follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #15
KevinTJH

Drives: Toyota GT86 RED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I have a pioneer AVH-x8500 with an add on GPS module u250. It works pretty well but part of me misses the older gps systems that does not require a 30 sec - 1 min long boot up. If you can afford it the pioneer avic-8000nex does seem like an attractive option. The 4000nex is pretty cool too with CarPlay when they get it to work. I don't know why they don't give us a highend unit with more physical buttons/volume knob, higher quality screen like a retina display (slightly smaller screen) and built in GPS. I would pay more to get that.
That's what I'm fearful about. What's the bootup like for the OEM unit?

If I really can't find what I'm looking for, then I'll probably just go for the OEM unit to avoid any further complications.

Just thought I might keep an open mind since I'd be happy to fork out an extra couple of hundred for a more luxurious looking headunit. Although long bootups is the biggest put off for me.

Apart from the OEM headunit, what's something similar (or better) I could get around the $600 mark?
I do prefer volume knobs over volume buttons, but it's no big deal.
KevinTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
GhostOp86
Fr-s Whiteout

Drives: 2017 civic type R #1353 2017 ss1le,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Side question anyone know if the Subaru brz 2014 stereo with navigation module fit the 2013 FRS?
GhostOp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I have an AVH-x5600BHS. It's good, boots up just fine, stock form has minor XM issue that firmware fixes. Supports navi addons, but I don't have module so cannot comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
That's what I'm fearful about. What's the bootup like for the OEM unit?

If I really can't find what I'm looking for, then I'll probably just go for the OEM unit to avoid any further complications.

Just thought I might keep an open mind since I'd be happy to fork out an extra couple of hundred for a more luxurious looking headunit. Although long bootups is the biggest put off for me.

Apart from the OEM headunit, what's something similar (or better) I could get around the $600 mark?
I do prefer volume knobs over volume buttons, but it's no big deal.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #18
KevinTJH

Drives: Toyota GT86 RED
Someone recommended the PARROT ASTEROID SMART headunit, which also features the Android OS on it but is a lot cheaper. Thoughts on that?
KevinTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
Someone recommended the PARROT ASTEROID SMART headunit, which also features the Android OS on it but is a lot cheaper. Thoughts on that?
The CaFi Dashlinq 4 seems a lot better than that one, and the CaFi fits into our cars with no ugly spacer kits.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #20
retsehc

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Fr-s
Garage
I am using kenwood Dnx571hd. It has built in Garmin navigation and works great for me. It is easy to bypass the e-brake signal and all the stuff you prefer OEM usb, aux and even the OEM microphone (though you need a 5v regulator to do that for the amplified mic).
retsehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 AM   #21
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm rather interested in this http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/product...0DAB/page.html

I beleive its the first aftermarket head unit to incorporate Apple play and also supports Android. Check out the features link for an idea of how crazy it is.

Careful though, you will then likely want to rip out all those average speakers and upgrade them. Car audio, much like any other car mods, can be one hell of a deep rabbit hole.

Last edited by Mim; 11-04-2014 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Add pic
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
football751

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That Pioneer unit looks similar to the AVIC/AVH NEX units here in the US. I just purchased the AVH-4000NEX for the BRZ. Though it's the lowest model, that's only because it doesn't include built-in GPS, other than that it's feature-equivalent to the AVIC-7000NEX and even includes a removable faceplate, which none of the other units do. I purchased all the required adapters through Metra, as I've had good luck with them before in Toyota vehicles, and the BRZ radio mounting and wiring is the same as Toyota's. The only think I haven't figured out is how to retain the stock mic and aux port (though I'll have the stock USB port).

retsehc, can you point to more detailed information on retaining the stock mic?
football751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Use this, 1/2 problem solved really clean, easy, and reliable
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2SF64E/"]Amazon.com: USB/ 3.5mm Waterproof Cable with Cover: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

I didn't bother with the OEM mic, it is a stereo mic IIRC which is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post
That Pioneer unit looks similar to the AVIC/AVH NEX units here in the US. I just purchased the AVH-4000NEX for the BRZ. Though it's the lowest model, that's only because it doesn't include built-in GPS, other than that it's feature-equivalent to the AVIC-7000NEX and even includes a removable faceplate, which none of the other units do. I purchased all the required adapters through Metra, as I've had good luck with them before in Toyota vehicles, and the BRZ radio mounting and wiring is the same as Toyota's. The only think I haven't figured out is how to retain the stock mic and aux port (though I'll have the stock USB port).

retsehc, can you point to more detailed information on retaining the stock mic?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
football751

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Use this, 1/2 problem solved really clean, easy, and reliable
Amazon.com: USB/ 3.5mm Waterproof Cable with Cover: Computers & Accessories

I didn't bother with the OEM mic, it is a stereo mic IIRC which is a problem.
Interesting, I may have to check that out. I purchased the Metra TOYUSB cable which is supposed to have the proprietary plug on one end and USB on the other so you can retain the factory USB port. Haven't pulled the dash apart yet to ensure it'll work. If it won't I may go that route.
football751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #25
Alabang BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Pioneer headunit with Apple CarPlay in a Subaru BRZ video review.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iph...ystem-3507818/
Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote