follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #113
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Dropped her off at the garage this morning. My car will be the 4th that the garage is sorting. I thought that they worked on the valve springs with the engine in place, but they take it out.. but only remove the valve covers to get to the valve springs, no other engine stripping..

They have been given 8hrs to work on the standard family car and 14hrs for the BRZ.

He suggested that they can change the clutch as the engine will be out, got me thinking about uprated clutch and lightweight flywheel... The manager is okay installing the upgraded parts.. I am tempted, looking at TRD items.

The last time I had a balanced lightweight flywheel installed it made a massive difference in how the car picked up revs.. it's tempting.
Good luck!

It's my understanding that they usually remove the engine for this operation - kind of tough to get to the valve springs with the engine in place.

Also, I believe that they have to remove the cams (in addition to the valve covers) to get to the valve springs - since it is an overhead cam engine.

Of course, you have asked them to replace the TOB with the new improved version?

I'm not a fan of lightweight flywheels for average driving -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #114
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
The last time I had a balanced lightweight flywheel installed it made a massive difference in how the car picked up revs.. it's tempting.
It'll be fun as long as you don't mind listening to the gearbox rattle.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #115
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good luck!

It's my understanding that they usually remove the engine for this operation - kind of tough to get to the valve springs with the engine in place.

Also, I believe that they have to remove the cams (in addition to the valve covers) to get to the valve springs - since it is an overhead cam engine.

Of course, you have asked them to replace the TOB with the new improved version?

I'm not a fan of lightweight flywheels for average driving -

humfrz

The garage manager was saying that they don't remove the cams but use a method of pressurising the cylinders to stop the valves closing... kinda sounded like witchcraft or magic...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #116
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
The garage manager was saying that they don't remove the cams but use a method of pressurising the cylinders to stop the valves closing... kinda sounded like witchcraft or magic...
Sounds like your car will be the first BRZ they do. The cams have to come out. Keeping the valves in place with air is nothing new, and completely separate from removing vs. not removing the cams.

Cams stay in on the fb engine, they have to come out on the fa. They may have done 3 cars, but it sounds like they’ve all been of the fb variety.

Good luck. Removing the front cover in order to remove the cams is where the problems are coming from.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
JD001 (06-09-2019), nos145 (06-10-2019)