follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Oxyg3n

Old 03-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #155
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larphraulen View Post
Anyone have any updates after if it came back after getting it fixed?
There are several on a thread dedicated to that subject -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 AM   #156
S0crates

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My car just came down with the same issue.

I bought a new 2017 Subaru BRZ PP in January 2018. The car is still completely stock and has had no issues until the CEL came on a few days ago while driving to work. It is a short 3.5 mile drive with mixed highway and city driving. P219A and P119F. The BRZ has 8080 miles on it. I took it to the stealership yesterday and they said the same thing, they need to pull the engine and adjust the valves. They need the car for 2 weeks to do the work and can't start on the work for 2 weeks. They told me to take the car home and drive it until then, but I may have slightly worse fuel economy.
Fingers crossed this works out alright.

Already posted the following thread, posting here for posterity.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125938

Last edited by S0crates; 03-12-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Fixed markup
S0crates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S0crates For This Useful Post:
Larphraulen (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #157
Larphraulen

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 6m; 2012 VW GLI 6m
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just got off the phone with the dealer. They said they've done all the tests that Subaru Canada wanted them to do.

It's a matter now of hearing back about what to go forward with. Worse case scenario: dropping the motor and performing something related to the valve shims.
Larphraulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #158
rmicroys

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Rather than make a new thread, I’ll add on here.

I just picked up a new to me BRZ Sport-Tech RS, 9500km used demonstrator (or a ‘corporate car’, executive driven) as they said. Lol. Probably was a media car and has had the living daylights driven out of it.

All that being said... I bought the car Saturday started it in the lot, programmed my phone and went over the features with the sales folks. Then went back in to finish up the paperwork. Went back out to leave started the car, and adjusted my seat, mirrors, and a couple other things and then, as I was about to pull out of the lot with my car the engine light turns on - never even drove the car an inch.

Turns out to be P219A and P119F.

Dropped it off today and I’m curious to what other Canadian’s experience with this is. They are seemingly trying to brush this off. Their first comment back to me was that the light was no longer lit, it was when I dropped it off. Then their first excuse about the light being on was maybe it was from the car getting flooded. What, really? Who said it flooded. I didn’t - and it certainly never had any issue starting. I’m wondering how often these codes pop back up once they are seen and what if anything actually fixes it. I have read the a TSB from Subaru of USA. And I’m not sure if they have it issued in Canada. I’m sure they are going to just brush it off as bad fuel, not starting properly. Etc.

I’m normally a VW guy and expect this crap from my older VWs. This is a first for me otherwise.

Also, it seems this code comes up more when idling rather than at load, am I correct?
rmicroys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #159
rmicroys

Lol. Awesome. As I expected. They just drove the car around, let it idle a while and said, nope the code didn’t come back. Good to go!

But at least they are looking at replacing my rear suspension because it clunks. Really, 9500km and the car is already worn to the point of MILs and clunking suspensions? Wow. What the hell made me buy this car? I should have come here first and read some of the crap y’all are complaining about.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #160
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmicroys View Post
Lol. Awesome. As I expected. They just drove the car around, let it idle a while and said, nope the code didn’t come back. Good to go!

But at least they are looking at replacing my rear suspension because it clunks. Really, 9500km and the car is already worn to the point of MILs and clunking suspensions? Wow. What the hell made me buy this car? I should have come here first and read some of the crap y’all are complaining about.
were you expecting a back to basics & refined RWD driving experience?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #161
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
There’s an ECM software update available to fix the codes. They’re supposed to check the valve clearances and then reflash the ECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #162
rmicroys

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
were you expecting a back to basics & refined RWD driving experience?

Lol. At least maybe not a car that it already falling apart. I know it isn’t a premium car, but hell, less than a year old and 9500km and it clunks. Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Gti View Post
There’s an ECM software update available to fix the codes. They’re supposed to check the valve clearances and then reflash the ECM.

Ya. They follow their procedure from head office evidently. I have read the TSB already. I guess Subaru Head Office wasn’t willing to pay for that yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmicroys For This Useful Post:
HKz (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #163
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Lol. At least maybe not a car that it already falling apart. I know it isn’t a premium car, but hell, less than a year old and 9500km and it clunks. Really?
yes really it is a clunky car especially when cold and especially when you're just putting around not trying to send it. I get clunky sounds from my front suspension but most of the time I don't hear anything, windows down + TRD exhaust drowns everything out
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #164
rmicroys

Check engine light on new car..

Well then they need to fix their shit. A 1985 VW GTI would clunk less than this BRZ.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #165
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Well then they need to fix their shit. A 1985 VW GTI would clunk less than this BRZ.
why? This car is supposed to be a remake of the cheap FR coupes that were available by the dozen in the 80s and 90s. Your GTI is not really the same class of car as being FWD and less about driving feel allowed the GTI to excel at DD attributes...heck maybe your VW even has more sound proofing than the twins lol...there are always trade offs with certain platforms especially at this price point.. My 86 is as clunky as my very first car 240SX and also really no different than what I've experienced in Miatas, 350/370Zs, S2000s, etc..
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #166
nitro_alltrac

Drives: '17 86
On the way home last night and the damn light came on again. I was about 3-4 miles from work this time when it came on. Probably about 48 degrees or so. Same as always, 119 current, 219 in history.

I'm really not wanting the local dealerships tearing into the engine.
nitro_alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #167
rmicroys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac View Post
On the way home last night and the damn light came on again. I was about 3-4 miles from work this time when it came on. Probably about 48 degrees or so. Same as always, 119 current, 219 in history.

I'm really not wanting the local dealerships tearing into the engine.

So how often does your light come on? Every couple of months? I’m just wondering how often I get to look forward to this wonderful experience.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #168
nitro_alltrac

Drives: '17 86
Well, prior to today, it had only done it three times. This was months apart every time it did.

I was at an autocross today and the light came on again late morning. Car was warm but the air temp was about 48.

So four times total now. The last two just a couple of days apart.

I guess I'm gong to end up having to take it in.
nitro_alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote