follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2020, 12:23 AM   #253
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised there's nothing in the video.
If I remember correctly, the sound was similar to what I get when driving over a rough lateral ridge/pothole on a highway, i.e. just a hard boom.

Checked, everything's fine.

Speaking of endlinks, is that expected that I'm rubbing a hole in the frame with my end link at full lock? This is camber maxed out on the top hats, measured at -3.1.
Any workarounds other than dialing the camber off?
It's possible, although not everyone has that issue, due to manufacturing differences. You could use the SPL endlinks to gain some clearance, or use crash/camber bolts to pull the damper body out and further adjust with camber plates.

What ride height are you set to?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 AM   #254
AngelGT86Racer

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 Acura TL 5AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Speaking of endlinks, is that expected that I'm rubbing a hole in the frame with my end link at full lock? This is camber maxed out on the top hats, measured at -3.1.
Any workarounds other than dialing the camber off?

The endlink clearance issue is fairly common on our cars when running a lot of camber through camber plates. I had this issue with my stock endlinks. With the strut pushed all the way in for camber, there's little room with the inner fender for the endlink to move. The contact looks somewhat minor, so just about any lower profile endlink will fix it.

I use RacerX as of recently when I replaced my Megan endlinks(replaced while troubleshooting a separate issue). I have plenty of clearance with camber maxed to -3.2*.
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelGT86Racer For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-31-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #255
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,291 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You could use the SPL endlinks to gain some clearance, or use crash/camber bolts to pull the damper body out and further adjust with camber plates.
Got it, thanks! Those RacerX endlinks look good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What ride height are you set to?
See the photo, I'd say about two fingers between the tire and the arches in the front.
The wheel/tires are 17x9 +37 Titan 7 T-S5 and 245/40R17 GT Radial SX2s.

timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #256
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's the minimum drop with these installed? I'm very interested, but my apartment complex also has some gnarly speed bumps. How close can you get to stock ride height?

Also, ^ Those Titan7 wheels look amazing. I'm glad I found out about those.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #257
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
What's the minimum drop with these installed? I'm very interested, but my apartment complex also has some gnarly speed bumps. How close can you get to stock ride height?

there is quite a bit of threadding on it im willing to bet you can actually run higher than stock
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #258
timurrrr

Quote:
According to FTSpeed, the non-CSG TEIN Flex A have these specs:
Base Ride Height Drop: Front -1.2 inches, Rear -1.2 inches
Max Low / Hi: Front -2.3 inches to 0 inches, -3.0 inches to 0.6 inches
Recommended Low / Hi: Front -1.6 inches to -0.8 inches, Rear -1.6 inches to -0.8 inches

I believe CSG Spec only differs in the valving of the dampers, not the springs?

Quote:
Thanks, I could say exactly the same when I found about them myself! It was hard to find any fitment info on those at the time, glad I was able to spread the word.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #259
timurrrr

Quote:
I think I also occasionally bottom out the fronts when going over rough seams in pavement on highways.

I presume adding a bit of preload, and then turning the bottom bracket by the same amount should give me the dampers a bit of extra room to with with under compression? Please advise.
Just to close the loop here, this weekend I tried this idea and it was successful!
Thanks to @AngelGT86Racer for sanity-checking my ideas before I implemented them!

What I did was I jacked the front of the car, measured the distance between the top of the tire and the top of the fender arch. On the front right it was 75mm, and on the front left it was something like 82mm.
I then took off the wheels and measured the A and B lengths of the assemblies and compared them to the values recommended in the installation instructions.
The "B" measurement (distance between the top of the damper body and the bottom collar) on the front left was ~2.5mm longer than recommended — so clearly I was running into the HBS more frequently than intended.
I've added 3 turns of preload (6mm, assuming 2mm thread pitch) and then shortened the damper body by 3 turns as well.

As a result, now my droop travel is the same left vs right (75mm or 3"), without changing the ride height under load.
Assuming equal total suspension travel, I now also have the same amount of compression travel left vs right.
To the best of my knowledge, this is really what damper body length adjustments are about — fine-tuning the compression/droop travel.

Then I went to test drive it, and confirmed that the ride feels a lot less harsh on the highway.
Haven't noticed any rubbing while spirited driving in the mountains, but will also monitor that at my next autoX or track day.

Will also check the amount of droop in the rear some day.

Last edited by timurrrr; 04-16-2020 at 07:23 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
AngelGT86Racer (03-31-2020), CSG Mike (04-02-2020), MrSkubi (03-13-2021), Randoman5 (03-31-2020), strat61caster (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #260
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
According to FTSpeed, the non-CSG TEIN Flex A have these specs:
Base Ride Height Drop: Front -1.2 inches, Rear -1.2 inches
Max Low / Hi: Front -2.3 inches to 0 inches, -3.0 inches to 0.6 inches
Recommended Low / Hi: Front -1.6 inches to -0.8 inches, Rear -1.6 inches to -0.8 inches

I believe CSG Spec only differs in the valving of the dampers, not the springs?

Thanks, I could say exactly the same when I found about them myself! It was hard to find any fitment info on those at the time, glad I was able to spread the word.
Thanks for your help. Buying both as soon as I finish being laid off because of god damned global pandemics.

It was a little odd that they initially sold them only in a size that doesn't really fit on the car, but I'm going to go with the 17x9s too.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #261
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just to close the loop here, this weekend I tried this idea and it was successful!
Thanks to AngelGT86Racer for sanity-checking my ideas before I implemented them!

What I did was I jacked the front of the car, measured the distance between the top of the tire and the top of the fender arch. On the front right it was 75mm, and on the front left it was something like 82mm.
I then took off the wheels and measured the A and B lengths of the assemblies and compared them to the values recommended in the installation instructions.
The "B" measurement (distance between the top of the damper body and the bottom collar) on the front left was ~2.5mm longer than recommended — so clearly I was running into the HBS more frequently than intended.
I've added 3 turns of preload (6mm, assuming 2mm thread pitch) and then shortened the damper body by 3 turns as well.

As a result, now my droop travel is the same left vs right (75mm or 3"), without changing the ride height under load.
Assuming equal total suspension travel, I now also have the same amount of compression travel left vs right.
To the best of my knowledge, this is really what damper body length adjustments are about — fine-tuning the compression/droop travel.

Then I went to test drive it, and confirmed that the ride feels a lot less harsh on the highway.
Haven't noticed any rubbing while spirited driving in the mountains, but will also monitor that at my next autoX or track day.

Will also check the amount of droop in the rear some day.
We just noticed the little brown option on the spring. Did you get a chance to pull the brown piece off the spring? If you haven't done so, please do so before you drive around in it. Thank you!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #262
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
We just noticed the little brown option on the spring. Did you get a chance to pull the brown piece off the spring? If you haven't done so, please do so before you drive around in it. Thank you!
Umm, I've installed the coilovers in September 2019 and was driving like that since then. Always thought the brown thing was a spring isolator...
You're saying I remove them?
Old 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #263
BRZ FTW

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Umm, I've installed the coilovers in September 2019 and was driving like that since then. Always thought the brown thing was a spring isolator...
Installing mine now and wondering the same. Are the brown plastic bits supposed to be removed while in use?
BRZ FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #264
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ FTW View Post
Installing mine now and wondering the same. Are the brown plastic bits supposed to be removed while in use?
Feel free to remove them during installation.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #265
BRZ FTW

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Feel free to remove them during installation.
Will do! Out of curiosity, what's their purpose?
BRZ FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #266
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ FTW View Post
Will do! Out of curiosity, what's their purpose?
Protecting the springs and packaging.
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
BRZ FTW (04-20-2020)