follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
How best to empty gas tank

I assume when I get my oft, and put e85 in, that at some point I may have an issue with the car that I cannot fix. I would need to reset the ecu back to stock, and empty the e85 from the tank and refill it with 91 gas. Would I be able to suction the e85 out of the gas tank by the same method as we gas up? Or is it going to be blocked in some way?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
I assume when I get my oft, and put e85 in, that at some point I may have an issue with the car that I cannot fix. I would need to reset the ecu back to stock, and empty the e85 from the tank and refill it with 91 gas. Would I be able to suction the e85 out of the gas tank by the same method as we gas up? Or is it going to be blocked in some way?

You have not done any research into flex-fuel or the OFT tunes have you? Simply continue to fill up on e85 or wait for the e85 to get low and fill up with 93 and switch to the 93 tune.

I can't think of an "issue" where you'd have more than 1/4 of a tank of e85 that would require you messing with the tune to flash back to 91-93, at least I haven't run into it. Do not going draining the tank through the fuel filler neck. You'd simply never run into an issue so suddenly NA that you didn't have the foresight to run the tank down...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
HKz (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
pcguru2000

Garage
I saw a couple youtube videos of people with e85, starting the car, and the car dying 6 seconds later or not even being to start at all. If i'm not able to troubleshoot or fix the issue, I'll have to take the car into toyota for a look.

Yes, I have seen tons of videos of the procedure needed to switch from 91 to 85 and back with the oft. Watching the short term/long term, etc. It's not for that. This is my daily driver, so if it takes me 30 minutes to empty the tank, fill with 91, and tow it to toyota, they should be able to troubleshoot an on e85 related issue.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I saw a couple youtube videos of people with e85, starting the car, and the car dying 6 seconds later or not even being to start at all. If i'm not able to troubleshoot or fix the issue, I'll have to take the car into toyota for a look.

Yes, I have seen tons of videos of the procedure needed to switch from 91 to 85 and back with the oft. Watching the short term/long term, etc. It's not for that. This is my daily driver, so if it takes me 30 minutes to empty the tank, fill with 91, and tow it to toyota, they should be able to troubleshoot an on e85 related issue.
They're not going to troubleshoot a modified car without a huge troubleshooting/diagnostic fees and voiding your warranty. Most of the techs have no clue how the tunes work or how this car takes tunes. I want to see what videos you're talking about because they've done something inherently wrong.

With OFT the tune is pretty conservative you don't have to be FULLY empty on 91 to switch to e85 or vice versa.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
They're not going to troubleshoot a modified car without a huge troubleshooting/diagnostic fees and voiding your warranty. Most of the techs have no clue how the tunes work or how this car takes tunes. I want to see what videos you're talking about because they've done something inherently wrong.

With OFT the tune is pretty conservative you don't have to be FULLY empty on 91 to switch to e85 or vice versa.....
I agree with you, I don't think the e85 will cause a problem. I mean to say if I have to bring my car in for a NON e85 issue. Lets say my starter dies. My car would be stock except for the oft and e85. I would vacuum out the fuel tank, replace with 91, flash the car back to stock, and tow the car in. At that point, there's no visible mods. The only issue might be some ethanol left in the hoses and fuel rail. I would tell them the battery is fully charged, the started died. They would be concentrating on replacing the starter at that point and wouldn't think of anything. They would not know it was modified correct?

Once they started the car with a 91 in the tank but 85 in the lines...would this cause damage to the car? Once they suspected something, wouldn't all the e85 be gone from the lines/fuel rails?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
I agree with you, I don't think the e85 will cause a problem. I mean to say if I have to bring my car in for a NON e85 issue. Lets say my starter dies. My car would be stock except for the oft and e85. I would vacuum out the fuel tank, replace with 91, flash the car back to stock, and tow the car in. At that point, there's no visible mods. The only issue might be some ethanol left in the hoses and fuel rail. I would tell them the battery is fully charged, the started died. They would be concentrating on replacing the starter at that point and wouldn't think of anything. They would not know it was modified correct?

Once they started the car with a 91 in the tank but 85 in the lines...would this cause damage to the car? Once they suspected something, wouldn't all the e85 be gone from the lines/fuel rails?
Why do people insist on defrauding the dealer/manufacturer?
You decide to mod the car to get 10 hp out of it.
If the warranty is denied, be prepared to fix it yourself or pay for a repair.
Or wait until after your warranty is expired to mod it.

Is your starter actually dead or is this a hypothetical situation? If your starter is dead and you have a 6MT, push start it and run the fuel out of the lines & switch out the tune. Put as much 91 back in it and keep running out the E85.

If it's at a dealer and you replaced the start but hadn't switched the tune and are running the wrong fuel (either way E85-->91 or 91-->E85) then the car will run rough. If they started looking into that issue, and reading the PIDs then they would see something is wrong. If they don't suspect you are tuned then they'll start troubleshooting other things being wrong and basically you're just creating additional problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-18-2018), nikitopo (08-25-2018), Tcoat (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
use your mouth and syphon the gas out. And have a 5 gallon jug ready of what you want to put in.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Why do people insist on defrauding the dealer/manufacturer?
You decide to mod the car to get 10 hp out of it.
If the warranty is denied, be prepared to fix it yourself or pay for a repair.
Or wait until after your warranty is expired to mod it.
This is in no way trying to defraud a manufacturer or dealer. I just don't want to put up with the hassle of being denied any warranty work unrelated to my mod. I've heard of owners being denied warranty work on their 4th gear synchros because they had an unrelated mod, when it's well know that unmodified stock cars have the same issue.

But I digress, I was just asking if someone was able to get a tube down into their gas tank from the gas door. I wanted to see if anyone has tried this and were successful at removing the fuel.

Last edited by pcguru2000; 08-25-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
This is in no way trying to defraud a manufacturer or dealer. I just don't want to put up with the hassle of being denied any warranty work unrelated to my mod. I've heard of owners being denied warranty work on their 4th gear synchros because they had an unrelated mod, when it's well know that unmodified stock cars have the same issue.

In your given example, a starter/starting issue can definitely be related to E85 AND a tune. If you've done your research, you know E85 can have trouble starting in cold weather. Not saying this is your situation, but there is some relevance between the 2.

Quote:
Dealers are inherently lazy. Anything they can do to not have to do warranty work is the goal. The manufacturer pays them very little for warranty work and they would rather have someone like you, tell them you will pay them in cash at full price for all future work. It's a win win.
Except for tires & alignment, I do all my own work. I know the risks of modding a car. E85, pop tunes, boost, slammed cars, spacers, cut fenders, racing, etc, all this stuff. You cannot say this is what the manufacturer intended when they put a warranty on this car.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-18-2018), Tcoat (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
But I digress, I was just asking if someone was able to get a tube down into their gas tank from the gas door. I wanted to see if anyone has tried this and were successful at removing the fuel.
Well, back in the day - that's how some folks got some of their gas -

However, with the twin, I would suggest removing the back seat, unscrewing the fuel pump mounting plate and siphoning it out. -

humfrz
Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Dealers are inherently lazy. Anything they can do to not have to do warranty work is the goal. The manufacturer pays them very little for warranty work and they would rather have someone like you, tell them you will pay them in cash at full price for all future work. It's a win win.

Most dealers are not lazy nor wish to deny warranty work and do indeed do warranty work everyday without question or hassle. They do however need to protect themselves and their other customers from people that will indeed defraud them. The reason they are suspicious is that people try to pull that crap all the time. If you feel you need to change a car back to get warranty work then you also know that those mods could get you denied. Changing it back and then saying "I don't know it just stopped working" is a decision to defraud. If you mod your car then you accepted the risk that something would break and not be covered by warranty. If you think otherwise your sense of entitlement is outstanding. You want warranty don't change things that could impact it. You want to mod then man up and accept you may be denied.
Warranty costs get built into the price of cars and we all end up paying for them in the end. I don't mind paying for legit claims but I will be damned if I want to pay for some entitled snowflake that blew his engine up with a bad tune and then felt it should be replaced under warranty.
BirdTRD (08-18-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-18-2018), gravitylover (08-18-2018), humfrz (08-18-2018), IceFyre13th (10-04-2018), new2subaru (08-18-2018), nikitopo (08-25-2018), Ultramaroon (08-18-2018), why? (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Most dealers are not lazy nor wish to deny warranty work and do indeed do warranty work everyday without question or hassle. They do however need to protect themselves and their other customers from people that will indeed defraud them. The reason they are suspicious is that people try to pull that crap all the time. If you feel you need to change a car back to get warranty work then you also know that those mods could get you denied. Changing it back and then saying "I don't know it just stopped working" is a decision to defraud. If you mod your car then you accepted the risk that something would break and not be covered by warranty. If you think otherwise your sense of entitlement is outstanding. You want warranty don't change things that could impact it. You want to mod then man up and accept you may be denied.
Warranty costs get built into the price of cars and we all end up paying for them in the end. I don't mind paying for legit claims but I will be damned if I want to pay for some entitled snowflake that blew his engine up with a bad tune and then felt it should be replaced under warranty.
AMEN to that!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
In your given example, a starter/starting issue can definitely be related to E85 AND a tune. If you've done your research, you know E85 can have trouble starting in cold weather. Not saying this is your situation, but there is some relevance between the 2.

Except for tires & alignment, I do all my own work. I know the risks of modding a car. E85, pop tunes, boost, slammed cars, spacers, cut fenders, racing, etc, all this stuff. You cannot say this is what the manufacturer intended when they put a warranty on this car.

The example you gave is so outlandish and absurd for a car on powertrain warranty to have a dead starter. Listen to Narfalicious statements. If your running E85 simply drive the cars fuel down before maintenance dealership work. If you have a serious issue that prevents your auto FRS from starting and you use your OFT to CONFIRM it's not tune related or e85 related and it needs to be towed from a dealer:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80652

You should properly drain the tank from inside the car removing the rear seats and pumping the e85 out and replacing it with 93 octane (which is honestly what you should be using if its available not 91 you keep mentioning)

No because at this point your back on the stock tune, they wouldn't be looking at the fuel in the fuel rails or lines. Also how is there "e85" in the lines, they don't see the mix value and most mechanics won't be deep into technstream enough to see the engines LTFT, IAM, STFT to know your ethanol content is higher.

I HIGHLY suggest you do more research into OFT and tuning your car before you do anything else, your questions and lack of knowledge is startling especially when you have posted threads like this:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127664

As said before, you are not only defrauding a dealership getting warranty work done on a modded car, but hurting the process for everyone. It also highly unlikely on an NA car with just e85 to run into a serious issue that disables the vehicle and you don't know how to fix it...

Closed Thread

Tags
official snowflake thread, tcoat insulting members