follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
ithinkimcrashing_

Drives: 91' 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
15 Year Old Dreams... (240sx Build-slowly but surely)

5.08.17Wow been a while since I've been here. For those who may remember, Last I was here I was 14 and announced I would be buying an FR-S soon. That's clearly changed in 2 ways. I am now 15, and am now buying an s13. I gave myself a financial reality check and decided it was the best decision. Cars are my passion and I have wanted one for a long time, after searching for 3 months for the right car, and deciding between an s13 or e36, I found the perfect s13. Going to see and most likely buy the car on 5.13 so stay tuned, but don't expect anything absolutely crazy, keep in mind, I'm 15!

5.13.17Well guys... Here she is. I'm beyond happy. I want you guys to guess what I paid for the car it has: new rims, new tires, a real nice sound system (im an audiophile), 161k miles.(Paid $2500)

6.6.17 Long time no post. Well anyways finally got around to cleaning the car properly. Had an issue with registering the car because the car needed to get smog checked. Finally got the done and it is legally ours! And yes sadly it is an auto but its no problem, hopefully I can do a 5 speed swap in the coming months. Planning to put in an order for a full I/H/E from ISR tonight or in the coming days, also need to get coilovers as soon as possible because the car rubs pretty badly in the front when turning and is quite literally a cm or less away from hitting the strut. also having a rubbing issue in the rear but haven't gotten around to checking that one out. So anyways here are some pictures from today in my "driveway turned photoshoot", just to show some exterior, engine bay, interior and the dual subs in the back. Enjoy

PS: if the pictures dont show, just open them in a new tab.

Last edited by ithinkimcrashing_; 06-06-2017 at 10:56 PM.
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Wow been a while since I've been here. For those who may remember, Last I was here I was 14 and announced I would be buying an FR-S soon. That's clearly changed in 2 ways. I am now 15, and am now buying an s13. I gave myself a financial reality check and decided it was the best decision. Cars are my passion and I have wanted one for a long time, after searching for 3 months for the right car, and deciding between an s13 or e36, I found the perfect s13. Going to see and most likely buy the car on 5.13 so stay tuned, but don't expect anything absolutely crazy, keep in mind, I'm 15!
Cool story bro.
Join Zilvia.net
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-08-2017), DustinS (05-08-2017), funwheeldrive (05-09-2017), Kris86 (05-09-2017), Tcoat (05-09-2017), weederr33 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Cool story bro.
Join Zilvia.net
Tell that to the guy who was building his skyline here
Jk but I have, and if we're gonna be real here, the Zilvia forums are kind of dead all I'm trying to do is share the build, nothing more nothing less.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Tell that to the guy who was building his skyline here
Jk but I have, and if we're gonna be real here, the Zilvia forums are kind of dead all I'm trying to do is share the build, nothing more nothing less.
Build threads usually have pictures.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Thinking that a car that is at least 23 years old is the cheaper way to go is very cute (and extensively naïve).

There are valid reasons why the Silvia forums are "kind of dead".
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Make sure you get an insurance quote. Not trying to trash your dreams here but that might be a bigger 'financial reality check' then you anticipate.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Build threads usually have pictures.
I said I was going to pick it up Saturday(5.13)....
Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Thinking that a car that is at least 23 years old is the cheaper way to go is very cute (and extensively naïve).

There are valid reasons why the Silvia forums are "kind of dead".
yes exactly why I came here
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Make sure you get an insurance quote. Not trying to trash your dreams here but that might be a bigger 'financial reality check' then you anticipate.
Well since I am under age, I cant even legal register it under my name so it will be going under my fathers name and insurance.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
circuithero

Drives: 2006 Infiniti M45S
You probably won't have much money anyway, but if I can offer some advice:

Don't modify whatever car you get. Take that money, buy a toolbox and learn to do some basic maintenance on the car. Instead of dreaming about turbokits and dope ass bodykitz n rimz go to a couple of local autocrosses and learn to drive the car. It will completely change your outlook about how to modify your car, reveal weak points and make you a much better driver. Remember, you can't take most parts from car to car but you can always take your driving skills with you, its actually a worthwhile investment.
circuithero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to circuithero For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-09-2017), ithinkimcrashing_ (05-09-2017), Tcoat (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Go read the "Doing it Wrong" thread on zilvia and make sure you do the opposite.

S13s used to be a good idea, but they are so old at this point and the owners so broke**** that good parts are getting hard to find.

It's easy to build an alibaba-spec car, but building something decent is getting more difficult.

I'm pretty familiar with s-chassis as I got my first one in 2006 and still have one that I do track days in:

e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
ithinkimcrashing_ (05-09-2017), Tcoat (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuithero View Post
You probably won't have much money anyway, but if I can offer some advice:

Don't modify whatever car you get. Take that money, buy a toolbox and learn to do some basic maintenance on the car. Instead of dreaming about turbokits and dope ass bodykitz n rimz go to a couple of local autocrosses and learn to drive the car. It will completely change your outlook about how to modify your car, reveal weak points and make you a much better driver. Remember, you can't take most parts from car to car but you can always take your driving skills with you, its actually a worthwhile investment.
oh ya for sure, the most I plan to do with this the the basic I/H/E. I think we all know very well that good power doesnt mean good driver. And this is the car that I am going to learn everything in. My first plan for the car is to just replace most if not all of the motor gaskets, and the tools wont be an issue, my dad is a "homemade mechanic" we have lots of tools. I've been into cars for a long time now so i've learned a fair amount of things so I dont end up killing myself in it. Obviously need to learn to drive with 100hp before 400hp XD
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Go read the "Doing it Wrong" thread on zilvia and make sure you do the opposite.

S13s used to be a good idea, but they are so old at this point and the owners so broke**** that good parts are getting hard to find.

It's easy to build an alibaba-spec car, but building something decent is getting more difficult.

I'm pretty familiar with s-chassis as I got my first one in 2006 and still have one that I do track days in:

Ok ill make sure to check it out! Plan is to make it a lightly track oriented car over time so maybe you can help point me in the right direction?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Post less and read more.

The 240 is the like *the* most modified car around. Everything has been done. Zilvia is not like it used to be, but all the information is still there from the days of yore, and it's still relevant. There is almost no question that you can ask that hasn't been answered at least 5-10 times already.

At some point when you graduate from alibaba-spec, you can go start reading on nissanroadracing.com. The registration link is broken, but there's still a ton of great info to learn. Probably better since you can't post anything, you can only read lol.

edit: as far as 'track oriented' all you need is a to go sign up for an autocross and start driving. $20-30/event, lots of friendly faces to help you suck less at driving. If you're serious about building something 'track oriented' then the mod path for building a decent autocross car will set you up for that. Good shocks, good tires, good diff, etc.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote