follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob 2fast4u View Post
if you really want, you can reduce the price dramatically by going with ecu master, haltech or others with obd2 capability, display the info on a tablet for a gauge cluster and then you're able to remove abs module, since you'll have speed through the ecu and coolant temp, boost, afr, tach,... you can even wire up the sending unit as an input for fuel level.

This will be the direction I'll be leaning towards

the wheel speed is through the abs module, not through the ecu directly
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
if you really want, you can reduce the price dramatically by going with ecu master, haltech or others with obd2 capability, display the info on a tablet for a gauge cluster and then you're able to remove abs module, since you'll have speed through the ecu and coolant temp, boost, afr, tach,... you can even wire up the sending unit as an input for fuel level.

This will be the direction I'll be leaning towards

No PS, No AC, No ABS, No speedometer, No Odometer, Might as well buy a total loss at that point because it's not even close to a street car. But yes, that would make it cost less. If you want to go that route I'll sell you a Race Pak and FRS Bezel designed for Race Pak dash, I have one here.
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
DustinS (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #17
Pure Automotive

Our game plan with this car is to install every piece of the the swap that we sell, outline these parts and the install, and show you that they do fit and we support them 100% because we have personally installed them all piece by piece.

But what if I told you.......... We might sell this car as a complete running car when we are done..... Would anyone be interested? You would get to follow the build all the way through and see every part of it go together and then take it home when we're done.

Thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-17-2017), shayangh (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
rob 2fast4u

Drives: 2JZ BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
No PS, No AC, No ABS, No speedometer, No Odometer, Might as well buy a total loss at that point because it's not even close to a street car. But yes, that would make it cost less. If you want to go that route I'll sell you a Race Pak and FRS Bezel designed for Race Pak dash, I have one here.
I wasn't trying to downplay this at all just alternative solution for anyone with knowledge on wiring and tuning. It will have speed input from the F&R wheel speed sensors going to the ecu directly and having the ability to add traction control, boost by gear etc. the AC can be requested to turn on from the ecu itself also and will idle up if IACV is being used, powersteering can be left in "limp mode" or could work with a canbus translator (a member on here has done this). Having abs removed won't be such a big deal in my case, It wont be driven to its limit on the street or be a track car or be a winter car (canada) some argue that you absolutely need it but with a properly set up vehicle with proportional braking and being driven responsively I find its not needed.

by having an android tablet running as the dash, it will have speed, tach, fuel lvl, odo, and even more by adding in afr, boost, timing, knock... information provided by the ecu. This isn't a top of the line way of going about it but for some of the people wanting to save here and there, maybe this could be made as option or suggestion.

Last edited by rob 2fast4u; 11-17-2017 at 03:37 PM.
rob 2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
rob 2fast4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Their whole point is to have as close to an OEM installation as possible. Which None of those provide.
other than abs and power steering yes you are right
Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #20
spitfire481

nobody else has a fully functioning electronics setup yet that works without issue, at any price point. we built this package to make an easy, plug in setup that doesn't require you to re-wire half of your car or spend countless hours doing trial and error testing. We can't sell a "kit" based on the hopes that the end consumer can/wants to go through all that r&d. Also if that were the case, they wouldn't even be in the market for an electronics plug and play kit to begin with. We are not in the market to make a cheaper solution that needs a bunch of wiring, testing, setup, etc. It was as close to OEM as possible or nothing
@spitfire481
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
shayangh (11-17-2017), Sportsguy83 (11-22-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #21
rob 2fast4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
nobody else has a fully functioning electronics setup yet that works without issue, at any price point. we built this package to make an easy, plug in setup that doesn't require you to re-wire half of your car or spend countless hours doing trial and error testing. We can't sell a "kit" based on the hopes that the end consumer can/wants to go through all that r&d. Also if that were the case, they wouldn't even be in the market for an electronics plug and play kit to begin with. We are not in the market to make a cheaper solution that needs a bunch of wiring, testing, setup, etc. It was as close to OEM as possible or nothing
correct, at that point it would be simpler to either purchase or design a harness from scratch.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
spitfire481

Quote:
correct, at that point it would be simpler to either purchase or design a harness from scratch.
Can't beat building an entire race chassis harness, so satisfying knowing every square inch of the car lol
@spitfire481
Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #23
rob 2fast4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
Can't beat building an entire race chassis harness, so satisfying knowing every square inch of the car lol
haha yeah man, its alot to take in but its rewarding in the end, and makes you that more knowledgeable about your own car. When is the deal going to happen on your custom engine mounts Im getting close to that point
Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #24
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Our game plan with this car is to install every piece of the the swap that we sell, outline these parts and the install, and show you that they do fit and we support them 100% because we have personally installed them all piece by piece.

But what if I told you.......... We might sell this car as a complete running car when we are done..... Would anyone be interested? You would get to follow the build all the way through and see every part of it go together and then take it home when we're done.

Thoughts?

depends on what we are looking at for the $$$$$ range
Old 11-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #25
silthos

Drives: Frs
Quote:

Thoughts?

Would you be interested in building another th400 car?
silthos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silthos For This Useful Post:
Pure Automotive (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #26
shayangh

Drives: 2015 Brz
Garage
Depending on when the project is finish and price absolutely!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #27
Pure Automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silthos View Post
Would you be interested in building another th400 car?
I would love to, we have done 3 now and they are so much fun once they are done'
Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #28
silthos

Drives: Frs
I need to find a shell first. I sent an email awhile back about y'all building me one but never got a response. I'll hit you up once i get a shell.
silthos is offline   Reply With Quote