follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #16353
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Bonesaw View Post
Put on some go fast sickers good for at least +5hp
I took these off my car on the same day lol. I've been able to notice the power loss since
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #16354
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFIFE22 View Post
I took these off my car on the same day lol. I've been able to notice the power loss since
No joke, I didn't like them so much, I actually did this. They showed up in the mail, I put them on, went to a car meet, and took them off at the car meet. I hated them. I really like the depth and dimension the Subaru emblem has, and the flatness of the vinyl sticker just struck me as off.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #16355
xenarc

Drives: 2017 SUBARU BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@FunntGopher, I know what you mean. Nothing like OEM
xenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #16356
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My new #gofast mods to clean up the cabin area a bit:
  • Gentex frameless auto dimming mirror with Homelink to eliminate the garage door opener on the visor.
  • iOttie phone mount with power cable routed behind dash to clear up center console.
  • "Retractable" second USB cable in center console for passengers.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #16357
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
[*]"Retractable" second USB cable in center console for passengers.[/LIST]
I like that second USB Lightning cable! Does it connect to the radio too or is just for charging?

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #16358
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I like that second USB Lightning cable! Does it connect to the radio too or is just for charging?

Myriad
It's just for passengers to plug in their phones for charging. It's connected to an Anker power adapter using that second hidden power point behind the glove box (along with the one running to my phone mount) so that both of them can Quick Charge our phones.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #16359
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thoughts on the mirror? Did you opt for the compass?

Quote:
  • Gentex frameless auto dimming mirror with Homelink to eliminate the garage door opener on the visor.
  • iOttie phone mount with power cable routed behind dash to clear up center console.
  • "Retractable" second USB cable in center console for passengers.

norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #16360
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Finally installed my @GrimmSpeed hood struts today. Got them a few days ago but I had to wait for the rain to pass so I could put them on.
Attached Images

Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #16361
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Thoughts on the mirror? Did you opt for the compass?
I did not opt for the compass because it was an additional $100, and I have navigation, and a phone... and actually prefer the cleaner look of the non-compass model without the cut-out for the compass reading.

Initial thoughts after a week of use:

- Yes, it's $250, which isn't cheap for a mirror. Most people might laugh at spending money to replace my mirror... and I have a Series.Blue, so my old mirror was already a frameless mirror.
- I've never had an auto-dimming mirror before, and I already never want to be without one ever again. It's absolutely fantastic at night. In fact, it already has me wishing my side mirrors were also auto-dimming. I haven't had a chance to test it TOO much yet, but it does seem to dim to different degrees depending on how close/bright the car behind you is, and it seems to ALWAYS get the level perfect. It takes just a second or two to fade from full clear, to full dim, and maybe 5-7 seconds to fade from full-dim back to full-clear.
- Homelink feature is great. Has decent range, and I didn't even realize until after I bought it that it had hidden status lights and icons that illuminate from behind the mirror to convey information on transmitter status, garage door status, etc... (You can see the main Homelink icon in my photo). The buttons themselves are beefy and rubbery, and the icons on them are illuminated (as is the power button for the dimming feature).
- Gentex makes a large percentage of OEM mirrors, which is why this mirror costs so much, as it is basically an OEM part. The upside to that is FANTASTIC build quality. This doesn't feel aftermarket at ALL. It's hefty, well built, and feels like something right out of a Cadillac. Simple things, like the illuminated power button glowing more dimly at night so as not to be obnoxious, or how the homelink indicator fades out smoothly, scream attention to detail. It's such a stupid thing to spew "attention to detail" about a rear view mirror, but to people who are OCD like me, it matters... especially when you spent $250.

Basically, I love this thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #16362
Tonezorz

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
- Gentex makes a large percentage of OEM mirrors, which is why this mirror costs so much, as it is basically an OEM part.
It looks to be identical to the stock mirror in my 2017 Limited. I would say you don't need to call it aftermarket.
Tonezorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #16363
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonezorz View Post
It looks to be identical to the stock mirror in my 2017 Limited. I would say you don't need to call it aftermarket.
You're right. It seems the mirror in the BRZ Limited is a Gentex unit, albeit not a frameless one. What I find odd is that Subaru's "fancy" frameless mirror is still a dumb, cheap manual tilt one with no power anything, even for 2017. Why they don't just upgrade you to the frameless Gentex one like the one I installed is beyond me. Their fancy mirror kinda-sorta looks cool, but is objectively worse, lol.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #16364
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You're right. It seems the mirror in the BRZ Limited is a Gentex unit, albeit not a frameless one. What I find odd is that Subaru's "fancy" frameless mirror is still a dumb, cheap manual tilt one with no power anything, even for 2017. Why they don't just upgrade you to the frameless Gentex one like the one I installed is beyond me. Their fancy mirror kinda-sorta looks cool, but is objectively worse, lol.
I think what they are saying is, your mirror is the *exact* same one as in the 2017's, less the compass. It too looks identical to my 2017 Limited, so if you'd call yours frameless then the 2017 Limited is also frameless.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #16365
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
I think what they are saying is, your mirror is the *exact* same one as in the 2017's, less the compass. It too looks identical to my 2017 Limited, so if you'd call yours frameless then the 2017 Limited is also frameless.
I just took a look at my photo, and realized it isn't the greatest becsuse of the lighting. The first photo is the model I have. The second photo is what comes in the 2017 Limited, if I am not mistaken. They appear to be identical with the exception of the compass, and the Subaru model having a black frame, as opposed to an all glass frameless design. Or does Subaru offer a truly frameless dimming mirror finally?

(FYI, the "frame" you see in the photo of mine is the non-dimming portion of the mirror. In reality, it's almost invisible apart from a noticeable line where the two sections meet. The outer glass is one piece, though.)

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 01-10-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #16366
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
All you guys saying stock mirror on the 2017 Limited.. You do mean homelink auto-dimming right?

Because the rear view mirror on my 2017 Limited is the super basic one one with a tab on the bottom.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere