follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #99
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Ideally I too would like the light up the top but as a simple compromise,can anyone see a problem with taking the LED-array
and its diffuser out of the housing and just putting it at the base?
I tried just laying it to one side of the housing and it is under half the height and 3inches/75mm closer to the glass making the view
out the back much better. It can actually be pushed in the crack for a simple friction fit.
Possibly a section could be cut out of the shelf to lower it more.
I tucked a bit of black felt under and up over the back and over the top and meeting the glass to stop reflection in the glass
and it will not rub or rattle. It looks neat and would match black felt covering the holes left in the shelf.

The wiring was not long enough for me to try driving around in that temporary position but it would reach if centred.

Any comments before I detach the three-legged monster?
Further thoughts ..... I will not know until I get the shelf out, but it may be possible to make only two slits in the shelf and push the bit between down to make a cavity for the array and make it flush with the shelf and simply lay one bit of felt over the shelf and light. Also, a magnet may be able to be attached below the array and use it to clamp to the metal. Then it would be easy to get it out for window cleaning. I'm getting excited.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #100
notout86

I have just removed my shelf with the help of the posts in this thread and here are my notes which complement.

See the links which have photos. ALSO scroll down for info re a "hook" on the underside of the shelf, directly below the "space ship" that hooks under the metal.
It is NOT necessary to remove trim panels.

For future use I have made slits in the edge of the shelf DIRECTLY opposite the clips. They are virtually invisible and will normally be concealed behind the rear seat rests. These are for insertion of a clip-release tool ,but note the clips will tend to pop back so slip something in under the edge to keep it raised. I found slipping my slender hand under the shelf difficult.

Put a newspaper against the glass to protect the heater wires.
Remove the 4 black clips along the edge of the shelf.
There are 4 white clips in a line, about 50mm in from the rear edge and about 40cm apart.The tips of the clips are visible from up in the boot.

Go along the edge of the shelf and gently bend it up. . Lift the RH end and push you hand in to locate the clip about 30mm in from the end. Using the panel clip remover, slide it up and under the panel from the front and feel around until the tool gets ahold of the clip. Pop out the clips, but note that they are going to want to snap back into the hole due to the pressure of the panel being stretched into place so stuff something in to hold it up .
When all 4 clips are popped, pull the centre forward enough to release the hook in the metal below the space ship. At each end of the shelf there is a tab with a hole in it. The tab goes along underneath the plastic trim and the hole locates UP to a protrusion in the trim. While pushing down on the extreme end of the shelf to release at the hole, pull the end of the shelf forward.Do the other end and remove the shelf.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225 and http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61533
and
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10002 <<-- This has useful pics but includes
removing trim which is not necessary.
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #101
notout86

Quote:
Further thoughts ..... I will not know until I get the shelf out, but it may be possible to make only two slits in the shelf and push the bit between down to make a cavity for the array and make it flush with the shelf and simply lay one bit of felt over the shelf and light. Also, a magnet may be able to be attached below the array and use it to clamp to the metal. Then it would be easy to get it out for window cleaning. I'm getting excited.
Job finished. I extended the wiring and test drove with the array lying on the shelf. No problems so I removed the shelf and space ship. Ignore the slit in the shelf idea above .. it achieves nothing. It would be possible to hack into the shelf and make a recess and I may do that. At present it is only held by being pressed into the shelf/glass crack and black fabric to the glass. Although there are no rattles and it seems secure I will add a magnet... it is so easy to get out.

If black felt is draped over it, forming a gentle curve across the back of the shelf you would hardly notice it in the rear-view mirror.

COST: zero, nil, zilch. Effectiveness: 5 stars. Appearance: unobtrusive. Weight saving: 150grammes . Ease of future maintenance improvement: 50%. Environmental impact: zero

p.s. Yesterday I noticed that if the sun was such that the space ship was reflecting in the glass the height is actually TRIPLE that of the light alone.

Last edited by notout86; 05-23-2015 at 08:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to notout86 For This Useful Post:
codesplice (05-26-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 03:24 AM   #102
notout86

Quote:
Job finished. I extended the wiring and test drove with the array lying on the shelf. No problems so I removed the shelf and space ship. Ignore the slit in the shelf idea above .. it achieves nothing. It would be possible to hack into the shelf and make a recess and I may do that. At present it is only held by being pressed into the shelf/glass crack and black fabric to the glass. Although there are no rattles and it seems secure I will add a magnet... it is so easy to get out.

If black felt is draped over it, forming a gentle curve across the back of the shelf you would hardly notice it in the rear-view mirror.

COST: zero, nil, zilch. Effectiveness: 5 stars. Appearance: unobtrusive. Weight saving: 150grammes . Ease of future maintenance improvement: 50%. Environmental impact: zero

p.s. Yesterday I noticed that if the sun was such that the space ship was reflecting in the glass the height is actually TRIPLE that of the light alone.
Went for a 150km spin over poorly made road at 100kmph. It stayed in place so I do not expect to use the magnet idea.

PICS http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/foru...121_page3.html

Last edited by notout86; 06-10-2015 at 08:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to notout86 For This Useful Post:
codesplice (05-29-2015)
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #103
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Here is the start of my 3rd brake light relocation. I have to figure out some parts of the frame, but I am excited for the final product
Attached Images

MatchstickMan (03-09-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #104
PresiO.

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
Here is the start of my 3rd brake light relocation. I have to figure out some parts of the frame, but I am excited for the final product
What light led strip did you go with? have been wanting to do this for awhile now.
PresiO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #105
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresiO. View Post
What light led strip did you go with? have been wanting to do this for awhile now.
It is a '98 Cadillac STS brake light
PresiO. (02-26-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #106
MatchstickMan

Drives: 2015 Dark Gray Metallic BRZ
Quote:
Holy crap dude, this is almost exactly what I am wanting to do with mine. You don't happen to have pictures and measurements of the housing you built, do you?
MatchstickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MatchstickMan For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #107
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchstickMan View Post
Holy crap dude, this is almost exactly what I am wanting to do with mine. You don't happen to have pictures and measurements of the housing you built, do you?
It isn't finished yet, but i can send you what i have
MatchstickMan (03-14-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #108
PresiO.

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Garage
Quote:
Could you send me what you have also?
PresiO. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PresiO. For This Useful Post:
kevroq (02-20-2017), MemphisR (03-16-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #109
MatchstickMan

Drives: 2015 Dark Gray Metallic BRZ
Quote:
That would be awesome! There are a few '98 STS's in my area. Was going to pick up a few of the lights this weekend, weather didn't cooperate...
MatchstickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MatchstickMan For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (03-16-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #110
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchstickMan View Post
MatchstickMan PresiO.

Sorry for such a tardy reply . I have uploaded a photo with measurements and one with out. All you should have to do is some math, or print it out to scale.

Hope this helps,
MemphisR

P.S. I added one of what my current light looks like. If you want to follow along and see it when it is finished first, then you can check out my instagram: andrew.jb
Attached Images

Mazikowski (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #111
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
[URL="http://www.ft86club.com/forums/member.php?u=97702"]
Sorry for such a tardy reply . I have uploaded a photo with measurements and one with out. All you should have to do is some math, or print it out to scale.

Hope this helps,
MemphisR

P.S. I added one of what my current light looks like. If you want to follow along and see it when it is finished first, then you can check out my instagram: andrew.jb
How's the light bleed?
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #112
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazikowski View Post
How's the light bleed?
Not sure yet. I still have a few small things to finish before I install it.