follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
gensch

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At what point do you need end links? *Coilover bang--again*

So I've been lurking around the boards for a while, trying to absorb everything I can, but it seems the best way to get help is to just come out with a question directly, and hope for a response.

I've been running Tein Monosports for the past year, and while I love the tautness of the chassis, I just can't get away from the all pervasive clunk. Seems like this is quite a common problem, and while my car does exhibit some of the same noises I've heard in clips in other posts, mine seems to have another, more extreme sound. On uneven roads, I get the usual rattle and what some call clunking (video credit to white86's earlier post):

Quote:
However, if I manage to find a pothole, or a mini speed bump (which seem to be everywhere in Raleigh), I get a bang that would wake the dead. Honestly, its as if someone took a 12 pound deadblow mallet, reared back and slammed into the strut mount. It's violent.

Now, I've done the usual troubleshooting, used vernier calipers to confirm proper preload; disassembled the struts and collars, cleaned, and lubricated them; greased the pillowball bearing; confirmed torque at all locations, according to factory and tein supplied specs. Yet I consistently get these banging sounds, at any speed 20 mph+ from my passenger front suspension.

Now, I've heard a lot of folks talk about replacing pillow ball mounts, but others advocate for adjustable end links. I understand the real advantage of end links are to allow for corner balancing of the vehicle, but could a certain level of drop necessitate them to prevent binding? Here's a picture of my current setup, front right jacked up, front left on the ground:

Is that angle normal for an endlink mount? Could the ball and cup arrangement meet such a point where the travel is insufficient, and the result is my banging noise?

I'm at roughly 1.3 inches of drop. Doesn't sound like a necessity to folks at similar heights, but maybe the end link mounting location on the strut is different. Anyhow, I'm open to an any and all suggestions or advice.
gensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
That angle looks pretty steep on the end link. It is probably binding and causing the clunk. Adjustable endings would fix this. OR its the swaybar/sway bar endlinks clunking because of preload. Is it the front or rear making the noise? Did you set the car on the ground/ramps/blocks before tightening your suspension? If you jacked up one side then the sway bar would be under tension when tightened and would do this. I had a clunking in the rear on mine, fixed it with adjustable endlinks and no sway bar preload
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
gensch

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You know, looking back, I can't remember whether I jacked the car up from the subframe, or individually at the pinch welds. I think I might have done one corner at a time. The sound is definitely coming from the front right. Everything else is silent. When I get back home, I'll have to take a look (visiting friends out of state). Would I just jack the front end up, disconnect the end links, put the car on the ground, then reconnect the end links and torque to spec? Either way, I think I'll end up grabbing some adjustable links, for the sake of corner balancing in the future.
gensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Yeah. You can set the wheels on blocks or ramps or anything level really. If that doesn't fix it definitely try adjustable endlinks unless someone has a nother idea
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Since I'm on springs, and not coil-overs I cut my end-links by the exact amount my springs lowered my car, then I fitted a sleeve and had them welded together. Total cost $20 and no binding issues. If you plan on changing your ride height often, this isn't an option, but if you plan on going static, this becomes an option.
Attached Images

Hyper4mance2k is offline   Reply With Quote