follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #1065
SPEEDGOD
I don't lie.

Drives: AE86 Successor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got contacted by Transport Canada, please help build this case everyone by going here: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
Old 07-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #1066
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
If anyone has this type of failure (ie; knocking, bearing failure) after the recall insist that the dealer who did the repair pull the oil pan and inspect the oil pickup in your presence. Also have them use a boroscope to look inside the pickup. These types of failures occur when they let old sealant & debris fall into the engine during the recall. It plugs the oil pickup and oil starves the engine. It's a dealership workmanship issue.
I had mine done at Toyota of Louisville. Since I have three "Toyotas", they see me a lot for oil changes and other stuff. One of the mechanics there has a brother with a rather seriously souped up FR-S (turbo, etc.) - and he did all the mods there with his brother. They had him do the work on my car (as well as the spark plug change at 120k). That was 15,000 miles ago. I noticed no difference after the work was done.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
Opie (08-02-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #1067
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
When people are finding gunk in their pickup tube/filter. How difficult is it getting to the pick-up tube? Did having the dealer do this in front of you help at all?
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #1068
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post
When people are finding gunk in their pickup tube/filter. How difficult is it getting to the pick-up tube? Did having the dealer do this in front of you help at all?
to get to the pick up tube, you drop the oil pan. if the engine is out of the car, it should take them like 5 min to drop the oil pan. And i would definitely recommend being there to take pictures when they take the tube out.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
Opie (08-30-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #1069
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
to get to the pick up tube, you drop the oil pan. if the engine is out of the car, it should take them like 5 min to drop the oil pan. And i would definitely recommend being there to take pictures when they take the tube out.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. They're having it towed from Orlando to Tampa (where the dealer is) tonight or tomorrow. No clue when they're actually going to pull everything but hopefully it's sometime when I can go there after work.

Stopping by after work today to figure out the rental situation. Had to grab one while I was in Orlando out of pocket. Assuming they'll be paying for this rental and giving me one just don't know how it's going to work since they don't even have the car in their possession yet. How did the loaner go for those that had the failure?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #1070
Buddhas

Drives: '13 Argento FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the info. They're having it towed from Orlando to Tampa (where the dealer is) tonight or tomorrow. No clue when they're actually going to pull everything but hopefully it's sometime when I can go there after work.

Stopping by after work today to figure out the rental situation. Had to grab one while I was in Orlando out of pocket. Assuming they'll be paying for this rental and giving me one just don't know how it's going to work since they don't even have the car in their possession yet. How did the loaner go for those that had the failure?
Is it going to Toyota of Tampa Bay? Just curious.
Buddhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #1071
Buddhas

Drives: '13 Argento FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone else been having this issue after recall? Been battling a P0102 code MAF sensor circuit too low issue ever since I did the recall. Car will hiccup and stutter at random times, I've replaced MAF, cleaned filter, checked wiring, checked for vacuum leaks and all seems to be good. Dealer said it was a bad MAF sensor so I replaced the MAF sensor and still stuttering. Car will also stall at idle sometimes with no warning and stutter when it wants to. Weird thing is that there are no other symptoms or signs, it'll drive and idle smooth at all other times. This car has been trouble free for me up until doing the recall, not sure what the source can be at this point.
Buddhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #1072
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhas View Post
Is it going to Toyota of Tampa Bay? Just curious.
Nope, I'm gonna hold off on naming since I'm under the impression they'll fix me right up

....Should it be going to there though? lol
Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #1073
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Anyone else been having this issue after recall? Been battling a P0102 code MAF sensor circuit too low issue ever since I did the recall. Car will hiccup and stutter at random times, I've replaced MAF, cleaned filter, checked wiring, checked for vacuum leaks and all seems to be good. Dealer said it was a bad MAF sensor so I replaced the MAF sensor and still stuttering. Car will also stall at idle sometimes with no warning and stutter when it wants to. Weird thing is that there are no other symptoms or signs, it'll drive and idle smooth at all other times. This car has been trouble free for me up until doing the recall, not sure what the source can be at this point.
Back-in-the-day, I would have suspected "bad gas".

Today, I'm no help -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #1074
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Car will hiccup and stutter at random times, I've replaced MAF, cleaned filter, checked wiring, checked for vacuum leaks and all seems to be good. Dealer said it was a bad MAF sensor so I replaced the MAF sensor and still stuttering. Car will also stall at idle sometimes with no warning and stutter when it wants to.
Wires at that connector are pretty fragile. While it's idling normally, try tugging each. Do it gently! Don't create a new problem where there was none.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #1075
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had this problem twice after routine oil + filter service (not recall) and it is caused by too much throttle body cleaner spray.
Their solution was to disconnect/reconnect the battery , but after a couple of days driving it cleared itself.
Also had the same thing happen with some of my other cars.
The "talented technicians" need to go easy with spray cans!

Last edited by alan.chalkley; 08-13-2019 at 03:58 AM.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #1076
Nilsd2

Drives: Toyota Gt86 Top Auto (White)
Garage
Looking for advice after Recall

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from people who have better knowledge of the Boxer Engines. After the recall, only 80km, my engine overheated and stalled on the highway. It included as most people mentioned the knocking sounds, loss of power and extreme temperatures.

Toyota Thailand now has the car for the past 2 weeks and have promised to fix everything and cover all expenses, but they are being so secretive about everything. It could be a language barrier issue or that they do not want to admit to their mistakes.

They have however mentioned that the water pipes to the engine were incorrectly installed, and that they have changed the Head Gasket. Now to me that sounds more serious then they are making it out to be, especially since all the other stories i have read.

They have promised me information, pictures and reports but i have yet to see anything. They also promised a 10,000 km 1 year warranty on the repairs.

I know this can be very damaging to the engine, and will not accept a warranty on just the valve springs, it needs to be an engine wide warranty.

My question: Is there anything else i should be careful about or check before accepting the car back from the dealer? Any advice would be very appreciated.

PS: We pay 300% tax on cars in Thailand, this is quite an expensive car here so i dont want to mess around.
Nilsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nilsd2 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #1077
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGOD View Post
Just got contacted by Transport Canada, please help build this case everyone by going here: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
As I have asked everybody else contacting TC. What do you think they will do for you?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #1078
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
As I have asked everybody else contacting TC. What do you think they will do for you?

Do you work for Toyota or something?
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue