follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #3151
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
how did it go @Jyn ?
Got the sub hooked up and working - it sounds great. Got some wires that idk what to do with (lol) and gotta get the door speakers working again, then put all the panels back in and should be done. Figure about 3 hours tomorrow after work.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #3152
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I pulled the trigger on a OEM Audio Reference today. $850 shipped was right at what I was willing to spend for it.
anyways, if anyone here has experience installing one of these on a BRZ then maybe I could throw some cash your way instead of paying a local audio shop. It'll probably be after 4th of July until I'm ready since I gotta send the amplifier to the company to have the bass preference changed from robust to full.
This also means that I'll be putting my current 8" sub up for sale. If anyone local is looking so add clean bass to their audio for cheap hit me up. We can meet up so you can have a listen to it before I disconnect it.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #3153
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poman View Post
Hey guys I'm here
You made it on the forums Po???
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #3154
poman

Drives: sexy 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey Matt I don't know how to used this forum that well. Try to up lord the photo but I don't know how
poman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #3155
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poman View Post
Hey Matt I don't know how to used this forum that well. Try to up lord the photo but I don't know how
I would recommend uploading it to a third party site (imgur, photobucket, not sure if image shack still exists) and then getting the link from there. then click the image with the mountain and paste the link in there.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #3156
Jyn
Noob

Preliminary research indicates the guy that sold me the OEM+ system had a 400+ then upgraded to the Reference. Called OEM+ and Daniel was A++ customer service, operating after-hours. Shot me over the instructions to wire up the extra harness to upgrade the 400+ to the Reference (since it becomes a 2 way system instead of 3), so should be able to have it running after work today.

Last edited by Jyn; 06-27-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Updated with feedback from OEM+
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #3157
alltrac

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post
Definitely keep us, or at least me, informed on the sound deadening. In other places I have lived the brz would be just fine but Texas loves really loud tar plus crushed gravel roads (horrible for rock chips as well.. Burnett was a like driving through a gravel pit the other day). Its certainly on my list.. Especially let us know if you find a good place for buying the stuff.
I agree, although the sharp ring of concrete that's used everywhere in the North (I lived in WI and CO previously) gets old, too.

I'll be doing the project in July, probably over two weekends. The trunk for practice, then the interior the following weekend. I can pull the car behind the house and stretch it over two days and take my time.

For the MLV, looks like $180 with shipping for 100 sq ft of 1lb/sq ft is the best deal I've seen. I'm checking with the facilities guy at work to see if we have some kind of catalog where it's cheaper. Barring that, I might hit up some contractors who would be open to selling it. Given the number of musicians doing at-home soundproofing I would have thought it would be easier to find here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post
rabble rabble rock chips rabble rabble gravel pit rabble rabble
I got a quote a clear bra elsewhere, but I've been making my way through the thread and your info on Xpel has convinced me to check them out for a quote. In my last car I ended up behind a dump truck on 183 that chipped a bunch of paint and broke my fog lights (!!).
alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #3158
Chazbo

Drives: 2020 Blue One
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
I pulled the trigger on a OEM Audio Reference today. $850 shipped was right at what I was willing to spend for it.
anyways, if anyone here has experience installing one of these on a BRZ then maybe I could throw some cash your way instead of paying a local audio shop. It'll probably be after 4th of July until I'm ready since I gotta send the amplifier to the company to have the bass preference changed from robust to full.
This also means that I'll be putting my current 8" sub up for sale. If anyone local is looking so add clean bass to their audio for cheap hit me up. We can meet up so you can have a listen to it before I disconnect it.
Do you mind my asking where you got the unit for that cheap? I am pretty sure I am going to buy one myself very soon. I really want to hear it compared to my stock system. It seems like sound deadening is a must with this install.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #3159
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Do you mind my asking where you got the unit for that cheap? I am pretty sure I am going to buy one myself very soon. I really want to hear it compared to my stock system. It seems like sound deadening is a must with this install.
Member's Classifieds section. There have been 3 sold recently for below $1,000. The one I pulled the trigger on started at $1,100. After a few days he dropped to $1,000. Then a few days later he dropped to $900. I offered $850 shipped and he took it. I think if I would've waited any longer someone else definitely would've grabbed it. For a $1,500 system, I think anything below $900 shipped is fantastic.
Just keep your eyes open in the Member's Classifieds - Electronics

This is the one that's being shipped to me: OEM Audio Reference
Old 06-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #3160
Jyn
Noob

Got my OEM+ installed and working.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #3161
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Got my OEM+ installed and working.

Soooooo....what are your thoughts about it so far??
Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #3162
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac View Post
....I got a quote a clear bra elsewhere, but I've been making my way through the thread and your info on Xpel has convinced me to check them out for a quote. In my last car I ended up behind a dump truck on 183 that chipped a bunch of paint and broke my fog lights (!!).
Xpel is worth it on the 86 twins...do it if your front end is still cherry. Last Twisted Sisters Run latered a foglight ( @Jyn pointed it out to me at the Nueces pit stop!) and after detailing car the other day, noticed numerous additional rock chips prompting me to break out the touch-up paint for the second time.

Dump trucks are the worst! I've got a small roof dent from an airborne projectile from a dump truck on FM 78. #$@%# Too many battle scars on the BRZ front end to be classified as a garage queen for sure! But, all fixed up, washed, waxed, new window tint, new oil....she's ready for more urban assault action to be rode hard and put away wet!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #3163
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Soooooo....what are your thoughts about it so far??
It's great - I think it was worth the money I spent. That being said, I think people over exaggerate how good the system sounds (it's not "omg the best thing ever").
Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 AM   #3164
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
It's great - I think it was worth the money I spent. That being said, I think people over exaggerate how good the system sounds (it's not "omg the best thing ever").
I'm definitely curious to hear it now.