follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #1
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Automatic Transmission: Loud Clank

I have an automatic 2013 FR-S. Lately I've started hearing a loud, metallic "clank" sound when putting it into gear to start driving (forward and reverse) and I can also hear it when it shifts gears sometimes. This started during the winter, as I drove it all winter in a very cold North Dakota; there was a lot of starting out on ice and then transitioning to solid traction. I'm not sure if that could be a contributing factor or coincidence. At first I thought it might be coming from the rear of the car, possibly the differential, but I don't think that's the case. I just changed diff fluid and everything looked normal as far as I could tell. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the transmission. I do tend to be "spirited" when driving, with a heavy foot when accelerating. So far I haven't felt anything different, it still drives smooth and shifts gears just fine. But the sound is starting to bother me.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I heard similar noise since very purchase, if it's same as what you are speaking about. IIRC it might be some diff 'preloading' when putting into gear. Don't know, never bothered me much, 'because racecar' , got used to it. Maybe some aftermarket diff bushings may help?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
I have an automatic 2013 FR-S. Lately I've started hearing a loud, metallic "clank" sound when putting it into gear to start driving (forward and reverse) and I can also hear it when it shifts gears sometimes. This started during the winter, as I drove it all winter in a very cold North Dakota; there was a lot of starting out on ice and then transitioning to solid traction. I'm not sure if that could be a contributing factor or coincidence. At first I thought it might be coming from the rear of the car, possibly the differential, but I don't think that's the case. I just changed diff fluid and everything looked normal as far as I could tell. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the transmission. I do tend to be "spirited" when driving, with a heavy foot when accelerating. So far I haven't felt anything different, it still drives smooth and shifts gears just fine. But the sound is starting to bother me.
I also have a 2013 automatic and I've never had a clank shifting into gear. I would recommend checking the front pipe of the exhaust for shiny spots or dents near where it passes by the transmission. Also check the transmission, motor, and carrier bearing mounts for tears or other damage. I think something has come loose outside the transmission, rather then inside. There is also the possibility of a bad u-joint, but you can check that easily while you're under the car. The mounts will be much harder to inspect. I have had clearance problems with the exhaust over-pipe, but that makes more of a rattle, than a clank noise.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
If this is happens only when the car is still warming up, I wouldn't really worry about it

2 winters on the A/T and it's quite crunchy/notchy during winter with some weird noises. Spring time has commenced and no problems
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
zman

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It happened to me too, usually when I'm parked in a hill or something. Pull the E brake before you put it in park and it fixes the problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
It happened to me too, usually when I'm parked in a hill or something. Pull the E brake before you put it in park and it fixes the problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
If this is happens only when the car is still warming up, I wouldn't really worry about it

2 winters on the A/T and it's quite crunchy/notchy during winter with some weird noises. Spring time has commenced and no problems
I do this and don't notice it much, also this AT behaves funny when cold and has its quirks
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote