follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucas View Post
I have a lot of experience designing sheet metal parts for production. If you are interested in something, let me know and I can do it. I am not free however since my time is limited. I use ProE for sheet metal CAD work.

I can also have a prototype made locally***
But.. But... These forums are all about helping fellow members out ..

Lol, I'm willing to pay, just not an arm and a leg, do you have a car on site that you can grab measurements from? (I assume yes) would you be able to have fabbed out of plastic or something? I'd really like something like the first idea pic I have, the one with tablet in it (my paint drawing lol). If you can have it made so the little tray/holder for the tablet sits right at the seam of the HVAC controls and the little cubby that would be awesome, I still wanna be able to use my usb/aux, if you have to you can use the little cubby hole to have little supports coming out holding the little tray thats fine, I want a completely reversible solution though. How much are we talking about for R&D here? I'm sure I can make something myself for pretty cheap.

Also maybe I can do a feeler/interest gauger to see if I can get anywhere from 5-20 people who would be interested?

Thanks for your offer of kind assistance
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Xenith

Drives: Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
But.. But... These forums are all about helping fellow members out ..

Lol, I'm willing to pay, just not an arm and a leg, do you have a car on site that you can grab measurements from? (I assume yes) would you be able to have fabbed out of plastic or something? I'd really like something like the first idea pic I have, the one with tablet in it (my paint drawing lol). If you can have it made so the little tray/holder for the tablet sits right at the seam of the HVAC controls and the little cubby that would be awesome, I still wanna be able to use my usb/aux, if you have to you can use the little cubby hole to have little supports coming out holding the little tray thats fine, I want a completely reversible solution though. How much are we talking about for R&D here? I'm sure I can make something myself for pretty cheap.

Also maybe I can do a feeler/interest gauger to see if I can get anywhere from 5-20 people who would be interested?

Thanks for your offer of kind assistance
This is something I too am interested in doing, I just havn't had the time to start (graduate classes are way too time consuming). I'm an ME and I use CAD (solidworks specifically) daily in my job designing sheetmetal and plastic parts. It may be a few weeks before I can start it, but I can make a CAD model for free. My design will likely be made from fiberglass though as I have the materials on hand and so it would be very cheap for me to make it. Also, I have a Nexus 7, and FRS, so should be able to get something that fits well
Xenith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xenith For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
This is something I too am interested in doing, I just havn't had the time to start (graduate classes are way too time consuming). I'm an ME and I use CAD (solidworks specifically) daily in my job designing sheetmetal and plastic parts. It may be a few weeks before I can start it, but I can make a CAD model for free. My design will likely be made from fiberglass though as I have the materials on hand and so it would be very cheap for me to make it. Also, I have a Nexus 7, and FRS, so should be able to get something that fits well
lol, thats kool, let us know what u come up with!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
iPad or Nexus 7 (I have both)!
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I like this idea alot.. I'd find the requested location too low ofor my taste, so I jotted an idea below which may make this more universally appealing to those wanting gauges without a radio swap.

To avoid the "its in the way" scenarios, why not make a slot that runs the height of the " interior walls pictured above" which allows the tablet to be raised to near radio level, then lowered to cover the HVAC when needed? A spring button could "click" and lock the height in so the tablet stays in place once mounted. This mod would require modification to only the "walls" which can be purchased as a seperate part from the knee pads keeping expenses low while also looking factory.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It is all yours since I can't beat that price
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
lol only problem i may have is getting my tablet in that spot, currently i have a asus infinity tablet which is 10 inches, i have thought about getting a nexus 7 but have not done so, i'll still be following this to see how well it will work with possibly different sized tablets.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing your results
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
jack

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Heres a thought ,velcro !
Make a slide in back board with velcro on it ,and also on your TABLET ,
the back board could have a bottom lip and side wings .
a pair of "c" channel strips say 6mm wide .
So when finnished could just side unit out and only be left with only the "c" channell strips.
If you want i can draw up what am thinking in solid works ,
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
jack

drawing

Hi
I knocked this up ,you get the idea ,velcro in the middle ,or clamp the tablet in place ,i would angle it back say 5* make it easy to see.and wouldn`t come out easy .
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TABLET ASSY.PDF (343.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: pdf SIDE STRIP.PDF (591.1 KB, 172 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
jack

hi have a look at the drawing i posted ,you could use some stand ups and make another plate come up and forward more ,that way it would side wings .just hold your tablet ,ipad ect up against that area ,and as long you can still shift gears .all good ,message me and i will draw it for you ,so you get the idea ,$10 bucks in parts should be enought to make it .
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
hi have a look at the drawing i posted ,you could use some stand ups and make another plate come up and forward more ,that way it would side wings .just hold your tablet ,ipad ect up against that area ,and as long you can still shift gears .all good ,message me and i will draw it for you ,so you get the idea ,$10 bucks in parts should be enought to make it .
So the tablet would be velvro'ed to the back plate? The back of the nexus 7 isnt flat . Would you be able to fab that? Cause I don't think I can lol
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Here's an idea jk yeah I'm going to make something.. Still thinking..
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
Here's an idea jk yeah I'm going to make something.. Still thinking..
Rofl