follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm conflicted FR-S now or BRZ later?

I have both the BRZ and the FR-S on order, and today the Scion dealer called to tell me the FR-S will be in next week (Earnhardt Scion in Mesa, AZ). Whereas I don't expect the my BRZ limited to be here until sometime in June.

Big difference is trim levels. price, and delivery date.

What should I do?
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why did you order both? What does the BRZ have that made you want one over an FR-S? After my last vehicle purchase I'm a strong believer in not settling; i.e. get what you really want if you have the means. If you really want the BRZ and it won't put you in a bad spot to wait it out I'd do just that.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
Why did you order both? What does the BRZ have that made you want one over an FR-S? After my last vehicle purchase I'm a strong believer in not settling; i.e. get what you really want if you have the means. If you really want the BRZ and it won't put you in a bad spot to wait it out I'd do just that.
When I ordered both, I wasn't sure which one I wanted and I wanted one earlier than later because I want to get rid of my car before I put any more money into it. Plus, like everyone else, I am jonesing for the car.

I like the BRZ limited because of the keyless start, the heated leather/alcantra seats, HID headlights, and the foglights - the wing, no so much.

I like the FR-S because it is 40 pounds lighter and less expensive.

I will be cancelling one of the orders as soon as I make a final decision.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil86 View Post
When I ordered both, I wasn't sure which one I wanted and I wanted one earlier than later because I want to get rid of my car before I put any more money into it. Plus, like everyone else, I am jonesing for the car.

I like the BRZ limited because of the keyless start, the heated leather/alcantra seats, HID headlights, and the foglights - the wing, no so much.

I like the FR-S because it is 40 pounds lighter and less expensive.

I will be cancelling one of the orders as soon as I make a final decision.
40 lbs is a negligible amount of weight. Gasoline weighs something like 6 lbs a gallon so you're talking ~6 gallons of gas. The money, on the other hand, is a more substantial consideration, but again, if you can afford the difference and you really like the features you mentioned, I'd go for the BRZ. The FR-S is too barebones IMO; the interior is very cheap.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just because Subaru says MSRP is 25,495 that doesnt mean thats how much you will pay, if the one you ordered has even a couple options the price goes up exponentially. If you want automatic that drives it up like 1100... chances are the ones on the lot will all have some accessories or options so all of them will prolly be over 28,000 after destination charge. the Scion doesnt have that. Its 24,930 for manual no strings attached. big difference IMO but on the other hand if one was really worried about price, it is always better to wait longer and save up more money for a bigger down payment. Just my 2 cents.
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you have spots for both and can get the exact model you wanted (meaning that they don't end up giving you one in a different color or with the wrong transmission) at MSRP, get the BRZ, especially if the difference in price is not a huge concern. But unless you need a new car in the next couple of weeks, then obviously you can rock the FR-S.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Whichever one you are leaning toward make sure you go to that dealer first and verify AND get it in writing what delivery date, color, options and the EXACT price will be once it arrives.
There are many people saying they are allocation #X on a list but the car they want is nothing like dealer allocation #X when it arrives at the dealership. They then loose their spot in line and have to wait on another unsold unit that will meet their requirements.