follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
Conti extreme contacts have 30k mile warranty too and probably cost less than the michelins...but just a little more than the 500s

they stopped making these
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
glhs386

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
they stopped making these
You must be thinking of an older model, the ExtremeContact Sport is relatively new tire and very much available.
glhs386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'd say the Firehawks are 90% of the MPSS at a lower price, they got more expensive so whether they're a bargain or not depends on your budget and performance target. I bought at <$90/each but looking now they're up to $113/each which is pushing it for me, I think as they sell better and better Bridgestone/Tirerack is playing with the price to see what they can get. There's a couple tires in the same category as the Bridgestones at ~$100/each that are probably a better value at this point.

For DD tires I've had: Primacy HP, Direzza Z2SS, Pilot Super Sports, Firehawk Indy 500's and I've driven on RE71R's a few thousand miles.

Going to try the Continental Extremecontact Sport next, but that'll probably be about a year away from now. They're supposed to be better than the old PSS, very close to the PS4S and at a price point between the Firestones and the Michelins I think they'll be worth the extra ~$120/set. After those it'll either be PS4S or something else.

No idea about the Michelin A/S, but compared to the Firestones I'd expect less grip in most situations except below ~40° F, softer sidewalls, less noise, more durability. Everyone's desires are different.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs386 View Post
You must be thinking of an older model, the ExtremeContact Sport is relatively new tire and very much available.

yeah the dw was replaced by the extreme contact sport, but i thought i read that this year they are replacing that with the conti something or else sport some number.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone chime in on sidewall stiffness from the Indy 500's?
@Yoshoobaroo @strat61caster
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Rampage (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #20
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Going to try the Continental Extremecontact Sport next, but that'll probably be about a year away from now. They're supposed to be better than the old PSS, very close to the PS4S and at a price point between the Firestones and the Michelins I think they'll be worth the extra ~$120/set. After those it'll either be PS4S or something else.
I am currently looking for new tires for my 2ZZ Spyder to replace my square set-up of 215/45-16 S-Drives so this conversation is interesting to me. I have been trying to decide how Extreme I want to go so the tires I have been researching are the:

Bridgestone RE71-r
Toyo Proxess R1R

or a little more sane with:

Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Considering that my car is 500 lbs lighter than the twins, I think that I could get pretty good mileage out of the 200 TW tires but I am a bit concerned about additional road noise, harsher ride and reduced mileage on those as I am planning a 2500 mile round trip in a matter of weeks. I also do not really need their level of traction because I do not track or autox. My spirited driving is in the mountains of Tennessee and the hills and dales of southern Ohio.

For that reason, I had just about decided to go with the Continental ECS because I had heard mostly good things about them. The only thing that bothered me were a couple on comments by reviewers saying the sidewalls were on the soft side. So I opted to chat with one of the customer service representatives on TireRack and ask him about that. He told me that the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires cornered better than the ECS and that he was switching his own car from ECS to the Firestones next month. The Firestones are about $13 cheaper per tire than the Contis and about $40-50 cheaper than the 200TW tires.

I still have not completely made up my mind but I am leaning towards the Indy 500s now.

The draw to the Toyo Proxess R1R is that it is the only tire that I can run a staggered set up on my 16" wheels with 205/45-16 front and 225/45-16 rear. All the rest of my choices are in 205/45-16 all around and the Firestones have the (slightly) narrowest tread of the group. Decisions, decisions!

Anyone that can share experiences with any of these tires could help me and FT86 drivers decide which replacement tire to choose..

Last edited by Rampage; 03-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #21
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I just bought a set of Indy 500s for my new wheel/tire setup. Originally I was gonna go with MPS4S but all the reviews of the Indys said they were very close to as good, but way cheaper and they seem to last longer. Seemed like they would serve me just as well, since I'm not tracking the car or serious about autoX or anything like that.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #22
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Can anyone chime in on sidewall stiffness from the Indy 500's?
@Yoshoobaroo @strat61caster
iirc it's in between the OE Primacy HP and the PSS (stiffer than stock, softer than PSS), definitely softer than the common sports tires like Direzza Z2 or Bridgestone RE71R

I wouldn't want to pinch them, I think they'd get sloppy real fast like a 225 on a 7" I wouldn't want to waste money on, 7.5" might be passable with a 225.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I am currently looking for new tires for my 2ZZ Spyder to replace my square set-up of 215/45-16 S-Drives so this conversation is interesting to me. I have been trying to decide how Extreme I want to go so the tires I have been researching are the:

Bridgestone RE71-r
Toyo Proxess R1R

Anyone that can share experiences with any of these tires could help me and FT86 drivers decide which replacement tire to choose..
I think I'm about to hit the cord on my RE71R at ~2k miles, but that's ~140 autox runs on them and -4° camber up front with too many street miles. If you don't slide around on them on a frequent basis 5k-10k miles should be easy but I think you'd have to granny them to get to 15k miles even on a lighter car like the MR2. No experience with the Proxes.

I'm a little suprised the TireRack rep is saying that the Firestones are grippier than the Conti's but I could believe that for dry conditions. I'm wanting to switch to the Conti's because they'd be my daily tires so the softer sidewalls will be nice and they'd be my "I'm autox-ing in a monsoon" tires or "I'm just ****ing around at a track" tires. From the tests I can find they're second only to the PS4S in finding grip through a pond covered surface. I don't think the Firestones are great in the wet, part of why I say they're "90% of a PSS" is because I think the Michelin is better in the wet and has better dry grip when fresh, but the fresh Firestones were grippier than the worn out Michelins.

And of course this is just my memory of what my butt felt so ymmv.

I think you might be on the right track for picking the Indy over the ECS, sounds like you want something sporty but not too sporty, it also sounds like if you weren't using 16" wheels the PS4S would be the pick.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #23
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

Bridgestone RE71-r
Toyo Proxess R1R

Considering that my car is 500 lbs lighter than the twins, I think that I could get pretty good mileage out of the 200 TW tires but I am a bit concerned about additional road noise, harsher ride and reduced mileage on those as I am planning a 2500 mile round trip in a matter of weeks. I also do not really need there level of traction because I do not track or autox. My spirited driving is in the mountains of Tennessee and the hills and dales of southern Ohio.

For that reason, I had just about decided to go with the Continental ECS because I had heard mostly good things about them. The only thing that bothered me were a couple on comments by reviewers saying the sidewalls were on the soft side. So I opted to chat with one of the customer service representatives on TireRack and ask him about that. He told me that the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires cornered better than the ECS and that he was switching his own car from ECS to the Firestones next month. The Firestones are about $13 cheaper than the Contis and about $40-50 cheaper than the 200TW tires.

I still have not completely made up my mind but I am leaning towards the Indy 500s now.

The draw to the Toyo Proxess R1R is that is is the only tire that I can run a staggered set up on my 16" wheels with 205/45-16 front and 225/45-16 rear. All the rest of my choices are in 205/45-16 all around and the Firestones have the (slightly) narrowest tread of the group. Decisions, decisions!

i believe this was an issue with the DW tires which was the last gen because they bragged about making the sidewall like 50% stiffer or something like that. but i too am debating btween these 2 for autox. im not nearly good enough to drop money on re71r and a set of DD tires
Old 03-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
It is a bit unfortunate that TireRack does not, or at least has not yet, tested the
Firehawks head to head with the ECS. I believe I found individual test results that showed them to be .15 seconds quicker around TireRacks little test track than the ECS but the test was performed on different days for each tire so those results are probably not much to go on.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #25
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
i believe this was an issue with the DW tires which was the last gen because they bragged about making the sidewall like 50% stiffer or something like that. but i too am debating btween these 2 for autox. im not nearly good enough to drop money on re71r and a set of DD tires
I ran the DWs and agree that the sidewalls were not overly stiff. However, I think this made them a better road tire. And the few times I autocrossed them, I ran a little more pressure in them than *perfect* conditions. But they gripped great, wore very well, were fantastic in the wet, and were a bargain considering their pricing. Not to mention being the lightest tires in their performance class.. I'm looking forward to replacing my current street tires with the newer ExtremeContact Sports.

The Indy500 (Bridgestone S003) isn't a bad tire by any stretch, but is getting a little long in the tooth. The newer S007A is probably a better summer tire, but the Conti is a tough competitor...such entertaining choices!