follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
DavidL214

Drives: BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Scuffed the front bumper a little, touch up would be suffice?

As title says. I managed to scuff the front right side of the bumper >.>. A friend told me to get the whole bumper done, but is not that big of a deal(or at least I think so). Should I just touch it up or do the whole thing? I might also wrap it soon.

The color is metal grey.
Attached Images

DavidL214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just touch it up, or do nothing.

This kind of thing is going to happen so many times in the life of the car...

Most scrapes happen lower portion of bumper, under the bumper...it just happens.

Even parked, other cars hit or scrape your bumper, ride over it, etc.

It never seems to stop. Just the way it is with these cars.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
GrantedTaken

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You're right, it's not a big deal.
Life goes on.

If you want to experiment, look up touch up options.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
How much do you care about your car? It's a 2017 BRZ dude, if it was me I'd get it repainted. Is the car overall in good shape or is this just another blemish out of many? If it's generally in beat up condition on other panels then yeah you may want to sleep on it. I've had my BRZ for 5 years as of May 2018 and all panels are perfect (minus a replaced hood and bumper from hitting a deer) because I park a decent distance away everywhere I go and do what I can to leave a good space between me and anyone else. ::knock on wood::.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post

Most scrapes happen lower portion of bumper, under the bumper...it just happens.

Depends on where you live I guess. Out of 20 years of having 'cool' cars (Honda Prelude -> Integra GS-R -> S2000 -> BRZ) I've literally had 2 incidents happen while parked, one huge ding in my door and one person actually hit me and left no note. Yeah if you park up close everywhere you go you are bound to have a mini van or soccer mom SUV who they themselves or their kids can care less about how much you care for your car, or just hit it accidentally--or just some careless scumbag who kicks their door open. If you take precautions you can avoid a lot of stuff from happening while out.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 1,466 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post

I don't seem to have these problems when driving.

I avoid parking close to entrances to avoid dumbasses who park close to entrances and scuff their car and my own.

5 years later, biggest cosmetic problems are rock chips.

Sounds like someone needs to equip their car with ablative armor...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
How much do you care about your car? It's a 2017 BRZ dude, if it was me I'd get it repainted. Is the car overall in good shape or is this just another blemish out of many? If it's generally in beat up condition on other panels then yeah you may want to sleep on it. I've had my BRZ for 5 years as of May 2018 and all panels are perfect (minus a replaced hood and bumper from hitting a deer) because I park a decent distance away everywhere I go and do what I can to leave a good space between me and anyone else. ::knock on wood::.

Depends on where you live I guess. Out of 20 years of having 'cool' cars (Honda Prelude -> Integra GS-R -> S2000 -> BRZ) I've literally had 2 incidents happen while parked, one huge ding in my door and one person actually hit me and left no note. Yeah if you park up close everywhere you go you are bound to have a mini van or soccer mom SUV who they themselves or their kids can care less about how much you care for your car, or just hit it accidentally--or just some careless scumbag who kicks their door open. If you take precautions you can avoid a lot of stuff from happening while out.
I agree, Iíve only had one of my cars hit while parked. I was at a restaurant and the guy that backed his truck into my bumper actually came inside to find out whose car he hit and offer to pay for damages (which literally amounted to a hairline scratch on the rear bumper). Toysub lives in California though... Iíll just leave it at that
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Spuds (02-27-2018), Tristor (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 67,992 Times in 30,858 Posts
Mentioned: 1836 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
If mine I would actually have that fixed properly. If down at the bottom no big deal and anybody that lays on the ground to see the scrapes down there is at risk anyway. Up there it is in your face and really does detract from the appearance of the car. Touch up paint just isn't going to cut it there on that size a scrape. The only DIY option would be to sand it all down smooth and spray that area with colour match spray paint. Be better than leaving it but not as good as a proper repair.
Brink (02-27-2018), Spuds (02-27-2018), Summerwolf (02-28-2018), Tristor (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
How anal are you?
Do you live somewhere that cosmetic markings are commonplace?
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If mine I would actually have that fixed properly. If down at the bottom no big deal and anybody that lays on the ground to see the scrapes down there is at risk anyway. Up there it is in your face and really does detract from the appearance of the car. Touch up paint just isn't going to cut it there on that size a scrape. The only DIY option would be to sand it all down smooth and spray that area with colour match spray paint. Be better than leaving it but not as good as a proper repair.
Said it perfectly. This isn't some scrape on the underside of the bumper like we're usually dealing with here, where it will maybe bother you just knowing it's there but nobody will ever see it unless they put their face on the ground in front of the car or the car is up in the air. This is in your face, everyone will see it all the time, and it detracts from the overall appearance and perceived condition (and value) of the car. Get it fixed properly now while the paint is still relatively new and probably will be easier to match than if you decide to do it years down the road.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
DavidL214

Drives: BRZ 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Bought the car 2 days ago with 5 miles on it. I realized today that although is not that noticeable is bothering me... a lot. So I will re-paint it.

Quote:
I am really loving this car. Decided to get it properly fixed.
DavidL214 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidL214 For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (02-28-2018), Tcoat (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Kabong

Drives: 1999 Accord v6; 2017 CWP BRZ Ltd
Sorry to hear you got that with 5 mi on it. Judging by the placement, it looks like you can hide it with a license plate relocator kit. You can "tilt" the plate and it will sit in front of the blemish.

Just my $.02
Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,016 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Did your car get its promised paint job?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
ls1ac

Drives: brz/Inovate, Noble M400,AC/LS7
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
There is no small brush or rattle can that will look good. If the scratches are through the color paint (as it looks) full paint or wrap will be the answer. If it can be gently "buffed" out there is now a two part rattle can clear coat that will bring back the shine.
Consider banking the cost toward the wrap.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 67,992 Times in 30,858 Posts
Mentioned: 1836 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Did your car get its promised paint job?
This spring. I decided there was little point in having it done until I didn't have to do the twice a week, 2 hour each way, commute that did all the damage in the first place. Finally got a guy into that site so have stopped racking up all those highway hazard miles. This way it should look nicer longer. Also means that my grandson can cut grass for another season so I don't feel so much like I am taking advantage of the dude.
JD001 (03-01-2018)