follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Current thinking on oil baffles/pickups?

I'll be installing a new oil pan in a couple weeks, and would like to get any other recommended supporting mods out of the way while I have the oil pan off. I am finding conflicting information as to whether an oil baffle is recommended. Post #19 in this thread suggests it isn't needed, while comments here and post #5 here say it is.

Furthermore, I learned about the Killer B oil pickup but there is even less information on this. Can anyone weigh in on whether this provides any real benefit?

I'm trying to keep this simple so I'm not looking at Accusump/dry sump.

Thanks in advance.
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134863

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Remember there are at least two main reasons for oil starvation at the bearing level. The most obvious is lack of oil at the pickup, not very comin with these engines. The next is a restriction in the oil delivery system, a galley to small to get the oil to the bearing. A less common one is using the wrong weight oil for the system as operated. Too thin and will escape and not hold pressure, too thick and will not make it to the bearings in sufficient quantity.

How worried are you? Have you seen a drop in pressure? The fixes you mentioned will take care of that.
Have you rebuilt the engine to some different tolerances?
Finally what kind of driving are you using the car for?
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Westen86
Purist

Garage
Ive read all your quoted posts. The biggest word that sticks out to me is RACECAR.
If your car only does daily duty I would recommend the Killer Bee Oil Pickup. You have the pan off, its a good simple upgrade. It comes with a new Gasket.

If you are going to be hard on it or track/autox it frequently an Oil Baffle sounds like a good Idea. Blue Moon and Moroso look like fine candidates.

Depending on how deep your pocket is you can also look into a Reimax Oil Pump. That is if you track the car.
Hope that helps. This is all opinion, but Ive been doing a lot of the reading you have on Oil Issues. Mine has 50,000+ miles and Ill be going down the same route.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)

Last edited by Westen86; 06-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
This is super helpful, thank you. The only thing I am wondering is why the OEM pickup wasn't designed this way from the beginning. It seems like it would be more work to make a bend in the tube rather than to have it straight. Is there any reason for the bend? Also, is there any possibility of the increased diameter causing issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
How worried are you? Have you seen a drop in pressure?
No, I haven't seen anything that worries me, I just want to do as much as reasonably necessary while I have the oil pan off for convenience and peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Have you rebuilt the engine to some different tolerances?
No, engine is completely stock at the moment. Eventually will upgrade the rods and whatever else is recommended for more power if I decide to go that route.

Quote:
Finally what kind of driving are you using the car for?
I will be tracking the car.
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I run the Bluemoon Baffle since i track it occasionally. Better safe than sorry
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Westen86
Purist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Russels View Post
This is super helpful, thank you. The only thing I am wondering is why the OEM pickup wasn't designed this way from the beginning. It seems like it would be more work to make a bend in the tube rather than to have it straight. Is there any reason for the bend? Also, is there any possibility of the increased diameter causing issues?
Im not sure about the original design. But a bigger and straight tube would make the flow slower and at a lower pressure. Less vacuum means less cavitation.