follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
Phuviano

Drives: FRS RS 2.0 #757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coolant levels

Hi, got my frs just over 3 weeks ago. I noticed that the coolant level when the car has been sitting over night, is just slightly above the low level mark. When I drive it, the coolant goes to almost to the full level mark, but it doesn't go all the way to the full level.

Is this normal for these cars? I'm not sure what to think, because I just got this car.
Phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Coolant expandes when hot, into the expansion tank, it will then return to the system when cold via the vacuum.

I set my coolant to the full when cold.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-rad...flow-tank-work
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:02 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It's normal for every car.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Absolutely normal for every car. In my experience with this car, if you fill the expansion tank to the "Hi" line, the level will drop to just above the halfway point between Low and Hi after just one drive, even if you have recently bled the system. So I guess what I'm saying is: don't chase the reservoir level after every drive; you're just wasting coolant as it must weep from the motor at some point. Personally, when the reservoir level drops below "Low," I fill to halfway and keep an eye on it. But maybe that's just my car...
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
Absolutely normal for every car. In my experience with this car, if you fill the expansion tank to the "Hi" line, the level will drop to just above the halfway point between Low and Hi after just one drive, even if you have recently bled the system. So I guess what I'm saying is: don't chase the reservoir level after every drive; you're just wasting coolant as it must weep from the motor at some point. Personally, when the reservoir level drops below "Low," I fill to halfway and keep an eye on it. But maybe that's just my car...
That’s just your car.. if it’s leaking someplace fix it or you didn’t fully bleed it good enough and driving and heat cycling it is slowly finishing the bleed job. Should fill to the high mark and it should always come back down to the high mark when cold.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuviano View Post
Hi, got my frs just over 3 weeks ago. I noticed that the coolant level when the car has been sitting over night, is just slightly above the low level mark. When I drive it, the coolant goes to almost to the full level mark, but it doesn't go all the way to the full level.

Is this normal for these cars? I'm not sure what to think, because I just got this car.
Well, like mentioned above, all cars have always done this. The difference is that in the older cars, the "expansion tank" was built into the top of the radiator and you couldn't see the level of the coolant rise and fall as it heated and cooled.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
Phuviano

Drives: FRS RS 2.0 #757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ok, thanks for the info guys.
Phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phuviano For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
That’s just your car.. if it’s leaking someplace fix it or you didn’t fully bleed it good enough and driving and heat cycling it is slowly finishing the bleed job. Should fill to the high mark and it should always come back down to the high mark when cold.
I've never noticed a leak anywhere so it might just be bleeding very slowly. It's done this for 5 years since I bought the car and I've never had issues with coolant temps. Just to be clear, once the level in the reservoir tank hits ~50% it doesn't drop any further. It just won't handle a reservoir fill above that for more than one drive cycle.

The car does gurgle a little on shut down at what seems like the heater core, which has always led me to think the core is just hard to bleed on my car. I got it to go away for a few weeks after changing my coolant and meticulously bleeding it but the sound has since returned and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Maybe there's a small crack in the core that evaporates before it hits the ground. I'm sure as hell not removing the dash to find out lol.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote