follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How does the triple pass effect pressure required? I recall reading that double pass radiators take 16x the pressure to flow the same volume of coolant, resulting in reduced flow. A triple pass was reported to take 64x the pressure.

Is that the case with these or is that a non-issue?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
where is the petition to bring diss7 back
Unfortunately they don't work.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
How does the triple pass effect pressure required? I recall reading that double pass radiators take 16x the pressure to flow the same volume of coolant, resulting in reduced flow. A triple pass was reported to take 64x the pressure.

Is that the case with these or is that a non-issue?
Like most things on the internet, there are always fore and against arguments; especially when it comes to automotive topics.

Throw into the mix "keyboard/forum mechanics" and vendors that will provide biased feedback based on what they sell, and its tricky to know who to believe.

What we're trying to offer is a brand where our customers can trust our products and R&D.

If those figures you quoted are true, then I should buy my tig welder a beer!

Think of it this way. Our radiator is more than 3 times thicker than the OEM unit. As it enters the radiator, in it's first pass it is only able to use the top third of the radiator (being a triple pass) but seeing as the thickness is more than three times greater, there is no restriction causing an increase in pressure. There is two 180 degree turns added to the system, where the coolant takes its 2nd and 3rd dive through the system, but these areas are designed with this in mind. The coolant in many ways is going through 3 OEM sized radiators.

We're about figures, data, results. If something works great, if it doesn't it doesnt. Too often (especially on forums) people get caught up in the theory.

However, thank you for asking the question.

I don't wish to make a habit of having to answer every nitty gritty question, that we may have at one point asked ourselves, and then spent time and money to answer; only to give the information away freely to publicly (which then enables our competitors) I have made an exception here as I have seen you ask that question elsewhere and not receive an answer.

Related to this, I will also report that when we first started trialing triple pass, we also tried different water pump pulley sizes; despite having already performed testing on this. What we found was that when using a single pass radiator, we were able to underdrive the water pump to quite a significant degree before there was any measureable difference in our logs. With the triple pass we found that while we could still under drive the pump, it was certainly not to the same degree as before. Because of this, we decided that although we could still underdrive it, the decision was made that if someone had the triple pass radiator, then they probably had so much power that they didn't need to resort to underdriving the waterpump for the sake of a few hp.

This will mean that our underdriven pulley kit will only underdrive the alternator. Unless we decide to offer 2 different types of underdrive pulley kit. As on an NA build, the gains from underdriving are significant, especially when you consider the law of diminishing returns; which any serious NA project will know about..
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
s2d4 (06-27-2014), xjohnx (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
Like most things on the internet, there are always fore and against arguments; especially when it comes to automotive topics.

Throw into the mix "keyboard/forum mechanics" and vendors that will provide biased feedback based on what they sell, and its tricky to know who to believe.

What we're trying to offer is a brand where our customers can trust our products and R&D.

If those figures you quoted are true, then I should buy my tig welder a beer!

Think of it this way. Our radiator is more than 3 times thicker than the OEM unit. As it enters the radiator, in it's first pass it is only able to use the top third of the radiator (being a triple pass) but seeing as the thickness is more than three times greater, there is no restriction causing an increase in pressure. There is two 180 degree turns added to the system, where the coolant takes its 2nd and 3rd dive through the system, but these areas are designed with this in mind. The coolant in many ways is going through 3 OEM sized radiators.

We're about figures, data, results. If something works great, if it doesn't it doesnt. Too often (especially on forums) people get caught up in the theory.

However, thank you for asking the question.

I don't wish to make a habit of having to answer every nitty gritty question, that we may have at one point asked ourselves, and then spent time and money to answer; only to give the information away freely to publicly (which then enables our competitors) I have made an exception here as I have seen you ask that question elsewhere and not receive an answer.

Related to this, I will also report that when we first started trialing triple pass, we also tried different water pump pulley sizes; despite having already performed testing on this. What we found was that when using a single pass radiator, we were able to underdrive the water pump to quite a significant degree before there was any measureable difference in our logs. With the triple pass we found that while we could still under drive the pump, it was certainly not to the same degree as before. Because of this, we decided that although we could still underdrive it, the decision was made that if someone had the triple pass radiator, then they probably had so much power that they didn't need to resort to underdriving the waterpump for the sake of a few hp.

This will mean that our underdriven pulley kit will only underdrive the alternator. Unless we decide to offer 2 different types of underdrive pulley kit. As on an NA build, the gains from underdriving are significant, especially when you consider the law of diminishing returns; which any serious NA project will know about..
thanks for the detailed response. Another vendor posted a double pass radiator and ignored the question multiple times. Made me wonder whether they didn't know the answer or just hadn't considered the possibility of it being an issue.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

The purpose of this post/annoucement is to seek a 3rd party tester for our new radiator...
  • Ideally, this person will be currently experiencing heat issues
  • Be operating a car in excess of 400whp
  • Be an experienced track user Check
  • Live in a particularly hot/humid climate Check
  • Be techinically and mechanically minded Check
  • Has acted as a 3rd party tester prior Check

Damn. 4 outta 6
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Damn. 4 outta 6
Well, to be fair, the only car I've see at the track with more than 400whp... is @Element Tuning. We can count @Evasive Motorsports if a handful of events a year counts as well.

Both have suffered heat issues... hell, we struggle with heat issue on customer cars with less than 300whp.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #21
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Well, to be fair, the only car I've see at the track with more than 400whp... is @Element Tuning. We can count @Evasive Motorsports if a handful of events a year counts as well.

Both have suffered heat issues... hell, we struggle with heat issue on customer cars with less than 300whp.

200whp here but I'd only want at most 100whp additional to be completely satisfied and start focusing on weight loss and extra aero
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Damn. 4 outta 6

hmm...and I live right near you and have over 400whp but Atlanta is too expensive a track for me.
I wonder if we can all work something out as im starting to have heat issues.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
hmm...and I live right near you and have over 400whp but Atlanta is too expensive a track for me.
I wonder if we can all work something out as im starting to have heat issues.
Which track are you referring to? There are upcoming track days at Atlanta Motorsports park for $300 and Road Atlanta for $375. Roebling is even cheaper at $275: http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooke...-States-Region

A PCA or Chin event at Road Atlanta will get you a full weekend's worth of track time for under $500... I don't consider that too expensive considering the amount of time you get on track with fully staffed corner stations, fire and medical support, amenities...etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I thought road atlanta was 500 $ a day if you wernt a member. I'm looking into hooked on driving now.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #25
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There's a local shop working on their twin and should be pushing north of 400rwhp. One thing I can tell you is the shop is well known in the subaru area and is currently building my kit for me as we speak. They have a dedicated sti race car that is driven by a professional racer in time attack events.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I thought road atlanta was 500 $ a day if you wernt a member. I'm looking into hooked on driving now.
There is no membership structure around Road Atlanta. You're confusing it with Atlanta Motorsports Park.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #27
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thanks for the interest in being our tester. We have found someone. Cheers.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #28
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the interest in being our tester. We have found someone. Cheers.
Any updates?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote