17 (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Juke is one of those car that grows on you, i hated it at first to but more i look at it i can actually stand the car. Test drove the regular veloster as well and i wasnt so impressed by it
The Juke has grown on me, I no longer feel queasy when I see one.

Looks aside I hear they're nice, and all that matters is that the person who buys it likes it. Aztek owners all seem to love them even though no one else does, and that's just fine.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I bought my wife a 2012 honda fit last year... great car, holds a crap load of stuff with the fold down seats, and 30+ city, close to 40 hwy

with the 8k you will save... buy turbo for your car
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote