follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
JayBoii

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catback + Test pipe Warranty?

I would like to know if a catback + test pipe would void warranty, I am going to the stealership to get my free oil change in a couple of days. I am more concerned about the test pipe. Can anyone give me some info?
JayBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
BRZerk
Some guy in a white car

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
that is not how warranties work. i suggest you google how auto warranties work
wparsons (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a nice explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

...so your experience may very. My personal advice is to install a turbo, void your warranty proudly and be done with it.
JohnJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Here's a nice explanation:
That really doesn't help because it's a wall of text, plus it doesn't address the fundamental question of warranty being "void".

I keep saying this like I'm on a recorded loop: your warranty is never void unless you destroy the car or Subaru goes out of business. Warranty coverage is and always will be there as long as the car is in sound working condition and within the mileage/time limits of the car.

Warranty coverage and approval/denial of claims is what is at stake here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoii View Post
I would like to know if a catback + test pipe would void warranty, I am going to the stealership to get my free oil change in a couple of days. I am more concerned about the test pipe. Can anyone give me some info?
See above.

What are you going to the "stealership" for other than an oil change? If you want to think of the dealer as someone who steals your money, I can assure you that in the long run, you will always have questions about whether your warranty will be void because you assume the dealer is out to get you, which is about as far from the truth as you can get.

Warranty claims are free money for a dealer. Do you seriously think they want to turn you down for a legit claim when they will get paid by Subaru corporate?

You want to make friends with a dealer, not enemies. Labeling them as a stealership (even though you're getting a FREE oil change) really won't help you in the long run.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
JayBoii

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
That really doesn't help because it's a wall of text, plus it doesn't address the fundamental question of warranty being "void".

I keep saying this like I'm on a recorded loop: your warranty is never void unless you destroy the car or Subaru goes out of business. Warranty coverage is and always will be there as long as the car is in sound working condition and within the mileage/time limits of the car.

See above.

What are you going to the "stealership" for other than an oil change? If you want to think of the dealer as someone who steals your money, I can assure you that in the long run, you will always have questions about whether your warranty will be void because you assume the dealer is out to get you, which is about as far from the truth as you can get.

Warranty claims are free money for a dealer. Do you seriously think they want to turn you down for a legit claim when they will get paid by Subaru corporate?

You want to make friends with a dealer, not enemies. Labeling them as a stealership (even though you're getting a FREE oil change) really won't help you in the long run.

-alex
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I am going to my dealership today with my catback + test pipe and going to try and make some new friends! Wish me luck
JayBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

See above.

-alex

wow so unnecesary. You can't be so literal.. "void" im sure the OP meant what we will usually mean, if the parts installed will prevent him from getting warranty work. That "wall of text" was pretty informative btw.
JohnJuan (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
wow so unnecesary. You can't be so literal.. "void" im sure the OP meant what we will usually mean, if the parts installed will prevent him from getting warranty work. That "wall of text" was pretty informative btw.
Yes I know what people mean when they say "void", but the problem is with threads like this: consumers don't understand the warranty process and want to modify their cars without understanding what they can or cannot do.

At the same time, they also do not understand what rights they have. A lot of this is with how the cut/paste version of the M-M Act explains the legality of the law, without putting it into plain English for the average joe.

A better answer to the question would be:

"No, the mods won't void warranty. Dealers are in the business of selling cars and offering parts and service, and legit warranty claims give them revenue and business. A smart dealer will know that a car, modded or not, is always covered under factory warranty and that by "voiding" a car from warranty claim, you lose a customer. As a consumer, there is nothing to fear from having mods on your car as long as you understand what rights you have. The M-M Act is usually referred to as a last resort, it should not get to that point when negotiating legitimate warranty claims between the dealer and the consumer."

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote