follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
You guys have a torque wrench that will fit on an O2 sensor??
There is an O2 sensor socket that has a cut in it to get it over the wires and then has a spot for the torque wrench to connect that will allow you to torque it, but you have to make adjustments to the values due to the fact it isn't a normal socket and the wrench attachment point is offset. Here is a pic:

With that being said, I really wouldn't torque down an O2 sensor. Apply anti-seize and use gutentite.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
Pitman
Living the dream

Drives: Fensport AVO Turbo GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Removing the front bumper will be my last resort
Are you referring to removing the plastic bumper, or the metal crash beam (that the intercooler mounts to)? If it is the former, I do not see how you will be able to get the intercooler on, and feed through the pipes etc. with the plastic bumper still on. Removing it is not a big deal, as long as you are careful you can get it off and back on again without any problems. I must have had mine on and off half a dozen times or more, without any issues.
Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #17
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
Are you referring to removing the plastic bumper, or the metal crash beam (that the intercooler mounts to)? If it is the former, I do not see how you will be able to get the intercooler on, and feed through the pipes etc. with the plastic bumper still on. Removing it is not a big deal, as long as you are careful you can get it off and back on again without any problems. I must have had mine on and off half a dozen times or more, without any issues.
Yeah was referring to the plastic bumper. That's my biggest concern as I've seen others who have removed their front bumper before and ended up with unsightly gaps between the fender and bumper (near the side signal area).
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah was referring to the plastic bumper. That's my biggest concern as I've seen others who have removed their front bumper before and ended up with unsightly gaps between the fender and bumper (near the side signal area).
The kit is Impossible to install with the front bumper in place. If you do some searching there's a few other members who have some possible solutions. It's a problem I'll be facing soon and I'll make sure to touch base and let you know how it goes...

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
The kit is Impossible to install with the front bumper in place. If you do some searching there's a few other members who have some possible solutions. It's a problem I'll be facing soon and I'll make sure to touch base and let you know how it goes...
Thanks. I've removed the under tray and had a good look around trying to find (im)possible solutions. Basically we're removing the bumper because the crash bar needs to come off to fit the fmic. But from what I could tell, there appears to be just enough space from below to fit the rivnuts in using the nuts, washers and bolt technique. Once the rivnut fittings are in place you just need to bolt the intercooler on. There's also sufficient space to route the fmic pipes behind the foglamp covers into engine bay. Might need small hands though

The other reason for removing the bumper is to gain access to the water tank so that you can remove it temporarily. Again, from my observation, you can get plenty of access to that area by removing the wheel well splash guards. Then squeeze a socket in there to undo the top bolt holding the water tank, lift it out slightly, and enlarge the resting hole with a dremel or suitable tool.

Don't flame me, but I think it's worth giving it a shot...
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I've removed the under tray and had a good look around trying to find (im)possible solutions. Basically we're removing the bumper because the crash bar needs to come off to fit the fmic. But from what I could tell, there appears to be just enough space from below to fit the rivnuts in using the nuts, washers and bolt technique. Once the rivnut fittings are in place you just need to bolt the intercooler on. There's also sufficient space to route the fmic pipes behind the foglamp covers into engine bay. Might need small hands though

The other reason for removing the bumper is to gain access to the water tank so that you can remove it temporarily. Again, from my observation, you can get plenty of access to that area by removing the wheel well splash guards. Then squeeze a socket in there to undo the top bolt holding the water tank, lift it out slightly, and enlarge the resting hole with a dremel or suitable tool.

Don't flame me, but I think it's worth giving it a shot...
No worries pal! It's a free internet and you're welcome to do what ever you like!

Honestly you're going to have you hands full with all of the other details of this kit. Don't underestimate it.

I'm doing both the turbo and and oil cooler so it's makes far more sense for me to remove the bumper. After this install has simmered the body shop will end up removing the bumper to fix something and then after they are done I'm going to be removing it again to mess around with my OEM HIDS....

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote