follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
So... now that you have direct support for the Edelbrock SC and your own OFT350 turbo kit, what would you consider the pros/cons between the two for a daily-driven street car? I understand the obvious advantage the Edelbrock has in strict emissions states like CA, but if the lack of a CARB certificate isn't an issue... is the Edelbrock worth the extra $1400 over the OFT350/SBD turbo setup?
I don't want this to devolve into a typical Turbo vs. Supercharger debate as I'm well aware of the fundamental differences/trade-offs... I mostly want to focus on these two products and the support you provide for them through the OFT.
-Matt
I'd love to see an overlay of their dyno plots to see where they are similar and where they differ!

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Same... I'm thinking the OFT350/SBD turbo is still the biggest bang for the buck. (assuming CARB isn't a factor, of course) but it would be interesting to get shiv's perspective.

The edlebrock also appears to be the less "intrusive" installation since you're just changing out bolt-on parts rather than swapping oil pans and cutting crash beams.. But I'm not sure it's easier.
-Matt

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Same... I'm thinking the OFT350/SBD turbo is still the biggest bang for the buck. (assuming CARB isn't a factor, of course) but it would be interesting to get shiv's perspective.

The edlebrock also appears to be the less "intrusive" installation since you're just changing out bolt-on parts rather than swapping oil pans and cutting crash beams.. But I'm not sure it's easier.
-Matt

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
That's what i'm thinking too. from dynos i could find the edelbrock has a bit more torque under 5K and the SBD kit a bit more over 5k, but their curves look really similar overall. what are your thoughts @Shiv@Openflash?

Another thing to consider is that the edelbrock kit adds ~60lbs pretty high up in the engine bay. I don't know the weight of the turbo kit, which sits lower down but also further forward.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #18
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
That's what i'm thinking too. from dynos i could find the edelbrock has a bit more torque under 5K and the SBD kit a bit more over 5k, but their curves look really similar overall. what are your thoughts @Shiv@Openflash?

Another thing to consider is that the edelbrock kit adds ~60lbs pretty high up in the engine bay. I don't know the weight of the turbo kit, which sits lower down but also further forward.
The last sentence is something I've been wondering which is the lesser of two evils, weight higher up, or farther forward?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #19
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
The last sentence is something I've been wondering which is the lesser of two evils, weight higher up, or farther forward?
I own an Edelbrock and driven a JRSC'd car (granted, not the same, but similar weight and placement as the SBD) on a canyon road and I am hard pressed to feel the difference. Same goes on the track, stock vs Edelbrock, no difference in dynamics (weight transfer), but I'm a novice driver at best
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-01-2016), Reamer (07-01-2016), Yoshoobaroo (07-01-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #20
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I own an Edelbrock and driven a JRSC'd car (granted, not the same, but similar weight and placement as the SBD) on a canyon road and I am hard pressed to feel the difference. Same goes on the track, stock vs Edelbrock, no difference in dynamics (weight transfer), but I'm a novice driver at best
How do you like the Edelbrock? I tried looking for a review in your posts but didn't see one.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
How do you like the Edelbrock? I tried looking for a review in your posts but didn't see one.
Lol, not sure if it's not evident enough on my posts (or how often I post about it in the owners thread), but I'm very happy with the kit. I was dead set on a JRSC until I took a tour of the Edelbrock facility and made the mistake of taking a ride with one of the engineers.

My car is mostly for DD and the semi-regular weekend twisties, so the mid-range grunt really helps. I can stay in 6th when passing on the freeway on my daily commute and usually just stay in 3rd or 4th when doing a canyon run (just "point & squirt" but now my heel-toe technique has suffered greatly). Although I'm a turbo guy (owned several, this is my first SC'd car), I think the linear power matches the original character of the car very well. I've ridden in a friends SBD car and, although the turbo surge is fun on a straight, it felt too much like an "on-off" switch on the twisties.

I can't comment on OFT (I have met Shiv and he seems like a nice guy), but Edelbrock tech support is top notch, plus it helps that they are in the same state. CARB is great , but if you don't need it and already have an OFT, this is a nice plus (I would note that if you do need CARB, I would asume that going with OFT won't work)
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-03-2016), trigger happy (01-31-2017), Yoshoobaroo (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Sounds like a blast, I'm a turbo guy too, but the edelbrock SC just sounds so nice after reading all about it.
I'm in Florida, so what's this about carburetors? :P

-Josh
Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sounds like a blast, I'm a turbo guy too, but the edelbrock SC just sounds so nice after reading all about it.
I'm in Florida, so what's this about carburetors? :P

-Josh
There's a few Edelbrock kits out there... you should get a ride
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (07-03-2016)