follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
simonweisberg

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Sparcos/Aftermarket Seats in a BRZ/FRS/GT86

Has anyone put sparcos (more specifically sparco chromo roads) in a bra/frs/gt86 (or any other aftermarket seats in for that matter)? How much? How did they fit? How comfortable as a Daily?
simonweisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sparco

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sparco

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...co#post1821383

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...co#post1765704

And before anyone else says it. . .Use the Search feature.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Racecomp Engineering put in a Sparco ProADV.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26216
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
simonweisberg

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, more looking for non-fixed-back seats (the more road oriented sparcos), of which I could not find utilizing the search function. Thanks.
simonweisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
@simonweisberg Keep in mind that aftermarket seats should only really be used in conjuction with a roll bar or full cage. From the research I've done and videos I've seen (no I'm not an expert on this :P ) aftermarket seats, esp the ones you're wanting IE non-fixed back, aren't safe at all under collision. They can fold backwards or break, leading to the risk of submarining out of your seat belt or enduring further injury. :/

The bar is there to help keep the seat in place, but if you're running a bar or cage, you need a helmet to be safe from smashing your head off of it. @CSG Mike or many others could probably chime in here and help me out, but I wanted to make sure you knew this before going and buying one (being brand new to the forum and all I'm not sure of your experience). Seats like this should only really be used for the purpose of racing IMO, with the supporting mods to match. Unless you feel like dailying in a helmet everywhere.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Understated View Post
@simonweisberg Keep in mind that aftermarket seats should only really be used in conjuction with a roll bar or full cage. From the research I've done and videos I've seen (no I'm not an expert on this :P ) aftermarket seats, esp the ones you're wanting IE non-fixed back, aren't safe at all under collision. They can fold backwards or break, leading to the risk of submarining out of your seat belt or enduring further injury. :/

The bar is there to help keep the seat in place, but if you're running a bar or cage, you need a helmet to be safe from smashing your head off of it. @CSG Mike or many others could probably chime in here and help me out, but I wanted to make sure you knew this before going and buying one (being brand new to the forum and all I'm not sure of your experience). Seats like this should only really be used for the purpose of racing IMO, with the supporting mods to match. Unless you feel like dailying in a helmet everywhere.
I could understand this for racing applications.. but he didn't say he was going to be racing. The aftermarket companies make good and comfortable OEM replacement type seats. Recaro even makes some with heated seats! Someone on this forum put them in.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
I could understand this for racing applications.. but he didn't say he was going to be racing. The aftermarket companies make good and comfortable OEM replacement type seats. Recaro even makes some with heated seats! Someone on this forum put them in.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to install a different seat in mine, esp ones that may be comfier, have more options etc! I don't though because I'm concerned with the safety of the seat compared to OEM, daily driving or racing (Hell I haven't even gotten to the track yet). That's more what I wanted to point out. If I'm wrong: experts please correct me xD
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonweisberg View Post
Has anyone put sparcos (more specifically sparco chromo roads) in a bra/frs/gt86 (or any other aftermarket seats in for that matter)? How much? How did they fit? How comfortable as a Daily?
Just remember that you're compromising your airbag system.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (05-21-2015), fika84 (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
fika84

Garage
I think the stock seats are hella comfy!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
I think the stock seats are hella comfy!
Depends on the individual...the stock seats are very uncomfortable and not able to get me into a proper driving position. I am getting a nice aftermarket driver's seat from the best in the business (Recaro) as I don't want to further ruin my body or feel positioned wrong in the car. It's impossible to beat a Recaro ergonomic reclining seat for comfort and proper driving position...

As for aftermarket seats being "unsafe"... I guarantee you a Recaro reclining seat is safer than the factory reclining seat in it's mechanical mechanisms, the sloppiness and movement in the factory seat actually worries me. I will feel much safer in the Recaro, I know their quality.

As for the airbags.... Yes, the SRS system will be altered but you still have the side curtain airbags. I'm not sure if there would be a situation where the seat airbag would be triggered but the side curtains not...that would be the only case I would worry some about. I'm willing to take that chance though because this is the most crazily airbaged vehicle I've ever had.... most of my cars had no airbags and my Camaro and Tacoma only had driver and passenger ones.
Chriswongbrz (08-20-2019), fika84 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Depends on the individual...the stock seats are very uncomfortable and not able to get me into a proper driving position. I am getting a nice aftermarket driver's seat from the best in the business (Recaro) as I don't want to further ruin my body or feel positioned wrong in the car. It's impossible to beat a Recaro ergonomic reclining seat for comfort and proper driving position...

As for aftermarket seats being "unsafe"... I guarantee you a Recaro reclining seat is safer than the factory reclining seat in it's mechanical mechanisms, the sloppiness and movement in the factory seat actually worries me. I will feel much safer in the Recaro, I know their quality.

As for the airbags.... Yes, the SRS system will be altered but you still have the side curtain airbags. I'm not sure if there would be a situation where the seat airbag would be triggered but the side curtains not...that would be the only case I would worry some about. I'm willing to take that chance though because this is the most crazily airbaged vehicle I've ever had.... most of my cars had no airbags and my Camaro and Tacoma only had driver and passenger ones.
Definitely depends on the individual! How tall are you? I'm about 5'5" and thin, so I fit nice and snug.. but I could see how anyone taller wouldn't fit right with the side bolsters being so narrow.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I'm around 5'11" and I got them thunder thighs (thanks a lot, hockey) although, the seat holds me SO well. I've considered getting aftermarket seats for the bling. But don't want to compromise a safety device (airbags) and get into a crash and have my insurance company say "too fucking bad" and deny me coverage.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
I'm around 5'11" and I got them thunder thighs (thanks a lot, hockey) although, the seat holds me SO well. I've considered getting aftermarket seats for the bling. But don't want to compromise a safety device (airbags) and get into a crash and have my insurance company say "too fucking bad" and deny me coverage.
The larger concern is you possibly getting injured worse in a collision rather than being denied coverage.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The larger concern is you possibly getting injured worse in a collision rather than being denied coverage.
True, but I figured that one would go without saying.

The stock seats are really, really good. I see no reason to "upgrade", unless you're going for a full out track build.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-21-2015), The_Understated (05-21-2015)

Tags
interior, seats