follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #477
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Subie dealers charge an arm and a leg for these too. I ended up buying two for 4.50 each. A couple were closer to $3 but then I had to pay shipping.
Ya if they were available through our chain they probably would have been like $10 for 1,000.
spike021 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #478
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastwurkt3am View Post
True, but that comes with most wings unless they're application specific. I'm not trying to knock the dude or his craftsmanship, he seems genuinely excited and proud of his product, and he should be because it looks great, but $350 is just entirely too much for an interim fix. For me, I'd rather just wait and spend $5-600 on an actual wing. Unsure on the quality of one you'd get for the $350, but you could still get quite a few.
Depends how you look at it. If you're thinking it's an interim fix, yes, it doesn't make sense.

But if you look at it how I look at it, and how my customers look at it, $250 for matte black to keep the same wing you already have and look 10x better. So now 17 owners who may have had to spend $600+ to get an aftermarket-looking wing only need to spend $250 to make their wing look more aggressive but still OEM.

Now lets say you get an aftermarket wing ($600) + trunk (~$400) or filled/painted (~$400) trunk. = ~$1,000 vs $250 (or $350 color matched)

It's all about perspective.
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
spike021 (05-03-2018), Tcoat (05-03-2018), tehShirt (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #479
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
True, but that comes with most wings unless they're application specific. I'm not trying to knock the dude or his craftsmanship, he seems genuinely excited and proud of his product, and he should be because it looks great, but $350 is just entirely too much for an interim fix. For me, I'd rather just wait and spend $5-600 on an actual wing. Unsure on the quality of one you'd get for the $350, but you could still get quite a few.
Honestly I think this comes down to one simple thing. You don’t have a need for the product so to be honest there’s no reason for you to come in and make a big deal about these or the price. But you are.

Think of it this way. Perrin made a riser product too. It’s sold for like 100 bucks. But it looks reeeally bad and not oem quality at all. That shows there’s a demand for increasing and improving the look of this stock spoiler. So paying Drambeenie about 300 bucks pays for the OEM look and on top of that helps pay for the R&D that went into it to ensure it would look and be solid. Perrin probably barely spent anything internally for that and they have probably their own R&D department. So it’s not a big deal for them to design a new product like this.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-03-2018), Tcoat (05-03-2018), tehShirt (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #480
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Perrin's risers are absolutely atrocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-03-2018), spike021 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #481
texastwurkt3am

Drives: '17 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Honestly I think this comes down to one simple thing. You don’t have a need for the product so to be honest there’s no reason for you to come in and make a big deal about these or the price. But you are.
Literally the only reason I found this thread was because I was looking to purchase a good looking riser this morning if I found one that looked nice and was moderately priced because I didn't want to drop the full amount for a wing right now. If you purposefully chose to look past all the praise that I gave him and only focused on the criticism of the price then that was a deliberate choice of your own. I tried to give constructive feedback, and if it came off more crass than I intended then I apologize, but I was simply trying to show that I would be more interested if it was more moderately priced
FT86 Speed Factory Catted UEL Headers, Motiv Overpipe, Ark Test Pipe, Ark Grip Exhaust, GrimmSpeed Intake, V4 Stage 2 OFT Tune, Illusion Red Powdercoated Enkei Raijin 18x8 Squared, Eibach Pro Springs, MTEC Clutch Spring, Audio Upgrade, Random Accessories
texastwurkt3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #482
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I don't think you're factoring in the cost of bodyshop labor/paint in regards to getting a spoiler to replace your '17 spoiler. The costs are a lot higher than the $500-600 or whatever you quoted.

The Drambeenie risers are priced fairly.

Quote:
Literally the only reason I found this thread was because I was looking to purchase a good looking riser this morning if I found one that looked nice and was moderately priced because I didn't want to drop the full amount for a wing right now. If you purposefully chose to look past all the praise that I gave him and only focused on the criticism of the price then that was a deliberate choice of your own. I tried to give constructive feedback, and if it came off more crass than I intended then I apologize, but I was simply trying to show that I would be more interested if it was more moderately priced

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #483
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Nah, I saw all of that.

But as I’m saying, complaining about the cost shows a misunderstanding of what goes into producing these. Even if you don’t go for the paint-matched versions, Drambeenie had to try multiple prototypes for both the shells and the cores in order to settle on the right materials for each. He had get the stock ones professionally 3D scanned IIRC (please feel free to correct me). He had to have those prototypes printed at least a few times for testing. He probably had a company help put with ensuring proper extension of the original shells. As in, making sure the shape and curvature to the new ones matched the old ones, and in such a way that would take into account the extended distance of the spoiler from the trunk.

All of these variables and more went into this. That’s why I’m comparing it to the Perrin version. Perrin almost certainly spent significantly less money to produce their version, and it shows. But even the amount they spent is trivial because they probably have at the very least most machines and gear to build prototypes, do the testing, and the produce the final run.

This reminds me of when people find out I’m a software engineer in real life and immediately they start telling me about their super easy app idea that shouldn’t cost more than a couple hundred bucks to make. But they forget the details. Like if it needs servers on the internet, if bugs are found who will maintain and fix those bugs after release, if there’s a crippling system update things might need to be refactored, etc.

That’s all to say that the price in this situation makes sense.

Fine, yeah I’ll agree it’s expensive. But for what it is the cost makes sense. You’re basically paying for the R&D that went into this, not just the product itself.

Again, if it’s such a barrier to you to pay, which is honestly very understandable, then do something else. But stop complaining that these are overpriced or whatever.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Brink (05-03-2018), dhuang (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #484
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This reminds me of when people find out I’m a software engineer in real life and immediately they start telling me about their super easy app idea that shouldn’t cost more than a couple hundred bucks to make. But they forget the details. Like if it needs servers on the internet, if bugs are found who will maintain and fix those bugs after release, if there’s a crippling system update things might need to be refactored, etc.
App developer here. Can heavily relate.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (05-04-2018), spike021 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #485
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went back to stock risers after having the taller ones on for several months...As soon as I shut the trunk and stepped back, I almost threw up. How did subaru not do this to start???
Completely worth the price.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #486
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Why the hell would you ever go back to the stock risers? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
I went back to stock risers after having the taller ones on for several months...As soon as I shut the trunk and stepped back, I almost threw up. How did subaru not do this to start???
Completely worth the price.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (05-04-2018), spike021 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #487
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What makes you think of this as an interim fix? I can't speak for everyone who bought these risers of course, but personally I plan to keep the spoiler installed on the Drambeenie risers for the life of the car. I'm not looking to change to an aftermarket wing. Keeping something of an OEM+ look was kind of the goal. If I wanted to put a big wing on the car I probably wouldn't have spent anything on an interim riser mod - and if I was looking for something just to hold me over until I had the money for a wing I would have gone for the ugly Perrin bricks at $88. Because I can't see how anyone could possibly stand to have those on their car long term, it's almost like they're designed to make people hate the OEM spoiler and just go buy a wing instead. There's your interim fix.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #488
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Why the hell would you ever go back to the stock risers? lol
I ended up going back to the stock risers on mine. Another DFW member traded me a wingless paint matched trunk for my Drambeenie Risers. I really really miss the risers, but now i have a second trunk to put a big wing on for track days without having to look like a ricer in my DD...
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #489
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Thousands of miles since installing these, always makes me smile.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (05-14-2018), johan (05-14-2018), spike021 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #490
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I find them a good loking product, but way too expensive. You can buy a spoiler for the same price.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, spoiler, trunk, wing