follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
bjreynolds202

Drives: WRB 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Brian's Daily BRZ

Just bought my 2013 Limited DGM BRZ (6-speed manual) with 21905 miles on Oct, 28th 2015. This thread is to keep a log of its progress, hopefully giving insight to other owners as well as receiving some.

DISCLAIMER - I wont expect any FI anytime soon as this is a daily, financed(for now) car driving to and from work. Ultimate final goal will be supercharged for those wondering.

Little background on myself, I just turned 21 and recently began my web development/software engineering career. I have a 96 240sx s14 as the brz's older sister who has gotten to be too 'racecar' for a work commute. I'm no expert with cars, I receive most knowledge I have through @NotSoJDM 's help and forums. I love to learn though, so any input is greatly appreciated.

-Mod list:
*Led license plate lights
*Led Dome lights
*Led Trunk light
*Led Door lights
*Apexi Drop in air filter
*Grimmspeed Pulley Cover
*Grimmspeed Strut Bar
*Motul 300 Trans/diff oil

-The s14

-The BRZ First morning of Ownership 10-28-15

-Mod 1 : LED Lights 11-5-15 (21905 miles)
I dont have pictures of the LED lights I put it, but since its so commonly done I wont bother aside from mentioning that this was the first "mod" I did. These included the dome light, courtesy door lights, license plate and trunk lights.

-Mod 2: Grimmspeed Strut bar and Pulley Cover and an Apexi drop in air filter 11-18-15 (22500 miles)

Before:

After:

Install process: Relatively easy, I fumbled with the stock air intake box as I am used to the CAI in the S14. Once I got it off, took old filter out, replaced with the Apexi, replaced the airbox again with some wrestling it into place.
Moving on to the GrimmSpeed Pulley cover. Given really simple instructions from their website I didnt have any problems installing. Take off the old covers(x2) and replace with the single cover/tray using supplied hardware. Moving on to the Grimmspeed Strut Bar. Take off the bolts by the suspension top hats and place the strut bar in place. Replace bolts and tightened to it believe ~20 foot pounds of torque. (Torque spec is actually 12, I just did the lowest setting on the torque I had available.) Here is a link to Grimmspeeds instructions though : https://howtune.com/articles/80-inst...n-a-scion-fr-s.

Impressions: The Apexi Drop in Air Filter seemed to cause the car to require less throttle input when starting in first gear, took about a day or so to get used to it. Its no day/night difference, but I feel it breathes better given a possible placebo effect. My mileage is averaging around 33-34 mpg though so no complaints here. The pulley cover doesn't do anything performance wise, but it did help on the next mod given that it doubles as a bolt/wrench tray! No more spending 5 minutes looking for the tool you had 2 seconds ago! Also adds a dash of color to the engine bay. Every one is entitled to a little rice now and then. The Strut bar...is awesome. I love it, the steering feels more stiff, more responsive, the car doesn't throw me into the window(as much) in a corner and it gives you the balls to take corners much faster than you should. So while people may argue they aren't useful, it is reassurance in my head as I drive around town. Also a dash of matching color! Over all I would recommend all of these mods, although the pulley cover was part of he bulk purchase otherwise I wouldn't have considered it.

Mod 3: Motul 300 Transmission/Differential Fluid Swap 01-10-16 (24000 miles)

Had @NotSoJDM 's help today on his lift. I've read a lot of forums stating this shouldve been done by 22500 miles, or ASAP in other peoples minds. Understandably so now that I have had it done myself. Reason behind my motivation was a clunky second gear in the mornings, and an iffy 2 -> 3 shift at lower rpms, and I was also just begging for something to do to the car.

Install Process: This process was super easy given the lift. Thanks @NotSoJDM ! So remove the under tray covering the transmission via bunch of bolts. Unplug the top filler plug and then remove the drain plug below it (with a pan underneath to catch fluid is that's not assumed) Wait for it to stop draining, wipe it up a bit, including the plug as they collect a ton of metal shavings. Plug in the drain plug first, then fill the transmission with fluid of your choice until it starts to seep out. Plug it in, plug it in! wipe up, and replace the under tray via same bunch of bolts. Moving onto the Differential, exactly the same process, just no under tray to remove.

Impressions: Now this, to me, was more of a day/sunset difference. Its definitely noticeable and much better than OEM fluid. My second gear shifts are still a bit funky, but I'm starting to feel that its the nature of these cars. Shifts are more smooth, confident, and downshifts like a dream. I'm sure the car is happy to have fresh fluid even if there is no real performance gain from this "mod". Highly recommend it, super easy stuff to do.

Thats it for now. Plans for the near future include a Bayson-r front lip, the Gruppe-s UEL Header with a tune, and I am open to suggestions after that. (This is not asking what is possible to do(exhaust, FI, short shifters, suspension, etc, I have done plenty of research, I am simply saying if you have a mod in mind that fits a daily, fun, quiet build and can back up with your personal experience as to why your mod is better than others... I am open to suggestions)

Thanks everyone for reading! More to come soon.

-Brian
bjreynolds202 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjreynolds202 For This Useful Post:
LenA (01-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Deli

Drives: stock 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I like this! So far so good.
- Joseph
Deli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You should get the Grimmspeed Master Cylinder brace! (or the Perrin, or Radium, etc).

The difference in brake pedal feel was immediate for me, it eliminated the slight "dead" zone upon initial pedal press, even in DD driving.
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
What all is done to your s14?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
bjreynolds202

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
You should get the Grimmspeed Master Cylinder brace! (or the Perrin, or Radium, etc).

The difference in brake pedal feel was immediate for me, it eliminated the slight "dead" zone upon initial pedal press, even in DD driving.
@aegisdrgn - That is actually on my list!! Thank you for reminding me. I like the style of the grimmspeed one over others. I have noticed the brakes are a tad mushy even in DD. Ill probably order soon and I'll be sure to put up my own quick install guide/feedback for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
What all is done to your s14?
@e1_griego - The s14 had the engine rebuilt by @NotSoJDM, the engine has maybe a little less than 16k miles on it. Stock rebuild with ARP headstuds. DC Sports strut bar(love that thing too!) lowering springs/shocks, 350z anniversary wheels with 235/40 upfront and 245/40 in the rear. Crystal clear headlights, corner lights, sidemarkers(not shown) Injen/Aem cold air intake, some catback, high flow cat, and a DC Sports 4-2-1 long tube header(probably my favorite mod) As for near future plans, I have a VLSD waiting for install along with Meagan Racing engine/trans mounts, and I am playing with the idea of ordering full SPL Suspension once I have some space to work on the car for a couple days. Reason I got the BRZ was for the same sporty performance at less noise and stiff unforgiving suspension.

Last edited by bjreynolds202; 01-11-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added quote for better understanding
The Following User Says Thank You to bjreynolds202 For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (01-11-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
bjreynolds202

Garage
Mod 3: Whiteline tranny, diff, subframe bushing inserts 01-21-16 (25500 miles)
Install Process: Many videos on this. Process is simple, remove brackets in your way, support item you're working on, remove bolts, lower said item, grease and install inserts, raise up, rebolt, reattach brackets, you're done! *TIP* Leave car out of gear as it prevents the diff from moving down *TIP*

Impressions: Shifting is much more confident, although loud and embarassing when messing up a shift. 1st gear whine is very loud and noticeable on a stock exhaust car. 2nd gear is loud but sounds sweet, 3-6 are not as loud but still noticeable. Once you hit 70mph though the high pitch whistle/whine from the diff will become very, very noticeable and will require some aftermarket exhaust or loud radio to compensate. Taking a corner now is so confident and planted that you might be bored while within the limits of the law/safety. The grin on your face will say otherwise, but afterwards you'll think, "Wow, I could've gone faster and been fine!!" The car is much more responsive to throttle input, the subframe doesn't clunk with accelerating suddenly, it just gently pushes you back in the seat. I was very impressed by this as that symptom was annoying to me before. Cost me $120 for the three sets, the performance gain is seen in many aspects of the vehicle so I would say the bang for buck is great and recommended for anyone looking to increase handling response. The noise will take some getting used to on a stock car, but its not that bad if you're gonna be modding the car you should expect these things. No Pictures since inserts are all black and blend in with regular bushings. Thanks for reading. Always on the lookout for suggestions or mods to do next!

Tags
daily driver