follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P&L Motorsports 4-1 Equal Length Header fitment issue

So I just bought this header for the NA application with a view to upgrading to their turbo kit next year. I didn't know about the overpipe rubbing issues before I bought. When I messaged P&L, they assured me that they had changed the downpipe flange angle on the new headers and consequently, the rubbing was a non-issue. Does anyone here have a revised downpipe and the Motiv overpipe and can advise as to whether the rubbing was eliminated? I read in another thread that @charged86 said it was definitely not possible to pair this header with the Motiv overpipe without causing rubbing/noise/vibration, but I don't know if he had the revised headers on when he posted. If owners with the revised headers could input on any fitment issues, or someone who has both the header and Motiv overpipe could chime in, your help would be much appreciated.
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
grostoine

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I just have received the revised downpipe and it fit both my P&L overpipe dans the nameless OP/FP combo. Fitment is no longer an issue. If you have any, you send it back and they will correct it with no charge!
grostoine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grostoine For This Useful Post:
DR 86 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
As @grostoine posted, all fitment issues have been corrected. Some of the downpipes that went out had a bad angle on the flange that met with the overpipe causing it to come down lower than it should have.

They reworked the jig to eliminate it and have been repairing and replacing the problematic ones. If you check the groupbuy thread there are a few photos with the corrected pipe installed.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
DR 86 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My replacements should be in tomorrow at no cost to me. Awesome to see P&L step up to the plate on this one. Hope to have one of them on by the weekend.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just put mine on an hour ago. 50 miles later the issue is completely rectified. It is good to go!

On a side note, I bought my P&L header from a private seller, P&L still honor and stand behind their product and sent me the updated pipe free of charge. Highly recommend this company.
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the updates everyone. I've heard good things about their customer service and they had my header ready to ship in a week even with ceramic coating (didn't want to wait months and months). Plus, they are within driving distance of Toronto for install and tune of their excellent quality turbo kit, which is why I went with their modular NA to FI header.
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
ScottDRFT
Space Cowboy

Drives: '13 BRZ SWP Ltd --> '24 Trueno Ed
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I recently installed both the revised overpipe and the downpipe and now it is perfect! No more issues
ScottDRFT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottDRFT For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 86 View Post
So I just bought this header for the NA application with a view to upgrading to their turbo kit next year. I didn't know about the overpipe rubbing issues before I bought. When I messaged P&L, they assured me that they had changed the downpipe flange angle on the new headers and consequently, the rubbing was a non-issue. Does anyone here have a revised downpipe and the Motiv overpipe and can advise as to whether the rubbing was eliminated? I read in another thread that @charged86 said it was definitely not possible to pair this header with the Motiv overpipe without causing rubbing/noise/vibration, but I don't know if he had the revised headers on when he posted. If owners with the revised headers could input on any fitment issues, or someone who has both the header and Motiv overpipe could chime in, your help would be much appreciated.

i had to have my motiv overpipe cut up for peices and made new completly from scratch. my motiv pipe litterally sat on the frame rail bassically pinched on the frame rail and almost hit the cylinder head
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
i had to have my motiv overpipe cut up for peices and made new completly from scratch. my motiv pipe litterally sat on the frame rail bassically pinched on the frame rail and almost hit the cylinder head
With or without the revised P&L header downpipe?

Anyone know if the P&L header has any fitment issues with a Perrin overpipe?
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post

I don't know if I had the revision I would say I did not. I got mine in 8/10/13

its a great header though amazing sound.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post

His was prior to the revisionn and he modified the motiv pipe before the revision as well so the revison couldn't help him.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
header, motiv concepts, overpipe, p&l motorsports