follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #43
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I'm pretty sure for newer cars like ours, you don't have to worry about catastrophic clutch failure out of no where. maybe for cars that are 10+ years old, but IMO it's an unfounded worry unless you constantly abuse the crap out of the car. even if the clutch does go bad, there will be signs like the TOB squeaking or the pedal feeling different. and if the clutch does blow up, well, adjusting your pedal wouldn't help with that haha

EDIT: I read a few posts wrong, but still, newer cars like ours shouldn't have any problems with the clutch master cylinder that would warrant any worries.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. That includes regular inspection wherever possible and contingency planning.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #44
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I test drove one for the first time and noticed a few of the things said here. My main gripe is that the clutch was very vague. It felt largely the same throughout the entire travel and I couldnt tell what was happening. I've experienced this in a few modern cars as well. It must be soft for your regular commuter. I stalled once on my test drive and the guy behind me started blasting his horn. I guess I'll have to learn from muscle memory rather than feel.
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #45
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
I test drove one for the first time and noticed a few of the things said here. My main gripe is that the clutch was very vague. It felt largely the same throughout the entire travel and I couldnt tell what was happening. I've experienced this in a few modern cars as well. It must be soft for your regular commuter. I stalled once on my test drive and the guy behind me started blasting his horn. I guess I'll have to learn from muscle memory rather than feel.
The good thing is there is an easy fix for what you experienced. Adjusting the pedal height, removing a return spring on the pedal are two easy mods to make it feel like a normal clutch. There is another simple procedure to replace the slave cylinder but I haven't done it yet.

See if you can find someone who did those mods for a short test drive.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #46
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Garage
Those are 2 of the mods that I want to do, but gonna wait a little to see if I can adapt. However, the more I read the more I see people saying that it's a "must do" mod. Is one recommended over the other or should one be done first? I saw some guys having issues, but didn't see definitive evidence that the problem was caused by either mod.
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #47
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
Those are 2 of the mods that I want to do, but gonna wait a little to see if I can adapt. However, the more I read the more I see people saying that it's a "must do" mod. Is one recommended over the other or should one be done first? I saw some guys having issues, but didn't see definitive evidence that the problem was caused by either mod.
I only adjusted my pedal height and it's good enough for me. just drive it for a bit and muscle memory will kick in. I set mine to grab about an inch off the floor. keep in mind that when you adjust it and go for a test drive, a cold start will have a different clutch pedal feel that after it warms up. so lets say you have an inch travel before it bites on a cold start, after it warms up it will be about 1.2" or something like that. so adjust the pedal when your car is warmed up for the most accurate reading.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:59 PM   #48
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I drove a Porsche 996 C4 today and I finally realized why cable actuated shifters suck donkey balls. The feel of it compare to our rod actived shifter is like a cheap CH Flightstick compare to a proper classic Thrustmaster. Also, the Porsche clutch pedal travel is just way too long, but the feel is amazing and no guessing game for the engagement point (I really missed the old school cable throttle).

Driving the BRZ afterwards the clutch feels like it's broken cuz I now have superhuman foot strength lol!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
drewbot (05-28-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #49
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I only adjusted my pedal height and it's good enough for me. just drive it for a bit and muscle memory will kick in. I set mine to grab about an inch off the floor. keep in mind that when you adjust it and go for a test drive, a cold start will have a different clutch pedal feel that after it warms up. so lets say you have an inch travel before it bites on a cold start, after it warms up it will be about 1.2" or something like that. so adjust the pedal when your car is warmed up for the most accurate reading.
Have you driven one with the clutch slave mod? I'm going to guess no. Everyone having issues with clutch vagueness. Remove the spring, adjust the clutch to your heart's content. It still won't take care of it.

Fixing the lack of feel eliminates the need for "muscle memory." There's no "getting used to it."

It just works. Period.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #50
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Have you driven one with the clutch slave mod? I'm going to guess no. Everyone having issues with clutch vagueness. Remove the spring, adjust the clutch to your heart's content. It still won't take care of it.

Fixing the lack of feel eliminates the need for "muscle memory." There's no "getting used to it."

It just works. Period.
I've mitigated the clutch vagueness by installing the STI Performance clutch disc and clutch cover with higher clamping force. Now the clutch pedal is a little heavier and it grabs a little earlier on the stroke.

http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/br...0100ZA000.html

http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/br...0210ZA000.html

Going with thinner sole shoes would definitely help as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #51
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I've mitigated the clutch vagueness by installing the STI Performance clutch disc and clutch cover with higher clamping force. Now the clutch pedal is a little heavier and it grabs a little earlier on the stroke.

http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/br...0100ZA000.html

http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/br...0210ZA000.html

Going with thinner sole shoes would definitely help as well.
I've wondered about that. Even in my bunny slippers, the stock clutch doesn't grab until the very top.

I've been holding off on a heavier pressure plate because I learned a thing or two, owning an Eclipse.
@ScoobsMcGee

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
krayzie
Drive From Home

BTW also unsure how much of the better feel now is contributed to changing the clutch fluid to ATE Typ 200 DOT4. I'm on the stock slave cylinder setup and no adjustment ever made to the clutch pedal.

Sometimes you got to wonder how many things this car has that are designed with taking on aftermarket parts in mind.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #53
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Quote:
Sometimes you got to wonder how many things this car has that are designed with taking on aftermarket parts in mind.
Espeically the twins Sometimes i wonder if they were made with the intent to sell to tuners and modders and drifters and racers and so on and so forth.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #54
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
My only other manual car was a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. That car had a pretty long throws as a stock. I needed to get the short shifter plate soon after I bought the car. It was much better but still a little notch.

Compare to that, my BRZ shifter is so much smoother even in the stock form. I don't really feel the need to get a short shifter.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #55
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Was driving a 2015 wrx around the lot today and to the gas station to fill it up...what a difference between the short shifter in my brz and the stock shifter in the wrx. So much more leg work..
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #56
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
BTW also unsure how much of the better feel now is contributed to changing the clutch fluid to ATE Typ 200 DOT4. I'm on the stock slave cylinder setup and no adjustment ever made to the clutch pedal.

Meh, fluid's fluid. If one could feel changes in seal stiction, maybe, but then there would be bigger issues lurking.

I bet changing to water wouldn't be noticeable until everything started to rust.