follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #29
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the same clunk from the rear on my MCS 2WNR with DS autocross set-up. I thought the clunk was normal for the 2WNR and have not experienced any loss of performance with the clunk. I live in a pothole filled city, so it is quite annoying to drive around the city, but I've gotten used to it?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
Mr.Scion (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My new 1WNR a few years ago had a clunk in the RF right out of the box so I sent back to MCS for inspection. They said they didn't find anything but rebuilt it anyway and no problems after that.

I have 2WR now. Had all 4 rebuilt last winter due to one weeping (and 35k+ miles), and every now and again I heard a noise from the RR but chalk it up to shock noise. Granted if it was bad enough to be able to push on the car and hear it I would send them back in for inspection/rebuild.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-19-2019), TMF (03-19-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #31
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Although the clunks that I was hearing was very loud, and I'm pretty sure that is not normal.

Update...I shipped all 4 dampers and Raceseng rear mounts to MCS for inspection and probably a rebuild and revalve. I did put the stock suspension back on so I can continue my remote tuning process, and the suspension is silent. So I do think that the culprit was the dampers, but I'll keep this thread updated once I hear back from MCS!
RJasonKlein (03-20-2019), Tristor (03-20-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
TMF

Update: I heard back from MCS yesterday. They did not find any major issues with the dampers or the Raceseng rear top mounts. These do have the older style piston assembly and blow-off valve, which they said could be a bit noisy. They offered to upgrade the piston assemblies and blow-offs, but due to the cost to upgrade, and since this is primarily a track car, we determined that it wasn't really necessary. #racecarnoises I am doing a refresh and revalve (I'm running higher rates than the previous owner) on all 4 and they should be back just in time for my first event next weekend! Midwest 86 cup at Mid-Ohio.
Biggins (03-27-2019), Code Monkey (03-27-2019), strat61caster (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #33
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Update: I heard back from MCS yesterday. They did not find any major issues with the dampers or the Raceseng rear top mounts. These do have the older style piston assembly and blow-off valve, which they said could be a bit noisy. They offered to upgrade the piston assemblies and blow-offs, but due to the cost to upgrade, and since this is primarily a track car, we determined that it wasn't really necessary. #racecarnoises I am doing a refresh and revalve (I'm running higher rates than the previous owner) on all 4 and they should be back just in time for my first event next weekend! Midwest 86 cup at Mid-Ohio.
That's good to hear I'm not crazy about thinking the noise was "normal." That is great turn-around time if they get them back to you in time!

I will probably go with the 1WNR next time because I've heard they are a little "quieter" and less knobs should mean less things I can mess up since I've yet to find the exact "perfect" setting I like on my 2WNRs.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
TMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
That's good to hear I'm not crazy about thinking the noise was "normal." That is great turn-around time if they get them back to you in time!

I will probably go with the 1WNR next time because I've heard they are a little "quieter" and less knobs should mean less things I can mess up since I've yet to find the exact "perfect" setting I like on my 2WNRs.
Yea, their turnaround times are insanely quick...currently 4 days because it is busy season. Normally it's faster. The support has been amazing thus far, especially considering that I bought this set used.

And he did say that their new piston and blow-off valve design is quiet. My set is 5+ years old and has the older design...I'm guessing yours are older as well?

Totally hear you on preference for less knobs. I actually wanted the 2 ways because after running rebound adjustable only Koni's for years, I found myself wanting more adjustability, since sometimes the better knob to turn is compression, not rebound. To help with the "black magic" of damper/suspension adjustments, someone introduced this guide to me. It's a small, laminated, pocket-sized guide that has recommendations on how to change your setup (alignment, damper settings, spring rate, etc) to deal with an undesired handling characteristic (e.g. corner exit oversteer, try adjusting xyz), and it also has an opposite section on what setups will cause a specific handling situation (e.g. an oversprung front end will cause xyz). Easy to throw in the tote and refer to when you need.
https://smile.amazon.com/Carroll-Smi...s%2C162&sr=8-1

Just FYI